My goodness our world is a cluster !@#$
Donna Karan used to make baggy clothes and shitty perfume so I am fortunate that I don't have to boycott her stuff - because I would. I am not a fan of baggy clothes because I haven't given up entirely just yet. I did buy a pair of her pantyhose once. It was a lot of money at the time (the '80s) and I remember thinking the stuff in an egg was far better. She may be making more streamlined clothes by now but I wouldn't know because I can't afford her things anymore so I never have looked. In the 80's and 90's it was all baggy dresses to the floor and baggy sweaters off the shoulder and it was a tired Flashdance look at the time. That was the last time I've seen anything of hers so boycotting her clothes won't be an issue for me.
I love how this morning she claimed her words were taken out of context.
Hmm....really? I saw you say all of this on a video. You said it. It came out of your mouth. I saw the full interview - how could that be taken out of context?
You are just worried that women who like your baggy clothes won't buy them so you are backtracking.
I am so tired of people thinking that women deserve harassment if dressed a certain way. Sexual harassment is coming from a place of power and control generally. If a woman is dressed provocatively does that mean she deserves harassment? If at work she deserves for her boss to tell her to go home and change if inappropriate work attire. That is it. Her outfit does not deserve anything else.
Are men such animals that they can't control themselves?
I am tired of women being shamed for their harassment. That is why so few come forward. There is also the fear factor. Fear of losing your job. Fear of being blackballed from your industry/career as a troublemaker. I know for a fact that once this is in human resources it will follow you!
All women have dealt with this is one form or another.
God knows I have since the age of 12. That was when I was very aware of the looks, the comments, the feeling of being cornered.
By the time I was 12 I was wearing a C cup bra and I was a young girl who looked like I was at least 16. The comments from boys at school were bad enough but then grown-ups who did this too made this so confusing as a kid to me. The catcalls, comments from teachers, neighbors and even a friend of my fathers. I was always uncomfortable. I tried like hell to hide my body all the time, even at the beach in my bikini with coverups that never came off until all the boys were gone. I even responded to pool parties as a no because I didn't want to deal with the boys and all the staring and the grief that a 12 or 13 year can't deal with. I always made an excuse to my mother about why I didn't want to go and to my friends about why I couldn't go. I lied to everyone. Your body looks like Sophia Vergara but your mind is only 12 and it is just too much.
By the time I was an adult I was able to deal with it most days without tears.
As a young kid, I cried all the damn time as well as being scared a lot of times.
But as a young adult in my 20's and 30's I began to be able to deal with this a bit better, not as well as an old seasoned broad as I am today, but better.
When I worked for an airline I was always dealing with this.
Once it was done in front of a friend of mine who was a pilot, he put that man in his place so quickly the man's face turned red and he turned and ran. I basically said the same things but coming from another man apparently made him HEAR those words. But I think it was because he respected this man in uniform and I was "just a girl", a commodity.
Then when I was 31 I worked in an office. This office was airlines sales and the other side of the building was the airline computer system personnel. (GDS)
I was in the latter.
There was a man there who bothered me constantly. He worked in airline sales.
I hid when I could smell him coming down the hall towards us in the GDS office His cologne was putrid and it was his calling card.
I finally stood up to him as I have told you here before. He never bothered me again. Did he learn his lesson or just attribute this all to be being a bitch?
This is what I heard him say to others about me many many times.
Too bad we didn't have sexual harassment in the day or I'd be retired right now.
Now on that day, I did have a v-neck on. I was not showing any cleavage because I was always hiding these girls. That isn't me. But it wasn't a turtleneck. But this asshole did this to me when I wore a turtleneck, v-neck and sometimes I think he'd do it if I was wearing a burka. This was never my fault. I wouldn't even enter that side of the building for fear of seeing this creep. He made me feel so badly about myself and honestly I felt like I needed a shower after encountering him. No woman should feel that way. The fact that I really worked on the clothing I chose shows you have ingrained in we gals how our dress attracts this behavior. I did everything but wear a burka to hide my body.
Donna Karan, shame on you. You should know better.
I do know better and you can bet I won't ever spend a cent on your wares.
No woman should have to change the way she dresses so men behave appropriately.
14 comments:
She got us both riled this morning/last night. Been there, done that too...re unwanted advances (in the workplace, especially.) Ugh.
I had to go look up this news. What a terrible thing to say, blaming victims. She should darn well know better.
I had to look up who Donna Karan was and what she did. She backtracked pretty quick.
Silver - yep just saw that on FB. Don't go over to FB often enough I guess.
Olga - any woman should know better.
Mike - yep she sure did. I'm sure her stockholders and other female friends were on her like flies on shit. But I saw the tape - she can't say she was misquoted now can she?
She backtracked pretty quick.
เย็ดสาว
Roth, she sure did. Thanks for coming around here! I've seen all your posts on my blog - you've been busy. :-)
Are men such animals that they can't control themselves?
Good question.
Many men are just animals, sadly. and if they have power they get away with it, for some time, at least.
And you are so right about Donna Karan.
Alessandra - :-)
I was like you growing up - I was a 36c and very skinny. Wore big shirts to cover up - but when I was older (bar/dancing) I got use to it and didn't worry about it.
My eyes are up here!!!
April - you also grew up in a time of big boobs being great. I grew up during a time of twiggy and being flat was fashionable and having a Kardashian ass would be mortifying!! But now that I am old and chubby it doesn't matter because who is looking at the old lady? Remember my story here of What Color are my eyes? Oh I so understand your comment.
Hard to believe that a woman in this century would say something like that about victims of sexual harassment.
Jean, I agree. Haven't we been hearing this line of thought for hundreds of years?
I could' believe it when I heard her comments. Like you, the last time I bought any of her stuff was in the 80s and 90s. I will never buy any of her line again. Ever.
I haven't seen what she said yet. I did see a tweet with Ben Affleck apologizing for groping a woman years ago and a clip of the actual groping. God our world is a mess all over! My friend went from working in CA to Conn and she is dealing with the whole "men's world" and how they are so condescending to women. She's having a really hard time. I'm sure as soon as this hiring freeze is lifted she'll be looking for another position.
Post a Comment