When I used to go to the page here in blogger to post, it would automatically show my reading list. Now I get some dumb blogger list. I have to manually change it just as I did when I started this post to Normal instead of paragraph. I wish there was a way I could save it the way I want it. Do you all have the same issues? Or is it crazy Peg?
We have a busy weekend. Realtors begin showing up at our home on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I have to finish my office painting and clearing it out.
Then we will make a choice. I'm leaning towards one of them already but am hesitant.
Then we will make a choice. I'm leaning towards one of them already but am hesitant.
I have such disdain for realtors. Example. The man next door.
His house went on the market on a Friday for previews. They held all contracts until Sunday night and by Monday a decision was to be chosen.
It was busy as hell next door. People coming all day every day and sometimes pounding on the door after hours. It was crazy.
They got over 18 bids. All over asking.
His asking price was $524 900 and he got 618,000.
His house is shit. So I was very happy.
But 6% of $618 is $37,080. (but my math sucks)
So each realtor (buyer and seller) gets $18,540.
The realtor was there on all 3 days for the open house hours.
She sat in the kitchen I was told by the current tenant.
The realtor paid for photographs and no video. That was it.
Was that worth $18,540?
Great gig if you can get it and I don't think it takes much to get it.
We considered since we need all the money we can get being in our bad situation that we'd try to do this ourselves and then get a real estate attorney but we chickened out.
You can now list yourself on the MLS for only like $500.
Normally if it's a For Sale By Owner (FSBO) then realtors will keep away their clients because they aren't making money. But in this market, all buyers are going on Zillow and Realtor.com and finding places themselves. So there is that. But losing 37K doesn't appeal to us when we are in this quagmire.
There is a new company called Houwser.
They charge you a flat $5,000 fee for showing your home, doing the contract, all marketing, and taking the photos and videos - just all the things a realtor would do but for a normal price, unlike a traditional realtor.
We will still have to pay the $3% to the buyer's agent. So instead of 37K we'd pay only the 18K. I'd like that. I am leaning towards that but Rick is hesitant. We shall see. What would you choose?
When he sees the number he may change his tune. And if the guy who is coming is a dolt, then I know Rick will have something to say about his sales skills. So not only do I deal with all this shit but I need to handle Rick too. I know that sounds mean. But sometimes he can be so stubborn that he can't see the trees through the forest. He knows that and he also knows my job is to make him see all sides when he does not wish to. Ah, just add the job to my list these days.
I should have been a realtor. You can make a very nice 6 figure salary around these parts for not a lot of effort. In my previous career, I worked around the clock. I was in different time zones. I would work late into the night and start real early. I was on a plane, train, or by automobile. It was fast-paced and contracts that were done were millions of dollars on the line. I felt I worked my ass off for my high pay and all the money I generated for the company. I am certain most realtors would say the same.
However, I have just never met one who does a lot of that work. I've hired several and all were worth nothing. The last one I did my own negotiating because she didn't think I should go that low. Guess what we got it for what I countered with and the dumb realtor thought was an insult. I think she just didn't want to get less money. She wasn't taking care of us only her pocket. Around here they are fat and happy because it's always been so easy in this market where we live.
Maybe this area just makes it awful for the rest of the world's realtors who do work hard. That could very well be the case.
The woman who was my neighbor when I moved in (2000) became a realtor. She told me she couldn't cut it. She in fact hated it. She worked for 6 months and made 100K. But she hated it so much she walked away. She told me it was easy, don't listen to them whine about all the work. They must never have worked in another corporate field. That made me laugh. She said she was bored and the people got to her, they whined a lot, co-workers and customers. That made me laugh. But she agreed with me she did make obscene money for the little work she had to do. Now when I deal with realtors here in the office you all know that I have said they are dumb.
Most, not all. The things they say to me blow me away. "Do you need lights in the bathroom to do your job?"
Yes, I was asked this. I wanted to say, "oh heck no we don't need no stinkin' lights we can do this in the dark" but of course, I did not.
I was asked this one on Monday - No bathroom window, inside bath, just dark with no electricity or lights. She couldn't understand for the life of her why we couldn't do it. She was in a hurry she told me 3 times. I explained that 1. we need power for the equipment, 2. I would think you'd want us to be able to see what we are fixing and we too would like to see what we are fixing. (would you trust a hairstylist to do their precision in the dark?)
What a moron and I get realtors like this daily.
My favorite recently was this doozy, 'why did we expect to be paid after we finished the job?'
What? I wasn't sure I heard her correctly. But she said it again.
I asked if she got her commission after she sold a house. Why of course she says with attitude. Do you pay your plumber before he leaves? She says of course.
I said, "We expect paid when we are completed with our job too.
But if for some reason you can't do that we certainly understand and we can reschedule your appointment for another time that works better for you."
Do you all see how ready I am to retire?
I never in a million years would have said that previously.
But she finally understood. She actually said, "Oh I see now"
How didn't she see that before? Get your haircut and walk out without paying and see what happens to you sister.
Someone will be chasing you with scissors.
So my mantra of 'I dislike people immensely' is still intact.
