Saturday, June 5, 2021

Will Crying Work?

Last Sunday morning a woman down the street text me because she doesn't have Rick's number. First, she asked where the water shut off was so I told her. Then she asked if he knew about a divertor in her shower head. A plumber had told her on Saturday that it would be $1,000 to repair.  

I told her Rick would be down. She kept saying NO, but I knew she didn't mean it. So I ask Rick if he would go down there and see what is going on. It is 9am on Sunday. He was not thrilled.  He comes back and tells me how she is crying and all upset etc. He sent her to home depot and wrote down what to buy and to call us when she's back home and he will fix it for her. 

He went on and on about how she was ugly crying and borderline hysterical about this. He felt so bad for her and the plumber was ripping her off etc. The woman is in her early 50s and is divorced. She lives alone. So Rick of course sees a damsel in distress and helps her out. 

She called to say she was back from Home Depot and he went back. 
She got the wrong part. He text me and said they were both going back to the store. Fine.  He fixes her shower head for a $31 part and that was that. 
Rick was horrified that a plumber would tell her this was $1000 to fix. He also taught her where the water shut off was and how to do that, changed the water temp for her shower as she asked, and then fixed the showerhead. For 31 dollars! His service was free so that was a bit better than $1,000.

Now the day before I was cleaning our master bathroom. I noticed that water was going into the bottom drawer on rick's side if I used the hot water. I went downstairs and told him there was a leak and could he please fix it. 

He said and I quote, "Oh Margaret can you just not use the hot water then?"

Really? 

So when he came back from fixing this woman's shower head I asked, "If I cry and get hysterical will you feel bad enough to fix our master bathroom leak?" 

He just looked at me for a moment and realized what he had said to me and how that sounded. It was like he just realized it. He burst into laughter, came over to me and hugged me, and said, "No you don't need to cry, I was just being lazy, I will fix it now." And he did. 😂

11 comments:

Olga said...

It's the classic case of the shoemaker's kids going barefoot.
I might have been skeptical about the woman's motivation if I didn't have the whole widow experience behind me. Recent widowhood is a scammer magnet.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

This story reminds me of my mom and dad. My dad could fix anything and was often called by neighbors on the lake for advice which lead to him fixing or help fix their stuff. Meanwhile my mom's job list of things that needed fixing got ignored. Until one day when she put her foot down and demanded that our plumbing repairs should come first. Guys just can't resist the damsels in distress, can they.

Arkansas Patti said...

Gotta love Rick. That was so funny though how your request was so easily put on the back burner. Glad you didn't need to limber up those tear ducts:)

Linda said...

There are times I still feel like a damsel in distress. Boy Scout is not too handy with tools. I refrain from snot crying and usually find a decent YouTube video to get me through.

You got yourself a good one.

Abby said...

Like Linda, I typically revert to YouTube for such things when I get tired of my husband's procrastinating. I'm glad the neighbor widow got Rick's help instead of being scammed.
But I get it. At work, everything in my wake is spotless and organized and prepped for whatever's next. Home? HA!

Julie H said...

Hahaha he's a good guy ;)

betty said...

In the end your leak got fixed and you got a hug too! Win-win situation I think! That was nice of Rick to go and help the neighbor. She seems a bit fragile.

betty

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Lol, the damsel in distress seems to work every time! Nice of Rick to help her out, but I get the feeling this isn't new to you! Sometimes we have to point out what is obvious to us, haha.

Mike said...

It's so much easier to fix something at someone else's house. You fix one thing and leave.
At your own house, I should fix that. But I should fix this other thing first. But before I do that, this thing needs to be fixed. What's on TV?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

To All-- I'm not sure where you all got widow. She's Divorced.
😁

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga - 🤣 👍