My weekend was busy washing windows inside and out. Painting, cleaning, purging, and feeling the stress. The first realtor comes at 5pm tonight. I have reached out to her to reconfirm via email and voicemail but did not speak with her. If she doesn't show up then I know she is not the one for us.
Wednesday and Thursday we have realtors coming by too so a decision should be made by Friday.
All of my moves have been through a company.
The company I worked for sent someone to pack up my house.
Then they moved everything to my new dwelling.
This time I am doing it.
Having never done this I can honestly say this sucks big time!
I went from PA to OH to WA to MD to VA.
I don't know what my company paid them but I sure wish I could do it now.
And boxes ain't cheap people. Oh sure you can get crap boxes from the liquor store or grocery store but they aren't made for glassware etc. So off to the box store to buy boxes and garment boxes. Who said moving was cheap?
I assume from now until we are in our new place I will be stress girl.
First I don't want to move but I HAVE to move.
Nothing is good when you HAVE to. But I hope that in the end Rick and I will have a new adventure and a good last chapter at our new place.
It has always been Rick and Me. We don't have children. So moving to somewhere we know no one is okay with us. We will make new friends.
But we do know someone who lives in the 'burbs of Raleigh so if need be we have someone there. Besides, there is a blogger I've been dying to meet that lives in the city we think we'll end up in so I may have to bug her for coffee one day!
Anyone up for helping me do all this work - stop on by. I'll feed ya! You know the ole work for food ploy. It worked as a young girl when I would move to a new apartment. I'd feed the boys and give 'em beers and they helped me. No such luck now. Oh to be young and get nice young men to do things for you.
16 comments:
I haven't moved in 28 years. It would be so weird to move for me! At least you should get top dollar for your house with the way prices are going now. Hopefully you can find a deal on the other end. Jess lived in Willow Springs about an hour from Raleigh, it was pretty there.
Julie, that's a bit farther than what I would want. Rick would be happy with that!!
I think Raleigh area is quite nice. My brother lives near there in Oxford, N.C. Wake Forest is someplace I always try to stop as I travel through or visit my brother.
I have already started packing up my condo. I am not a last minute person. It will be fall before I even think about putting the place up for sale.
Uhaul boxes are worth the money and they will buy them back. Tape tape tape tape. Use clothing as wrapping and filler to cut down on bubble wrap and paper. Make sute that the outer side of the boxes are cushioned. Movement within the box creates breakage as opposed to how the box is moved as such. After packing the breakables take clothing or paper and stuff down into all the nooks and crannies especially on the outer sides. There should be no daylight or air. Pack one box or two that has sheets for the bed and some utensils and plates and perhaps a pot so you can sleep.and eat in comfort without packing.
If you are loading yourself please note that Uhaul has a MUCH lower entryway or gate or whatever they call it than the other two big companies and will be easier to load. I am not a fan of the Podcaster but that's me.. Large and heavy stuff in first and out last. If you are hoteling with a truck I'll talk about that later.
my goodness Barb you are a wealth of info. I have been packing with a lot of paper around the boxes not just the glassware etc. Rick thought it was over kill but I think I'll use some clean t-shirts next time because that is a good tip. Sure you don't wanna come help?
Olga, we LOVE Wake Forest. Who knows where we will land but that is one of our towns on the top 3 list.
Moving after 27 years was painful at times. What to keep? What to donate?
You will enjoy your new home.
For as often as you've moved, you probably don't need any advice on how to do it, but I at least want to pass on something my mom told me before I left the house to move out on my own...
Make sure the kitchen and bedroom boxes are labeled clearly and unpack those first. That way you'll be able to eat and sleep as you take the days needed to fully unpack. (Should probably include the bathroom there as well.)
The last time I moved, I ordered a big 50-count package of boxes from Amazon. They worked out great. (I agree not to trust dicey liquor store boxes. Plus, it's hard to get them in quantity.)
Good luck!
We've been in our house for 45 years. I think the easiest thing to do would be to set it on fire.
Susan, I have been here 21.5 yrs so I get it!!
Bluzdude, oh don't you tempt me with showing you how easy it is to get liquor cases....tee hee I don't need another reason to drink!
Mike - I think you may be right!!
Mike read my mind. I swore after my last move 17 years ago that next time I was putting a pan of grease on an open flame and going shopping.
Hope it is not too stressful an experience for you. Take lots of sanity breaks.
such great ideas I'm picking up from this thread of comments and your blog, Peg. I only had two realtors come out but I haven't signed anything yet so maybe I should have a third?
When we moved in and for all your vendor shows we used Rubbermaid boxes that I still have---about 40 0f them. I'm on the fence about buying U-Haul boxes. I think I will for dishes. I love Barb's idea of using clothing to pack around stuff.
I also in the many moves we did packed clothes in suitcases. Why move them empty? Having said that I don't envy you. I never want to move again! If we have to I am going to make sure we have the money to pay for a moving company to do it all :)
Betty
Betty, I highly recommend the moving company for it all !!!!!
I think this is why I regularly declutter. I have moved so many times as an adult that I can guarantee it is better when you have less to go through. I went so far as to bring the large rolling garbage cans into the room I was decluttering. It is better to just chuck it than think about it. Of course, I have downsized with each move so that takes a lot of getting-rid-of than moving to a larger house. Good luck. I feel your pain. Ok, I picking up a near Raleigh location here.
Barbara, closing a business while doing this is stressful. I spent 3 hrs on the phone - most of which was on hold with the IRS to close our EIN (federal ID#) Spent hours with insurance companies today to change things from commercial to personal. Then dealing with our business who give us business. It's overwhelming all this stuff. I can't wait until it's over and I can exhale.
Post a Comment