Will it change after I no longer have to answer the phones?
God, I hope so.
Ya'll know when this is over I will not be answering my phone for at least a month!
13 comments:
No idea but I worked for a real estate agent for maybe 2 weeks before I quit. She was a freaking psycho.
Julie, they all seem to be. We both were talking last night about one who got out of the car (she was helping us in Seattle) and she unzipped her top so her boobs were hanging out and hiked up her skirt. I guess she thought I'd buy after that. Rick and I laughed hysterically!! I think I wrote about that one. She was a hoot.
Have you looked into Redfin? (redfin.com) They're realtors who sound a bit like Houwser
When we bought the place in Florida the owner had all the paperwork ready and all we had to do was go to the title company. The closing was done on the computer. I don't even remember a lawyer being involved for either party. It seemed so easy.
When I sold my VT house it was a nightmare of conditions, inspections and upgrades to updated codes. I did have a real estate agent who was extremely helpful because the agent for the buyers was a barracuda who would have given me a nervous breakdown if I was on my own.
So while I did have one good experience, I don't really trust people and gentleperson agreements are a thing of the past.
Claudia was a real estate agent for about 5 years. The commission gets split 4 ways agent/company and agent/company. That's why it was a big deal if you could sell your own listing, double commission. So a $40,000 commission gets down to $10,000 for the agent. And then depending on who you are working for you may have to pay 10% of that back to the company.
And it was like a 24/7 job dealing with crazy people. One time she barely got a couple qualified for a loan. The next day they pull up in a brand new car. Another guy she hauled all over the place looking for a house. He then tells her he's decided to rent instead.
Back in the day, she listed one for $20,000. It was a fixer-upper but it wasn't in that bad a shape. No agent would even bring anyone by because they wouldn't make any money.
When you get an agent for your purchase, ask them if they are a buyer's agent.
https://www.realtor.com/advice/buy/what-is-a-buyers-agent-used-for/
I was thinking what Mike said, realtors work 24/7 and people figure their making a buttload of money and have no qualms about calling them about anything at anytime. No such thing as an uninterrupted vacation.
That being said, realtors are not my favorite peeps and I put them a few steps above car sales people which are on my deplorable list.
Sorry about the situation Peg......You know I am!
I don't trust realtors at all. Most of them are so phony and pretentious. Our houses are such a big investment and it's scary all the things that can go wrong. I'll be glad when the process is over for both of us. You're a little head of me. My photos are set for the first week in July if all goes according to plans.
Real estate sales can be wonderful or they can be hell. Sounds like you are approaching hell.
Grace - Redfin is just a traditional realtor - yes like Houwser but they ask for 6% unless you buy and sell with them.
Olga - the odds are in my favor that I will find a good one this time.
Mike -that may have been a long time ago when you drove around. Now they pick them from the website and then view them. If only they worked that hard today. Or perhaps it is just this area. And the realtor today said this person was bugging them so she was turning off her phone or blocking him until after the holiday. Claudia was just a good one. As I said the odds are in my favor to have a Claudia this time.
Linda, see above. It could be just around here though.
Jean, trust is an excellent word for how I feel. We won't be putting it on the market until July 1 so we're about the same.
Susan - 😂
I loved our realtor who helped us buy 2 houses when we moved to Phoenix (one for son/family to "rent" from us and another for us to live in). She was wonderful. Truly wonderful. I can't say anything negative about her. Our price ranges we were looking for were low considered on what she usually handled (she told about listing a mansion for several million dollars and what she would get for commission when/if it sold and our properties were pennies compared to that). But she worked really hard for us. Every house we wrote an offer for (and there were plenty) she always said to ask for the fridge and LOL both houses we ended up buying we asked for and got the fridge (which probably would have been part of the house sale :) She was absolutely amazing. We had so much fun looking at houses together. She really knew what we wanted and the moment she walked into a house she knew it wouldn't work for what we wanted. We would make up stories of who lived there after viewing what we saw in the house. Again, she was a gem :)
That being said, I hate having a house listed for sale. Its a bit different now with open houses and bids needing to be turned in by a certain time, but its better than having the house on the market for a few months and having to keep it up for showings.
The real estate market is booming in Phoenix and houses are going for higher than the asking price. Its definitely here a seller's market.
I loathe answering phones for a job so I too would be happy to be getting away from it. I even hate talking on the phone these days.
betty
Betty, I'm due for a good one and the odds are in my favor!!
I see where Mike is coming from . I once thought about becoming a realtor but the 24/7 aspect was unappealing. I have a good friend here who did it and she said drovomg the
looky loos who ate up your day as you showed several homes only to not even buy anywhere. They just wanted some free entertainment.
Not sure I mentioned it, but my son and daughter-in-law have entered the real estate market as agents. I was visiting and my son's wife was working with a guy from New York who wanted to buy rental property in Austin. I have no idea how many miles she drove showing that a**hole around, showing him everything he wanted to see, spending at least 3 entire days with this guy.....who then put in an offer with another agent. So, jerks abound on both ends.
Post a Comment