Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Fun Day

Well, my tests were fun. I got there at 7:50am. It took me exactly an hour.
I left at 12:38 p.m.  Talk about a long, horrible morning.  
This was the most traffic I've seen here, I thought I was back in DC. 

First, I got an IV in my arm for the nuclear test. Then they had me sit in the lobby and wait an hour. Then I was taken to a room for the pictures of my heart.  I was to lay on this bed and this machine went around me. It took 30 minutes. I was connected to things, and I was wrapped up like a baby who was swaddled. 
I yawned two times. I got yelled at.  Oh, this man was pissed. His face turned red. But I tried to repress it but it didn't work. 

Not only did the old curmudgeon yell at me for yawning but then he took me back to the pictures to show me what I had done. So, then he just shamed me. This guy was a peach. I apologized. But you guys I was up at 5 and honestly most of the night so yes, I had no caffeine or water and I'm tired and I yawned. I didn't move my body as he instructed but yawning was bad apparently because it moves your heart. Who knew? He wanted me to see how it moved he kept pointing at it and saying, "See, See what you did?"  
JC I'm really very sorry.

I then am taken back to the nuclear dept. for the stress test. They hook me up and put a big square piece of machinery on my abdomen and then wrap me tightly.  At one point I said to the young man, I promise I won't run away. They had me tethered every which way.  He laughed and said, keep that attitude because in a few minutes, you'll be cursing at me. There were 2 female nurses and 1 male nurse We waited 30 minutes for the PA to show up. Ooh, the nurses were pissed. 

Once the PA arrived, I got on the treadmill with all the cords and my right arm with a blood pressure cuff. They made me move up closer to the handles of the treadmill. I was not to let go of the handles until my blood pressure cuff began to go off then drop my right arm down by my side. 

The PA was constantly harping at me. "Take longer strides," she yelled. 
The male nurse said, "Do you see the length of her legs?"  
But I tried and I took long exaggerated steps as best I could and then she told me to go back to my normal walk. I saw the nurses roll their eyes at her. I was glad to see that because I thought it was just me.  Then as the incline was getting much steeper and it was going much faster the PA would yell, "Are you okay? Can you do this?" 
I wanted to yell back, "I'm doing it aren't I?"  But I just told her I was fine. 
Then she'd say, "Are you sure?"  At this point, I politely say, "I'm positive if this gets to be too much, I'll let you know please stop asking me that" 
The male nurse who was on my right side holding the treadmill patted my arm. I knew he thought that was okay. I mean honestly if you thought I'd die walking fast on an incline why are you doing this to me? 

They wanted my heart rate to get to 137. It did and then it slowed down and the incline went down slowly. I didn't find it difficult at all. Oh, my thighs were beginning to burn a bit towards the end, but it wasn't difficult, and I didn't breathe heavily or any of the things that damn PA was yelling at me. 
It was a small room I don't know why she was yelling. Perhaps she thought I was deaf. Perhaps she was just an idiot. I don't know. After it was done, I had to wait an hour. I was allowed to eat and drink anything now along with taking my morning meds. I grabbed a coffee, and I ate a half sandwich of a PB&J that I brought from home. They told me they had food for me, but it was nothing I could eat so I knew to bring my own food. 

Then I had to go sit for 30 minutes. Then I had an ECHO. Easy peasy by a ridiculously cute young thing named Joshua. Sure now when they are flopping my breasts around I get this cute young thang. Why not the military PA now?  

After the easy ECHO with the cutie patootie, I had to redo my pix because I yawned. I got in and he started on me. I was biting my tongue. I had to put my arms over my head and back as far as I could. I said, "Ah, it's much easier this time without an IV in my arm pinching me."
He said, "I swim so I am in great shape so I can do this easily."  
He has to show me, gee thanks.
As if my not being in shape was the reason my IV was pinching me for 30 minutes.
I responded with a smile and said, "Good for you, this will be easy when you have this done then."  He huffed.

He was passive-aggressive and snarky, and I just didn't like him. 
I dozed off the 2nd time of pictures and I wasn't supposed to fall asleep. 
Honestly, I didn't mean to. He came over and pushed on my shoulder roughly and said, "Hey we're done, and you weren't to fall asleep."  
I told him you told me to not take deep breaths, not to yawn so falling asleep was my best bet. I'm joking, I am seriously sorry, I really didn't do that on purpose. I'm tired and I'm lying down. It just happened. 

