Monday, October 2, 2017

Follow Up

Here are a few random items.

1. Souls At Night - Oh my gosh was this movie bad. Rick and I were actually laughing at one point. Rick put it perfectly when he said, "I want to like this but it's not getting any better" That, of course, made me laugh but he was right. As I always say, Robert Redford doesn't normally make movies I like, and this was no different. His younger looking self, Brad Pitt, is the same for me. They are both pretty boys but their movies are not normally something I like.  Halfway through this movie, I said, "do you want to keep watching this?"  Rick replied, "ah, nothing else is on and it has to get better don't you think?"  It didn't. We had a good laugh that my pick was so lousy. 

2. The woman I walk daily has met with a realtor and is moving along with her house sale. She got a stager and she is selling some of her big pieces of furniture. She has a LOT of furniture. Hopefully, they have her paint as well. Her colors are all so dark and depressing to me. She has chosen her new home. It is an Independent Living Facility in Fairfax so not too far from here. When she needs it she goes to the other side of the property for Assisted Living and Care. She is very excited by it all so that is good.  So I imagine if she gets her home up on the market in the next few weeks she will be gone soon. Everyone on the block has sold their homes in less than a week at the full asking price so I don't think she will be any different.
I had to laugh this morning when she said to me, "Oh my your face swelling is going down, you are starting to look better" When she is aware, she is aware! 😊

3. Yes, the steroids for my eye are now done. I had to wean myself off of them for some reason so even though taking a lot less they were still in my system. I hate the whole swollen face, body everything it does to you. For a drug that is to stop inflammation, it sure makes you inflamed.   I saw the doctor on Friday. Nothing new. Betty is not going anywhere. No bigger, no smaller. So I have to wait for 3 months and another checkup. I am getting glasses now instead.  How does one go from 20/20 vision to a mass in her eye and nothing is wrong? They insist they know it's not cancer from the pictures. But they don't know what it is. In the meantime, I have bad headaches, pressure on my eye and great fatigue which has nothing to do with my eye "they" say. I asked a dumb question while at the doctors. I asked, "if I had a mass in let's say my kidney, would you assume it wasn't cancer from a picture or would you do a biopsy?"  She said, "Of course we'd do a biopsy"
I asked, "then why are we assuming this is nothing then without a biopsy? It's not like I want it to be found but this isn't normal to just have a mass in your eye for no apparent reason"  She said, "it would present itself differently if cancer" So apparently I have to go with that. I did call the Wilmer Eye Institue at Johns Hopkins and they won't take my insurance and a visit to them to evaluate all of this was just under $2,000. So that option is out the window. You can only get sick and live in this country if you are rich. Speaking of, I just heard how this new tax plan will really screw seniors. A few things I need my parents to know so I will be calling them so that my mother will pay attention. One of the things I read will really affect her life a great deal.

4. I need a vacation. If only money and time were more available.

5. While the rest of the world is knee deep in football, which you all know I despise as much as my husband. I am knee deep in playoff baseball. My team doesn't stand much of a chance. We are in a rebuilding year and the fact that we got this far is amazing but fun to watch. So Tuesday I will be locked onto my TV screen and praying they can pull this out of their arses. My new neighbor introduced himself the other day while I was walking Izzy. I had on a sweatshirt with my team's logo and he yelled something from his porch. At first, I thought he was from Boston or something and he was bitching a fit about my hoodie. But he ran down his steps as he put his team flag in his garden. I nodded and said, "hey, let's hope they can do this!"  He came over to talk. I swear a dog and a team logo on a shirt can bring out all the friendliness of the neighbors. Interesting isn't it?  Well okay if he had been a Boston fan, he would have given me the finger but it would have been friendly. haha

And lastly, I saw this on FB. I have a friend who always gives a different name when she goes to Starbucks. I don't go to Starbucks so I thought this was funny. I asked her why and she said they never get her name correct and when she spelled it one time they did something very similar to this picture below. So now she says names like Mary Tyler Moore, Marge Simpson, Weezy and on and on. All of her names are characters from TV shows. Most are from very old TV shows so the young baristas just don't blink an eye. I asked if this was any fun since not one of the young baristas even knows. She said she amuses herself and that is all that matters. She amused me when she did it with me. Once when I was with her she used the name Edith Bunker. I cracked up laughing and the barista who was all of 12 just wrote it on the cup. No one even batted an eye when they called out, "Edith Bunker"
I may just start going to Starbucks just to do this. I'm immature like that.



12 comments:

Olga said...

I can't stop giggling at Mark with a C.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I love the Starbucks name thing. Here they only want you to give them a first name so I'm not sure how that would work out if I said Edith Bunker. Mark with a C is hysterical.

Walking a dog does bring out the people who want to talk and be friendly.

I'm glad your neighbor with dementia is moving. That will be good for her and good for you too.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, hubby said this morning as I was walking out the door at 6:50a to pick her up "I bet you won't miss this come winter time" You are both correct. But I must say her walking is so much better. She can go much farther now and she actually walks faster. I told her this morning that I see such improvement and that she gets a gold star. She laughed. And I came to the office this morning and printed one and I will present it to her tomorrow morning. That will surely make her laugh :-)

Mike said...

St. Louis has decided not to play in the playoffs this year. They wanted some extra time off.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike,well I believe my team will be joining them soon enough.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

You and me, sister, on #4. Although it was great to go to Austin for my son's wedding, it was by no means a "vacation". Something we haven't done for ~ omg, it's been so long I don't even remember how long it's been. I finally started saving specifically for a vacation. By the time we have time to take one, I should have quite the nest egg. And although I like being sarcastic and funny, this particular issue just makes me sad.

Next time I go to Starbucks, I'm giving the name Scarlet, or Puddy Tatt. Ha ha

Barbara said...

Hahaha. That cup is a riot. I'm glad your neighbor is going happily where she can be taken care of. It sounds like she is really sinking fast but I have no personal experience... except for my own dwindling sensibilities. I saw the movie also. It was hard to get into. I think you have to be a single old person to get the loneliness and how your kids never quit needing your help .. sometimes at your expense. I

Ami said...

Add me to the list of people being glad that your neighbor will be moving somewhere safe. And no longer your issue, either.

And regarding the Mark with C... this is my personal favorite along those lines...McDonald's ticket

Silver in AZ said...

I'm immature like that too. LOL What a fun idea!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Okay Ami, that was a good one! What is wrong with people? Oh, wait - not enough time to list that.


Barbara - It was difficult to get into because there was no dialog just them staring at each other. But as I said most of Redfords movies are like that (think Ordinary People)
I understand that loneliness and I fear it. I tell Rick we must go together. :-)

Julie H said...

That's so funny! My friend from high school's name was Audra and she would say her name was Ann or Sue or something basic to make it easier. I think it's funny when they misspell Julie. COMMON! lol July is close but not quite.

UplayOnline said...

That will be good for her and good for you too.


เย็ดสาว