Monday, May 3, 2021

My Friday

I've debated whether to post this. Be kind.

Friday I had a typical day. I was working from home. Izzy was sleeping downstairs and I was on the phone. I hear my doorbell ring. I can't get it because I am on the phone.  So be it.  I hung up and the doorbell rang again. 

I had on my headset as I ran down to the first floor to get to the front door.
A very nice-looking young man with an iPad or a tablet of some kind was standing there. I opened the door and said I was sorry it took me so long to get to the phone but I was on the phone. He pointed to my headset and he apologized and said, "no worries, I understand. Is this a good time for you ma'am?"  
The fact that he actually asked me made me want to say yes, it is. 

Then I asked what he was selling. He then had the biggest grin ever.  
I asked him into the foyer. He preceded to talk about the exterminating service he was selling...a contract type of thing.  I explained we were moving in a couple of months so this is not something I wish to spend money on right now. And no I don't have ants or issues. 

I have to tell you this young man was pretty. Yes, He had on a baseball cap that matched his company shirt but my God you can't deny his looks.  
He sure as hell can't hide them when you look like this.
When he smiled I swore I heard music. 
He told me that 99% of people who answer the door are extremely rude to him. 
He thanked me for being so nice to him. Why wouldn't I be? I hate when people are mean to me for no reason daily at work so I wouldn't do it to him.

He said something to me about being Dominican. He said, "You don't hear my accent," I said I really don't. Did you play ball? Of course, when I hear the Dominican republic I think baseball that's how I'm wired.  He laughed and asked some of my favorite Dominican players and when I told him he said, "Not Cano?"  I laughed and said, "not since he left the NYY"  The kid belly laughed and said, "Oh I see how it's gonna go." Then I said, "okay David Ortiz" then to show you it's not like that. He laughed and said how much they love Big Papi down there. 

Of course, he was selling me shit but I was asking him all kinds of questions. A nice break in my day that the poor fella didn't count on.  He came to America with his parents to get a better life. He ended up in Idaho. He married an Idaho gal and he flashed me his wedding band, all proud. God, he was cute. 

His dream since he was 5 was to be a pilot. He is working 2 jobs to pay to become a pilot. Just then I got a flash of something. I get these from time to time - no I don't talk about it here - but they are always spot on. But this time instead of keeping it to myself I blurted it out. I said, "You can be a family man and fly, I know a lot of pilots they all make it work! And just think once you are working for a commercial airline all of your family can come to visit the baby probably for free"

He stood there with his mouth open for a longer than normal time. 
I said, "did I say too much?"  
He said, "no but no one knows about the baby but my wife and me,"  
I said I know. He asked, "May I give you a hug. I've been vaccinated"  
I took the risk and I hugged this beautiful young man. 

He so wanted to tell the world but his wife says not yet. I told him it is all going to be fine. I don't know how or why or when, but I feel it for you if that makes a difference. Besides that great smile has got to win you some points. He blushed. 

I never heard an accent. I saw that he may have been biracial but who cares and that doesn't mean he's not from here. He was just a nice young man, who was respectful, hardworking, and good at sales (although I told him a couple of things that I could have jumped on but was being nice and suggested how he reword that so they can't overcome that objection and he was tickled) 
You can tell when someone has a good heart. 
This man was the poster boy for all that.

As I discussed this occurrence Friday with Rick he said why can't American young men be like this? I think some do but no, not many.  I said probably because they get everything they want and have never had to work for anything in their lives. That's my guess but what the hell do I know? I mean our parents came to this country with nothing - they had to have a work ethic to survive. No one needs that today, or they don't think they do.

I wish he could come back again today. He gave me a high. 
I hope it all turns out just fine for him. He seems to deserve it.
Rick said he found a mother figure, he may stop over to get fed.
That made me giggle.

12 comments:

Mike said...

Sounds like he was too nice for Idaho. I know I shouldn't pick on the whole of Idaho but a lot of crazies come from there. Good luck to him.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Don't you just love it when you have a serendipitous meeting like you did with the young man. Those kinds of connections are rare as too many young people don't take the time to have a real conversation with someone old enough to be their mother.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, it was so nice on so many levels.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, maybe because he is not from Idaho but the Dominician.

Arkansas Patti said...

Aw Peg, what a wonderful story. You so deserved this young man and he deserved you. Pretty sure you made eachothers day. Ya kind of made mine.

Julie H said...

MARGARET don't let strangers into the house when you are alone!! Even if they are cute lol. Step outside to talk to them!

Ami said...

I tell 'my' kids all the time that it costs nothing to be kind. To say something nice to a person instead of something that might make them feel bad.

It sounds like you said a lot of things to make this guy feel good.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, he was harmless and I knew it. Besides I was holding the storm door open and he could easily have gotten that from me if he wanted to push me back inside. No it wasn't like that and I "felt" it. I could break him like a twig and my dog was here and she'd hurt him if he gets too close to me like she did the Satellite man who screamed like a little girl. He got too close to me and Izzy came out from under the coffee table and it made him jump. She got him bad!

Patti - see what nice people can do for your soul. It made everyone happy. I can only imagine what all the mean people do to me. But let's just think about this 20 something because he made me happy and I know he will be a big success. That kind of drive will get you somewhere!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ami, he made my day too!

Sheila said...

I live in Idaho, and, yes, there are a lot of crazies here. :-)

Olga said...

Today seems the day for impressive young men. Nice to know that they are out there.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Sheila, I know no one from Idaho - that was Mike's comment not mine. 😁 Except for the Boise Boys on HGTV and now you.

Olga - you too? Hope you're feeling better today.