The weekend of Mother's day I had so many people, stranger people, wish me a Happy Mother's Day.
I have a fur baby but strangers don't know that.
I have a fur baby but strangers don't know that.
Do strangers walk up to random men and say, "Happy Father's Day"?
I bet the answer is no. I don't think anyone has ever said that to Rick other than his daughter.
I walked into a Mcdonald's while waiting in the car for my dog at the vet. (no other bathrooms around)
We still can't go into the vets - they walk out to fetch your dog from your car.
As I walked in 2 women were waiting in the vestibule and they were so animated and were saying Happy Mothers Day to all females walking in. I smiled and said thank you and hope they enjoyed their day. But...
When I was young it bothered me so much I normally said something like, "thank you but I'm not a mother" But then you'd see the person who thinks they are being nice look deflated so I just stopped saying anything other than thank you. I mean they think they are being nice so it's not their fault this bothers me. But I admit it REALLY bugs the shit out of me. But why?
When I was young I get it.
I was bombarded with everyone coming at me for not choosing to have kids. ALL the time.
It was everywhere and why everyone thinks they should comment on one's reproductive choices is beyond me. I have never walked up to someone and said, "Gee don't you think you've had enough kids already?"
Yes, the bubble over my head may be thinking that but I would never say it. It's their choice. The only time others should comment, intervene or say a single thing - is when a child is being abused or hurt in some way. Otherwise, be quiet.
Do you know that no one has ever said to Rick, 'Oh you've had a vasectomy and you're so young, don't you want more children?" He was in his 20s.
I guess having the vasectomy doesn't make them see how dumb that question truly is. If I had ever had my tubes tied when I was 28 I would have had to lie to survive the family wrath!
I wonder how women who long for kids and can't have them feel when strangers just say, "Happy Mothers Day" to other random strangers.
I bet that stings. Or someone who has lost a child.
I think we need to keep that phrase for mothers you know, your family, etc. Not strangers who happen to look female.
I got back to my car after the McDonalds scene and I asked Rick if anyone ever says Happy Fathers Day to him that are perfect strangers. He sat and thought about it for a while. Yes, he says, Doggy Day Care remember?
Yep. He got a paw print framed of Izzy from Doggy Day Care for Fathers Day. I said, "I think that is a bit different. They are playing on the Fur Baby aspect and it's cute. I mean random strangers like I just encounter at the Mickey D's, does that happen to you?
Never.
Just as I thought. But why?
11 comments:
Nope, never happened to me.
Here you go, just for you...
Them - Happy Mothers Day!!!
You - Sorry, but it's not a happy day for me. My four kids were burned to death in a house fire on Mother's Day.
Mike, ooh thats mean!I wish I had it in me to say it.
I have a long reply and it disappeared! But, yes, people say it to me all the time even people know I'm not a mom say it. Not having kids has made it hard to have female friends all these years. Even now it's the grandmother aspect that separates me from the normal chit-chat of women in my peer age bracket.
My daughter feeis like you about Mother's Day wishes. I am going to share your blog and comments with her.
My condolences to Mike. His comment shocked me. It must be very difficult for him on both Mother's Day & Father's Day. I'll pray for him. I don't really know what to say Peg.
Cruisin Paul
Jean, oh I hate when that happens (reply disappears) I understand what you are saying. I have been on the outside of that for years. Men are not ostracized by not having kids. I wrote about this in my corporate world years ago and nothing has changed sadly.
Sybil, oh I don't know how much help I will be but it's nice to know you aren't alone! Because they want to make us feel that way.
Paul, too funny. Have a good day!
As long as I had a living mother, I just took it as a salute to her. Somehow now, I don't get the wishes which is fine by me.
Patti, hmmm....because I didn't have a living mother perhaps? I wish I knew why it bothers me so. But it's only once a year. Just got back from trying to find gas. Okay let's look at the bright side. Stanton likes spot #2 and we've actually won a couple of games. Now, do the liquor stores deliver?
Yeah it is kind of a weird thing to say to people. I know some women who had a lot of miscarriages and no living children. I bet they get upset by it.
or hurt Julie.
I suppose saying Happy Mother's Day to everyone is rather like greeting people in December with Merry Christmas.
Post a Comment