Tuesday, May 31, 2022

June

Boy I did not think it would be this long until I was back. You can always tell my bad weeks by how much I'm here I guess.

I walk by the office and the computer calls but so does my bed or closing my eyes sadly.
Another week got away from me.
Not so much enjoying my life right now as much as trying to survive of late.

Remember me telling you the horrific nerve type frozen pain on my arms. I actually wore a long john top on my arms for weeks. Yes, it is 95 degrees. It is far easier to deal with the cold than the cold tingling burning nerve pain.
 

When Dr. S. asked me about my symptoms I told him this one because it is the worst one to me. He upped my folic acid to 5mg a day. I was taking 1 MG a day. 
After day 2 I have not had that kind of pain in my arms. Whew. By George, I think he got it!!
While I still get cold or I guess I should say I am cold all the damn time, but as long as I don't have that awful feeling of my arms burning cold like being dunked in an ice bucket I can live with being cold. I'd rather be cold than hot ALWAYS.

Let me share some things that have occurred here while I've done nothing.
(yes he made the walnut mantle)


This fireplace is a work in progress as you can see. I sprayed the FUGLY screen piece (under that paper) with high heat spray paint as well as the inside of the fireplace. All things black here I sprayed.  It was brown and gold. VERY 70s, which is odd since the house was built in 1997. It could not be removed, long story, so this was my next idea. 

Then we covered the ugly stone with this backerboard so we can tile. (For use around high heat again) Rick poured self leveling concrete on the hearth of ugly stones so it would be even and we could tile easily.  

On Monday Rick began tiling. I laid on the sofa and said things like, can you straighten that one? That one is too much white. 😄 I fell asleep and awake to this much done. It became like a puzzle so there was a lot of mumbling from Rick that made me giggle. Oh the swearing was quiet because he thought I was asleep. But I heard him!

He had to finish some things in his workshop so the items could get in the mail so he did not work on tthe fireplace on Tuesday. 

Tuesday is my typical 2 days after chemo & I'm down for the count. I was in bed most of the day. I awoke at 5:30p and I could smell Rick was cooking something. It smelled great but this is NOT a day I can eat much if at all. 

I walked into the living room and Rick said, "Hey look who's back. How you feeling babe?"
Before I could answer we heard a pop.
We walked into the kitchen and saw this --


The lid just exploded INTO the stew. The handle flew over by the coffee maker. So much for Rick's dinner....Shard Glass Stew. Yummy.
Rick knew he bought lamb chops by mistake and they are not a fave of mine. He knew I wasn't eating so he made a Greek stew. It smelled divine. What a waste of ingredients though. (I may have eaten this it smelled so good) he actually said, I could try to pick out glass. Are you crazy Richard? Toss it all!! So he did. He knew he couldn't get out all the glass for Pete's sake. 

He ended up having a breakfast sandwich. He was so bummed and I don't blame him. Gee, if I write to Rachel Ray and show her what happened to her stock pot while this was on low/simmering maybe they will send a new one? Or she can come cook a meal for Rick. That would make him happy.🙂

22 comments:

Cop Car said...

With the life that you are "getting" to lead, these days, I don't think any of us expects you to keep to a rigid schedule of blogging. Priorities!

When I saw the photo of the lid on the stew pot, I could only think that the stew pot had been set aside to cool and the seal was so tight that it the lid imploded. Well...I can't fathom what happened after reading your explanation. Weird! (The stew smelled delicious, clear out here.)

Grace said...

That fireplace surround is Gorgeous! As for the stockpot I would definitely contact the manufacturer - an email with photo - why not. Can't hurt. (I had that happen with a pyrex dish supposedly oven proof - Nope!)

Arkansas Patti said...

That fireplace is going to be soooo much an eye catching centerpiece. You might have to turn on the A/C just to have a fire when it is done.
Wow, what a strange thing with the pot lid exploding. Yep, I'd let the manufacturer know. Maybe they can tell you why it happened.

Cruisin Paul said...

Boom, Rick's wonderful dinner is gone. How in the heck can that happen? Write back to the manufacturer and give him hell. You lost a great dinner. Please get better Peg. I pray each day for you.


Cruisin Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Cop Car, thanks for getting it. :-) I see where they offer replacement lids so obviously they know about this however they are going to charge me. I don't think so!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Grace, thanks (fireplace) I like it so far. So far getting nowhere with the manufacturer. Figures.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patti, the fireplace is not operational. The woman who lived here was afraid of gas so removed the propane. The area does not have natural gas. Eventually we'll get it hooked up again. It's still pretty. :-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Paul, I will be fine. No need to worry. The side effects of it all is what is killing me. The rest is A-ok. Don't worry. Yes we did lose a dinner and all those ingredients. Made me a bit angry when the company said I could BUY a new lid. I think you should GIVE me a new lid darn it!

Julie H said...

The fire place is going to look fanstatic!

Ugh that sucks on the stew. Nothing worse than being able to smell something you can't eat.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, yes youre right about smelling it. Rick was so hungry too. He was not a happy camper.

Grace said...

Oh well if you want to have a bit of fun - start dragging the manufacturer and Rachel Ray through social media shame - Twitter, FB, Instagram - wherever you can find them. Certainly post a review on the web site (I'm making the assumption you bought it on-line???)

Mike said...

I would check here first to see if the post has been recalled.
https://www.recalls.gov/cpsc.html
If not, I would report it.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Love the herringbone fireplace tile....so pretty! Plenty of good advice here on the pot, and my sympathies! So awful. Can't even imagine how it would explode (or implode?) like that. So sorry Rick!

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Never knew glass lids could explode like that!

Abby said...

Oh no, what a waste of good stew! I'd heard of glass lids exploding like that, but don't know why it happens. Some sort of tiny cracks?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Yvonne. Thx on the tile. I have to write a post of what I'm finding out about this lid.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, me neither. I would have preferred to find out another way too!🙂

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, I'll share tomorrow what I've learned about these lids. Apparently tempered glass does this. WTH?

Olga said...

I am gobsmacked by that lid exploding. Good thing no one was standing in the way of the flying handle. Somebody needs to make that right, but I don't think I would want a replacement. Yikes!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, ooh it gets better -
That is what Rick said he was happy neither of us were nearby. But that is what they make windshields with tempered glass. crazy.

Barbara said...

Wow. I've never seen that happened. In fact, it has never occurred to me that it could happen. Sound like the kind of shit that happens to me when I get in the kitchen.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara, I"m glad it happened as it did or Rick would have asked, "what did you do Margaret?" He never would have believed it just burst. He even admitted to that. :-)