Summer has arrived. Our spring which was gorgeous is now over.
Now going outdoors will be the death of me. I am not a fan of heat and humidity and I moved south. That's funny, isn't it?
The other evening Rick went to bed and as is the case since these meds I was wide awake. It was raining like crazy and it was sideways. I wanted to get the cushions off the porch sofa because last time I did not do that I sat on some wet cushions.
I opened the front door as quietly as I could to not wake Rick. But first, he got an alert on his phone. It was an awful sound, a piercing pitch that told him a Severe Thunderstorm was coming to our area. He comes out of the bedroom as I am coming into the house with some cushions and pillows.
He is yelling that there is a tornado get inside, duck down as he is trying to shut the door as my body is not fully inside yet.
Now I began to laugh.
He is standing in his birthday suit not fully awake and making no sense.
He said, "Can't you hear the train, what is wrong with you get inside!"
I was laughing but I shut the door to calm him down.
I calmly grabbed his hand and said, "Okay let's go back to bed and get away from this stuff." I've seen this look before. I knew he was not awake.
He and I walked down the hall. He went to bed instantly.
I went back outside and finished. There was no tornado. I was watching the weather on TV because they had interrupted normal programming with all this rain information. They said a severe thunderstorm was coming, I got up and got the cushions. But that shrieking notification he received on his phone next to his side of the bed got him awake and startled.
The next morning I said, "No tornado touched down Rick" He said, "what?"
He had no recollection of this whole event where he was screaming at me to come inside to be safe from the tornado. I told him what he was saying and doing and we both had a good laugh. Thank goodness no tornado but just a lot of rain.
He's never done that before. My first husband did sleepwalk so I could never ever go into a deep sleep. Rick behaved the same way but it was the shrieking notification that started it. The other guy really did just sleepwalk all the damn time.
One time 'the other guy' got up, lifted the cushion of a green chair we had and began to pee. As I got up to follow him I see this and tried to stop it but too late. Then he goes back to bed as I clean up the pee off our chair. Lovely. The green was the same color as our toilet. It was the 70s and we had an avocado toilet and the chair was similar in color. The next morning when he got up he saw the cushion on its side with a huge wet spot where I had cleaned it and was letting it dry. As well as the chair. He asked what the hell that was. I explained. He was mortified.
Once I heard him get up it woke me because I heard his keys rattle. OH NO. I ran down the hall. He was grabbing the car keys from the hook by the door. He then put on his NYY baseball cap also on the hook, all while only wearing his underwear. He grabbed the door handle to leave. I stopped him and said, "I want to go with you." Then when we got outside by the car I asked if I could drive. We sat in front of our home in our underwear with the car running in the wee hours of the morning. (no time to run for clothing, he moved quickly)
Then I turned off the car and said, "We better get inside or we're never getting up for work tomorrow"
And into the house he goes never waking up. I was now fully awake.
That happened a lot. I became a very light sleeper with this guy.
I then began to hide the keys at night so if I didn't hear him he couldn't drive in that state. Or he'd make food. That was scary with the gas stove. Many a night he thought there was food in the pan but there was no food. He was stirring a hot pan of nothing that could burn up the house. Oh yeah, fun times.
So when Rick did all of this, this past week it all came back to me.
Since he's never done it before I hope he never does it again.
There was no tornado, Toto, a cowardly lion, or a yellow brick road.
Just a little rain thankfully.
21 comments:
You probably ought to start leaving the cell in another room at night.
Years ago, when my brother was getting married, he and several frat brothers who were in the wedding were all staying with my parents. In the middle of the night, one of them got out of bed, stark naked, went into my parents' bedroom and started rummaging around in the closet, looking for the toilet.
Luckily, his wife came and got him before he left his mark and ruined a lot of clothing.
In the morning, Dad was only pissed that he slept through the whole thing and didn't get a chance to laugh at him.
My brother was a sleep walker too. They had to put locks on the doors up high where he could reach because he'd been found blocks away wondering in the middle of the night while my parents were sound asleep. He'd be naked too except for his Robinhood hat.
Bluzdude,the whole point of this app is to be alerted. We've had an issue. So if the phone can't be heard, well no point in having this. Rock -Hard Place 😃 all your Dad stories make me happy.
Jean, omg I almost lost my coffee at the end of that. Oh my goodness. A Robinhood Hat! Did he outgrow it? Not the hat, the sleepwalking. 😊
Mary Lou has told me that some nights I talk in my sleep. I never heard myself. My words garble a lot. Even the other night my daughter asked her mother if dad was talking in his sleep. Now I'm asking what does that mean. Am I going crazy? Don't answer that question Peg. LOL
Have a great day my friend.
Cruisin Paul
Congratulations on being so adept at handling sleep-walkers/-walking. Amazing!
You reminded me of once when we were little kids, my elder brother was found by my grandmother on her back porch peeing into the coal bucket. (Well...it was closer than the outhouse but the explanation was that he was still asleep.)
Sleepwalking is a scary situation!
Sleep talking tho can be amusing, especially when the talker responds to questions.
Wow, Rick the first really put you through it with the sleep walking. Think I'd have handcuffed him to the bed or put bells around his neck. Sure hope Rick the second's episode was just a one time thing.
Sleep walking is not a funny thing, but sometimes you do have to laugh. I came home from a date once and saw one brother walk into the other brother's room, so I followed him thinking he was sleep walking. He lifted the pillow off the bed and was about to pee on our brother's head. I have to admit there was a spit second where I wanted to see that one play out, but I did quickly intervene and get the younger one to the bathroom. Never mentioned it to either one of my brothers. I was probably sneaking in late and didn't want any kind of fuss!
Sleep walking is such a strange thing, and from these comments, sounds like sleep peeing is quite common! My friend's husband used to sleep eat - but I don't think he tried cooking anything. Therapy did him some good.
ACK! I saw my oldest do it one time when she was about 8, she just walked around though.
Paul, I talk in my sleep too. If you're crazy so am I.
Cop, I don't know that I am adept but I've had to learn about it quickly. It was a surprise the first time. I even asked, "you couldn't have told me this?" Lol
Grace, it can be amusing I've heard. :-)
Patti, it appears I have a type don't I? same name, humorous, tall, now sleep walk. No, this has to be a one-time thing for Rick. Dear me I hope so!
Olga, it isn't funny but as you say sometimes it can be when it's not harmful to anyone including themselves. You are a nice sister not to mention this. My sisters would have abused whoever did this even if someone was sneaking in late!
Abby, apparently peeing is common, that part is funny. Going to the car in your tidy whities to drive at 2am is not funny. Hopefully with Rick it was just a one time thing from being startled "awake'
Julie, thankfully she outgrew it!
As kids, a friend went with me on a trip. He wanted the top bunk. In the middle of the night, he rolled out of bed to go pee. THUD. He didn't wake up but I did. He got up off the floor and follow a path through the house that was equivalent to the path at his house to the bathroom. He was about to pee against a wall when I woke him up.
Mike. That fall from top bunk didn't wake him? Wow!
Surely your phones have a "do not disturb" setting. This blocks notifications with the exception of those people you always want to hear from (like my kids). Check it out. We have the ring on the door and the front yard, and thankfully it blocks those notifications too. Most times a middle of the night recording is of a few neighborhood cats wandering around.
My youngest son used to sleep walk every now and then, but luckily he grew out of it. It's certainly a scary thing for the reasons you mentioned!
Yes, but we need to hear nothing BUT the ring alert. Can't seem to do that. The whole point of having this is to hear the ring alert. All is good.
Thank goodness I have no experience with sleepwalkers. Sounds like a really serious condition where one could hurt.
Post a Comment