Oh, he was mad. He said if you moved, we'd have to do this again. 
He went to look at the pictures and came back and said, "You're lucky they are fine"
Good, was all I said. 
The damn prick. "I'm in great shape...blah blah blah"
Good for you, you're still a homely twit.
Gee, I'm not bitter, am I? 😉

I was finally let loose to come home. Thankfully the traffic at 12:40p was easier and I made it home in 30 minutes.

That was a fun day!

13 comments:

Ami said...

Report that dipshit. Hospitals take complaints seriously if they are articulate and straightforward. What a piece of crap. I walked out on a surgeon many years ago after telling him that there was no way in hell I was entrusting any part of my care to an arrogant prick like him. I did not add fck you, but I think it was showing in my eyes.

You don't deserve to be treated like that and that guy should not get a free pass. Who will he yell at next?

Shitbag.

Give me his name and phone number. I have to talk to him.

Mike said...

Sounds like you had a really FUN day.

bluzdude said...

I bet that guy wouldn't have said that stuff to Rick. Sexist pig...

Grace said...

Boy do they do nuclear stress tests differently down there than up here. I've had 2 nuclear stress tests because I cannot walk on a treadmill fast enough. My husband had a nuclear stress test 2 weeks ago, agin no treadmill. While you cannot eat or have caffeine you are encouraged to drink water or juice to stay hydrated. The swaddling/wrapping thing? Never happened to me or my husband. I don't understand the treadmill with a nuclear stress test - the whole point of those are for people who can't walk on a treadmill...

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Grace, because of Rick's issue walking after stroke he had the kind you did. Those types are used for those who can't run, jog etc upsteps. My mom had that kind too. They gave a medication to increase Rick's heart rate to feel like he was exercising. I did not need that kind because I can run & jog on my own easily so hence the treadmill. Give me a few years, it may be different for me too.😄

Cruisin Paul said...

Wow, What type of hell were you given and these people were so mean. You're lucky to be alive Peg. But you are OK that's all that's OK.

Cruisin Paul

Cop Car said...

What an ordeal you were put through. Hard to understand the treatment you were given. I apologize for the human race and I'm glad you came through it in flying colors. Your treatment, alone, should have stressed your heart from the anger induced.

Twenty years ago (age 66 at that time), I had what I think was testing similar to yours. They used thallium as the tracer. Like you, my leg muscles tired more than did my respiratory system. Ended with reaching 166 bpm and BP of 160/70, so they decided that I had had a false positive in my non-tracer treadmill stress test.

Upon learning that the non-tracer treadmill stress test often gave false positive results for women, I asked why they didn't go straight to the thallium testing for women. They save more money for women (and insurance companies) by doing the cheaper test, first. The cost ratio was something like 1:4 as I recall.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ami, c'mon over and slap the twit!!

Mike, besides that awful man, it was easy and the drive was the worst of it.

bluzdude, Oh I know he wouldn't have. But women always get the brunt of it. If I complained or acted out back at him, I'd be the bitch. :-)

Paul, the doctor called, and I am in great shape as far as my heart. So now they will just adjust my medication. I think it's all just stress. No biggie. I'm fine.

Cop, we women always get the short end of the stick don't we? They don't study us as they do men and then give us the same treatment and can't understand why it doesn't work. I wish women ruled the world.

Julie H said...

Oh I'd have a hard time laying down and not yawning or falling asleep. I'd be like guess my insurance can't pay you since I yawned. Geeze.

Olga said...

I guess bedside manner is no longer a topic in training the medical professionals. I know Don has mentioned some very nice staff that it's that one with an attitude that sticks.
So he's a swimmer and can lift his arms -- probably wanted you to swoon and compliment his athletic body.
Glad your heart is all okay but you probably didn't need the stressof these tests added to everything else right now.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, you are so right. The nurses were nice and funny. Joshua was a gorgeous hunk of man and sweet as could be. The PA I think just thought because I have white hair I was deaf. But this guy was horrible. You're right, he probably did want me to be impressed and possibly swoon. Creep. I am perfect as far as my heart. It's just stress the issues I was having. I'm fine :-)

Abby said...

OMG, I hate that asshole. You were way too nice to him.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, believe it or not I'm just a bitch on my blog.And because he had needles I thought it best to be passive aggressive back. Oh I wish I could be a Karen!