Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Nothing Much

I need to find someone to talk baseball. The no-hitters, the lack of hitting, and only hitting for the fences. I have some strong feelings on this stuff and Rick barely knows what I am talking about most days. Oh well. It is what it is to paraphrase Popeye.  Do you know I said something about Popeye when I said? 'I yam what I yam. My niece only knows of Popeye's chicken so she didn't get it. Dear Lord, I'm old.

Could you do that split?  I most certainly could!  HA. 
When I was 17 maybe but that is a long time ago. 
When I saw the replay of this I was blown away by how he kept his right foot on the base. I suppose it doesn't hurt to have long legs and be 6'3" either now does it? This kid has had a helluva year.  His arrogance is sickening but that's how all the young players are these days.  Sadly he doesn't play on my anemic team. And his attitude makes me happy about that. But boy he is fun to watch when he isn't showboating or flipping a bat.

Did you know that Starbucks has a pupocino? We stopped to get gas while on the road this weekend and I went into the Starbucks and used the restroom and bought 2 small coffees for us. The woman was chatty Cathy and asked me so many questions. She was super friendly so I went along. She asked if we had a dog with us and I said yes we do. But thinking why does she care about this? Then she said would you like a pupocino for the dog? I asked what that was. It is a teeny tiny cup (like shot glass size) of whipped cream and a very small dog biscuit shaped like a dog bone on top. Yes, Izzy is on a diet but she had a 6 hr drive in the car and was behaving so I let her have a cheat. What the hell she is over 80 years old in people years. And truth be told 6 hrs in the car is 2 hours too long for me. So imagine this poor thing who doesn't understand why she is trapped in the back seat. I'm glad I got it. We had gotten her out to pee and walk around a bit and then we got her back in the car. She was finally settled in the backseat resting on her "elbows" as we got on the turnpike. That's when I gave her this treat. She downed that whipped cream and dog biscuit in record time. But then she slept some more. That sure helps when stuck in a car with a dog. Thankfully she loves car rides.

They changed Rick's medication and his legs are so swollen. He lumbers now when he walks. He said he feels as if he has weights on his legs. They are having a difficult time getting this medication balanced and correct. You may have noticed in the video. This morning they were better. I'd like to get this wrapped up before we leave. Getting a new doctor will take forever you know. Honestly, people worry about a vaccine when all these drugs do all these horrible things to you. He is struggling right now. But he is moving forward because what the hell choice do we have right? When I said something to him about feeling bad that he was suffering like this. His response? "I'm not in the bathroom all day like you so it isn't so bad." 
While true I don't think either are fun.

This is from last weekend when Izzy was quite frustrated looking at the water and not being in the water. Her talking (or bitching) to Rick cracks me up. 

13 comments:

Bobi said...

I used to be a huge baseball fan but no more. I still watch sports highlights and was impressed with that split. Wow! About the no-hitters, why are there so many? I don't get it. They used to be so rare when I was a fan. What gives?

Olga said...

I couldn't do a split even at 17. I haven't been doing my yoga since the detached retina and I can already feel the little flexibility I did have going away so I did some standing poses today. My regular eye doctor assured me I would be able to stand on my head if I wanted once the eye is healed. I am looking forward to that since I have never actually accomplished a head stand before either!

Mike said...

I don't know any of the players anymore. In the good ol' days, the teams stayed together more than they do now. By the time I've watched a few games, the season is over and half the team moves to other teams.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

For a short time in high school I dated a baseball player. He was not really very nice. I guess that turned me off from baseball....that and how long the games take!
But all of us have an interest or a passion that we don't have anyone to talk to about it much. Just keep sharing it with Rick, maybe someday he will figure it out and enjoy it as much as you! Or maybe you'll meet someone who's a baseball fan in your new city!

betty said...

I know a few people who are really into baseball and can "talk the talk". They know not to "talk to talk" with me because I don't really follow it or much sports these days.

I never could do the splits, no matter what age I was. Admire him though!

betty

Arkansas Patti said...

I feel your pain. These pitching duels and low scoring games except by the long ball make me glad I record them so I can FF past some of it. Striking out no longer seems to bother the hitters. Hopeful to at least enjoy some special defensive plays. Sigh.
Didn't recognize the splitter. Who was that nimble guy?

Cruisin Paul said...

The Detroit Tigers pitcher was one of those pitchers who threw a no hitter. I was so excited when I heard. Your videos of Izzy are so cute. What about you being in the picture? See ya Peg.

Cruisin Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bobi - they are taught to hit the long ball instead of hitting.

lga - God this made me laugh. Flexibility is something I too am losing. Since tearing my meniscus in yoga I haven't been back so when I move in the next few months I hope to get back into it. It makes such a big difference. You don't even need to be bendy to start. I just need to do it.

Mike - they do rotate like crazy. I get it.

Yvonne - I was married to a minor league ball player it didn't make me hate the sport. You just didn't have the love for it to begin with. As for length of time. Always shorter than a football game! That is the truth.

Betty - I worked on my splits in high school all the time. But no longer. I couldn't do all those cheers and flips and splits if my life depended on it.

Patti - Agreed! No one hits. It's either long ball or they do nothing. That is not baseball. I long for the Jeters and B.Williams who were consistent hitters and always made a huge difference. It makes me so frustrated and I too am now FF through games. WTH? That guy is on the Padres. Fernando Tatis Jr. He has something like 173 hits in 200 games. He is so cocky and arrogant though. I don't like that one bit.

Paul - yes they did as did my team. I am never in the picture Paul. I'd break the camera

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Levi LOVED to go to Starbucks and all I had to do is say the word and he'd get excited.

I love movies about baseball players and golfers but can't stand to watch either sport.

Abby said...

I fear that if you started talking baseball with me, it'd be like when my young coworkers talk about video games: "I can tell you're speaking English, but otherwise it sounds like foreign language"

Izzy is too cute! Our Merlin similarly "bitches" like that.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, well if Izzy knew about pupoccino's she would be excited too!

Abby, I get that. it's me and all other sports. (and video games of which I Have NEVER played - I'm a loser - unless you count pacman)
Merlin bitches like that too huh? It is funny. Hope you are well my dear. You've had a tough few weeks.

Julie H said...

You can call my husband to talk baseball he'd probably love it lol. I saw a video the other day of a husky hanging out the window at a Starbucks yelling for his treat lol.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Julie that is damn funny. And Huskies really "talk" !