Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Got BandAids?

I cut myself badly on Wednesday evening while making dinner.
The blood wouldn't stop. I had paper towels on it and continued but they were filled with blood quickly. So, then I got a finger bandage and got it all wrapped up. It has a heartbeat as I type this. 
In fact, I can't use my ring finger on my left hand to type, too painful.  
I'm afraid to look at it. 
Rick walked into the kitchen and saw all the blood and said, "And you worry about me!"  
Well? But Rick takes a blood thinner. I can't have him bleeding. 

Then he looked up to the heavens and said, "Hey Doc you are so right, she did it again!" That made me laugh. (Doc has passed away)
You see Doc was my first husband (nickname) and he decided to keep BandAids in our kitchen, so he didn't have to run to the bathroom to get them. Funny boy. 

After our divorce I had not seen Doc even once in that small town. 
Then my boss Heidi asked me to go to a party she was invited to. 
She met this man, and she was smitten, and he told her he was having some people over to his house and asked if she'd like to stop by. 
She asked if she could bring someone. So, she asked me. 

As we were driving over to the east side by General Electric I had the thought, oh I hope this guy doesn't work at GE because my ex does. Then I thought, nah, there are thousands of people at GE what are the chances he'd know and invite Doc, so I said nothing. 

We get to this man's house, and everyone is in his finished basement. 
We walk downstairs and he introduces Heidi and me to everyone. 
I saw the guys at the pool table and my heart stopped. Shit, it's Doc. 
He introduced Heidi and I to Doc and Heidi shook his hand and I played along as did Doc. We shook hands as if we'd never met. Then he smirked and someone said, "you two know each other?"  He had a look of panic and
I quickly said, "We went to high school together actually"  
Ahh, is what most said as if that made sense to them. He smiled and nodded as if to say thank you. Whew, neither of us wanted to tell everyone how we knew each other in that scenario.

I stayed at the other end of the room. Thankfully it was a big basement.
At one point Heidi's date asked if I wanted another drink to help myself. 
I went behind the bar and saw the gin and he said there are limes there. 
I saw them. I then asked if he had a knife so I could cut the lime.  
At that very moment Doc yelled across the room "Oh if you give her a knife you better have Band-Aids." 
I burst out laughing. He gave me a knife and said, "Do you really need a Band-Aid?"  I told him no and stuck my tongue out at Doc.  We both laughed. Thankfully, no one really said anything to either of us about that. 

On the way home Heidi told me that the guy I went to high school with was sure cute, did you ever date him?  I said, "Heidi that was my ex husband"
She pulled over and said, "WHAT? YOU NEVER SAID A THING!"
"See how you're acting? I didn't want that at this party. You all would have been watching where I was or what I was doing every minute as well as watching Doc too.  No, that would have made my night far more miserable. When I saw him, I did want to leave but he stayed at one end, and I stayed at the other and it was all fine."

So today when I cut myself Rick looked to the heavens and told Doc he was so right. Sadly, they both are.

I told Rick my ring finger now has a heartbeat. I wouldn't take off my bandage to look at it. He asked if I thought I needed stitches. I don't know. 
I said, "at this point it feels like I'd lose my finger" He laughs. 
I said, "hey the way things are going it'd be my luck and it's my ring finger and I waited years for this honkin' diamond and I'm not losing this finger no way no how." 
He laughed at me and said, "That's my Margaret"  

Yep, that's me, shallow and clumsy. 😀

11 comments:

Mike said...

You should have a free hospital visit coming to you, right? You've been there enough you should have enough points.

bluzdude said...

I'm surprised Rick didn't offer to fill in the cut with epoxy and put a shine on it.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, I think I need 1 more incident then a free visit!

bluzdude,if he could use his tools he probably would. This pacemaker is hindering him in that regard now. Pisses him off.

Julie H said...

I put super glue on my cuts a few times now. BUT I just watched a video about a gal that did that with her nail and ended up losing part of her finger. So gross.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, the super glue made her lose her finger? Wowsa! Not using that then.

Sheila said...

That's a great story about you and Doc at the party. I ended up working with my ex-husband in an office in a totally different state 13 years after I left him. Only told my boss who didn't tell anyone, and nobody had any idea we'd known each other at all. About two years into it, turns out we both told the same story, at different times, about a funny incident that happened to us in San Francisco. Oops! He then asked me point blank about our previous relationship. Luckily, he didn't spread it around, and I left the state not too long after.

Hope your finger quits hurting and gets better soon.

Sheila said...

Damn, can't edit. Told the same story to a co-worker.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Sheila, now that's funny!!

Linda said...

No more hospitals Peg. Maybe you should stay out of the kitchen for awhile. You seem to be on a crusade to keep your local doctors in their Mercedes and their kids in hoity toity private school.

Love to you both♥

Olga said...

Yikes. Do you have a big fan at your house that you can use to blow that dark cloud out from over your head?

Many nights I would be in the kitchen cooking while my daughter sat in the dining room doing homework. I would swear or scream ouch and she would say, "burn or cut?"

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Linda, I'm trying. I'm really trying!!

Olga, that's funny! Sadly i understand. I wish that fan would work!! I think I need 2023 to be over!