Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Another 12 hr day

Everything went well per the doctor. We were told he would have chest pain through his back and where the catheter went into his groin would also be tender.

They got him up and walking once he was no longer groggy from anesthesia. They told him to hold the small dots where the catheter went in when he coughed, laughed, or sneezed. He walked a lot and went to the bathroom instead of holding his penis in that plastic pee thingy. 
I do believe I heard them say 'Pee Thingy ' was the medical term. 

After shaving, then moving his junk to and fro while shaving him, he said there is no dignity in the hospital. He is correct.

At the 11th-hour mark, he was given discharge papers. The PA came in and asked about his pain. He said it really hurt. They asked if he wanted morphine and he said no. He told ME it was more discomfort than pain and he sure didn't need drugs. So they did another EKG and it was perfect. But the PA told his Dr the patient was in pain. The Dr then suggested he overnite. The PA was freaked out by the word PAIN.

Aaaah! He was dressed in street clothes and ready to go. He kept saying he didn't need to stay. Too late! Then he was apologizing to me. So now we got him undressed and moved into a staying overnight room vs a small room for post-op. 

I waited until he got settled, and met his new nurse. I kissed him and drove home in a fog. I was SO HUNGRY! It was now 12 hrs I'd been there and I was ready to go home. I would have preferred going home with him!
I'm glad he was being watched and cared for but I wish he had come home with me.

We got up at 4am. I did not eat because I did not wish to eat in front of Rick. After all, he kept saying how hungry he was and he couldn't eat before surgery. That would have been mean of me.  I figured I could wait until the afternoon when we'd be leaving. HA!

They fed him a turkey sandwich and pita chips. They asked if I'd like one. No, thank you.  I can't eat that kind of food so I waited. Besides some candy there is nothing in a vending machine that a celiac can eat, oh, I checked.  I did have M&M peanuts though around 4pm when hunger got the best of me.

Before I left he was looking great, and entertaining them all. 
That helped me to go.

I got home and I stood in front of the fridge, then the pantry. I so didn't want to cook. Even scrambled eggs were too much to make. I was really being lazy. I was also out of GF bread so not even a PB&J.  Then I saw Tator tots in the freezer and thought, yes, quick and easy. I put some on a cookie sheet and got out of my hospital clothes into my pj's while they were in the oven.

I talked to a friend on the phone and then my tots were done. I put 'em on a plate and brought them into the living room. I ate 3 and that's all I remember until I woke up at 11p. I fell asleep sitting upright. That's tired. I then crawled into bed and slept until 4 a.m. again. I think I slept 8 hrs so this time at 4am, I felt rested.

I've had my coffee this morning and now I need to jump in the shower, get myself presentable for public consumption and head to Raleigh to pick up my Big Guy. Hopefully, he will come home by noon!

And to the commenter who asked if the Dr answered Rick's question. 
He did, he has to wait 10-14 days. πŸ™‚

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My boss once told me that his wife stopped at a McDonald's and got a sandwich, fries and a drink while he was in the car with her en route to a hospital for a procedure and couldn't eat. Now, THAT'S self centered (IMHO). Anyway, glad to hear that Rick did well and will be coming home today. I swear we just speak a different language than medical people and it would be helpful if we could have a translator to avoid stuff like his being held captive for the crime of admitting discomfort!
Nina

Janice said...

Glad everything went well. Hoping you both have some peaceful rest.





Julie H said...

Well you got a full night of sleep out of it so not entirely bad!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Nina, I'm with you, that was mean of thar wife to do. Hence why I starved. Lol
A translator would have been nice!

Janice, thank you! He's to do nothing but rest. That means even I can napπŸ˜ƒ

Julie, that is true and I did!

Mike said...

10 to 14 days for what exactly. I'd want a list of dos and don'ts.

Mr. Shife said...

I am hoping Rick is home as I type this and you guys are enjoying a fine Halloween evening.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Hey Funny Boy, you know exactly what she asked. He did get a list of dos and don't but they did not mention this so he had to ask.

Mr. Shife, thank you. Halloween was too quiet and I didn't even get any candy!

Mike said...

I'm talking about sex dos and don'ts. There are a lot of 'halfway there' things to do.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike he didn't ask specifics and the doctor didn't name them just said he could have all the fun he wanted in 10 days. :-)