Monday, May 9, 2022

Sleep Study

Rick had a sleep study Sunday night. They thought perhaps he has sleep apnea. I don't think they will find it but what do I know, I am not a doctor I just sleep with him

He had a sleep study about 18 or so yrs ago and he said he couldn't sleep because they put this machine on his chest and he could only lay on his back. So to say he wasn't looking forward to this was a understatement. 

He had to be there at 8p Sunday night.
He kept busy all day, nary a nap so he would be plenty tired. He kissed me good bye at 7:30pm.

With my ankle being what it is, I settled into Rick's ugly chair to keep my leg up. I had an evening of "Peggy" tv. Shows he doesn't watch, The First Lady, Gaslight. Yes historical shit. I find Sean Penn as John Mitchell amazing!!
Here he is as John Mitchell.   

I firmly believe Sean is the best actor of my generation. I absolutely hate him here, but it's his character not him! He as always is brilliant.

After watching both of these shows, I watched more. 
I just wasn't sleepy. I finally crawled into bed around midnight but I can't sleep with Rick not here I found out. 

I got out of bed and roamed the house. I needed Rick home. I was limping to the coffee machine when he walked in the door at 6:30am. 
The first thing he said was, "I couldn't sleep without you" I laughed and said I know!! God we're pathetic!

He was hooked up to wires but thankfully the technology has improved and there was no box that had to sit on his chest. He was wired from his head on down. He had an allergic reaction to the goop and they insisted he wasn't allergic. But everywhere they put it he has a ring rash the size of the electrodes and it itches like hell. 

I asked if he had to get up to pee what do they do? 
He rings a bell and they unhooked him. Not fun, but it had to be done. They knew he wasn't sleeping and suggested watching TV because it has helped out others to sleep so he tried that. He slept off and on and at 6a they told him he was done. 

Rick's snoring was getting bad and then his oxygen level wasn't great and that is why they assumed sleep apnea. Rick bought an aperatice similar to a mouth guard specifically made for his issue. It stopped his snoring immediately and he sleeps better and says he is refreshed when he wakes up vs. before this mouth piece. We were shocked this online $40 thing worked. So this test should prove interesting. 

I think tonight we will both sleep well. 
He is a cover/blanket hog but I sure missed him.

Zzzz....

13 comments:

Susan Kane said...

I always tell my love that I can't sleep until he comes to be. We are so blessed.

Abby said...

Kinda funny, I sleep like a rock when Magnum's away, pfffft!
I've wondered how people sleep when doing sleep studies and am not surprised that Rick's had troubles. But hey, I'm glad he seems to have found something that helps!
Sweet dreams!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Susan, yes we are!

Abby, he says it's impossible to sleep at these things. And knowing they are watching you is very uncomfortable to me!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! What is the name of the device you have that works??? Thanks! Olivia

Arkansas Patti said...

I think it would be impossible to sleep with all those wires attached. How can they call it a sleep study if you don't sleep? So glad you are back together and hope you both sleep well now.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olivia, snorerx.com. let me know if that doesn't work.

Patti, I hope I never have to do it so I don't know. But it's difficult for Rick that is for sure.

Julie H said...

I sleep much better when Scott is not home. He snores a lot. Apparently I do too though, maybe we should both try your fix lol

Mike said...

Has he tried breath right nasal strips? They have come down in price.

bluzdude said...

I always get my most solid sleep once Sweetpea gets up (at 4:45 am).

That mouth guard... is that the thing that pulls your jaw forward?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, that seems the concensus that when your partner leaves you get the best sleep. Hmm....maybe I just meet him to leave more and I'll get used to it. Lol

Mike, those straps did nothing for him!

Tony, yes, I believe it does. First week was painful but now he loves it and so do I!!

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

When Don had a sleep test they had an adjoining room for spouses. I didn't sleep at all that night with all the noise and people around. Can't wait to see how Rick's turns out.

sgsmith said...

My husband also got one of those mouthpiece things and they really work. Thank God! He also uses the nasal strips and often those will work but if they don't he puts in the mouthpiece

Barbara said...

I had that test once. I hated that goop they put on. I didn't have a reaction but I have a thing about any goop on me, even hand creams. I didn't have sleep apnea just didn't stay in a good restful stage long enough.