Remember the fun customer Mohammed Mike? (June 4 2021 post)
Rick went to his home on Friday morning. Rick removed the caulking around his bathtub and the stones were barely on the wall. He called in the homeowner and said if you touch this...and Mike immediately touched them and a stone tile crumbled into the tub. Rick didn't want him to touch it but he did it before he finished his sentence.
Rick was about to share with him that the tiles were barely on the wall and the fact that it was soft behind it there may have been a leak at one time. Either way, Rick couldn't do the job he was there to do. He suggested a tile setter to come out and if removing the tile that is the time to just buy a new bathtub.
Oh my goodness. Mike got up from kneeling and shook Rick's hand. (rick hasn't touched hands with anyone other than me since Covid) then the man leaned in to hug him. He kept saying, "Rick you a man of integrity, good man, you have a good heart. Please go to one of my restaurants for lunch or dinner and tell them Mike sent you and the meal is on me! You a good man Rick" Not "you're a good man" but 'you' a good man.
This man is so nice. We only have two weeks left and I like that he was in here for us to remember. Rick was dreading him standing over him all day but he likes the guy. So he told him it was a pleasure working for him and if he needed anything before the 30th to let us know. He repeated he was glad he kept his appointment with us (after knowing of the retirement) because no one would have given me these options he claimed. They would have done the tub and taken my money.
He just repeated, "you a good man Rick"
Rick called me at 9:30am to let me know he was going to his 2nd appointment and what had transpired at Mike's. Rick said each time he said, "you a good man Rick" I kept thinking of SNL Garrett Morris saying, "Baseball been very very good to me" It was a different accent but the same cadence and the rolled R in my name and it made me think of this and laugh.
At 10am Mike called me. He said, "I hear you have named me Mohammed Mike" OMG. I froze. We said it as a term of endearment but what if he thought it was racist or something. Then he began to laugh like hell. I wasn't sure what the hell was going on, to be honest with you. Then he said, "That is so funny. Rick told me you say that because I told Rick my name wasn't really Mike. You are both fun and nice people and I understand you are closing from Rick."
I said, "yes I did send you an email about that Mike." He laughed again and said, "You told me once I don't read my emails and you are right" and he laughed again at his admission. My goodness, he is a happy man.
He called just to say thank you for everything. For us being good people and he wished us good health and success in our retirement. Apparently, Rick admitted to him that I was his wife.
The website to the business goes down on Monday. Maybe even Saturday I was told. It's a weird feeling. Oh and I called the IRS this week. I have to close my federal ID #. I was on hold for 2 hrs then a woman answered and we were disconnected. I was livid. That's 2 hrs I won't get back. When things like that happen is when I don't get mind walking away.
We can't seem to sell some of our things. The snowblower. It's 90 degrees so no one is thinking about this. We tried though in winter. Rick said last night that since no one is biting maybe we will need it and it's a sign. I just laughed at him. Snowblower and we're moving south? But it was $750 brand new. We used it for only 1 season. It is still shiny like the day we bought it. Oh well, maybe Raleigh will get snow this coming winter and we'll be the only ones able to get out of our driveway.
It's all becoming real. Next week Rick works for one family doing their 2 bathrooms and a full kitchen of refinishing cabinets. Basically, he's moving in with them for a week. Thankfully this guy has been very nice to work with as well.
He refers to his wife as an invalid. I don't know what that means exactly. I have spoken to her on the phone. I know it's a term they used many years ago but I don't know what it means. Is she in a wheelchair? She seems on the ball mentally. Rick has never seen her so we just don't know. Rick finds the term her husband uses as a bit odd and in today's world, it could be offensive. But they are older so to him it just means she has a disability of some sort I guess. When was the last time you heard that term?
Friday I sent the man a $250 door dash card so that he can have food delivered while Rick has their kitchen down. Each night Rick makes sure they can use their kitchen after he leaves, but most don't want to. Besides their cabinets have been emptied and it is a pain. So we give them this for the inconvenience. This small gesture has gone a long way for us in many ways. It's a small thing that makes a big difference to most. And for me, I just realized it's the last one I ever have to buy. Yippee.
17 comments:
What an enjoyable life you two have. Snowblower, I laughed because here I sat in 90 degrees. Mohammed Mike sounds like a weird guy because as soon as you tell him not to touch it, he does. Is he child?
Have a great weekend you two. Oops, I mean you three.
Cruisin Paul
Nice that you are going out with good customers.
I'm glad Rick is having nice customers for his last ones to deal with.
I had the same snowblower issue you had. No one wants to buy one this time of the year no matter what kind of deal you make them. You could try donating it and getting a tax write-off. Mine was older than yours so I ended up giving it to a friend.
There's a difference between being an invalid and being disabled. An invalid is usually unable to do basic care of themselves where a disabled person might have limitations but can still bath themselves and take care of their own bodily functions in the bathroom. It's not an insult to call someone an invalid. My niece-in-law with MS wasn't just disabled. She couldn't even raise a glass to her mouth to drink on her own. She lived at home with lots of help coming and going through out the day until her mother died and my niece had to go to a long-care facility.
At least these customers are leaving you with a good taste in your mouth--especially if you take M Mike up on the free dinner.
As for "invalid", that is an old term, one my mother wore most of her life. She had really severe asthma so she couldn't work, do house work or cook, all of which my Dad did quite well. Still she could converse with the best of them and was quite popular for a shut in.
You should take the snowblower. It will snow in Raleigh occasionally. You may have to wait a while, but it will be worth it. When the snow is falling and you have the only snowblower for miles around, you will become the King and Queen of all you survey.
It's all becoming real, huh? I hope all goes well with the move, and no longer having to deal with customers. My goodness, what ever will you talk about???
Wow, you are so thoughtful to give the gift card for food! First time I heard of a company doing that! Amazing!
So sweet about Mike. He'll remember you and Rick for a long time, as you both will remember him.
Must be a little bittersweet wrapping things up and moving on even though the end product is a good thing with retiring :)
betty
I think I've found you a job on the Amazon complaint line working from home!
I must start with Mike--Bite Me!
Paul,not a child, he told us he was 77.
Olga, it is but we have until the 30th so you never know but I'm focusing on positive.
Jean, interesting word description. I've spoken to her on the phone but it will be interesting to see her.
Bluzdude- Raleigh gets a whopping 3inches of snow. Even the elderly can push that.😃
Yvonne, why how I'm a fish out of water in the south!
Betty, the first time we did a big kitchen they bitched about their kitchen being unavailable. While it wasn't unavailable it was a pain. So we came up with this. A small amount like this goes a long way.
I have never heard of anyone being as nice as you and your husband. It has been nice knowing you through your blog. I hope you will continue your blog after your move, I
enjoy you.
Sybil, well that's sad. I think we are as nice as most people, just not all. Of course I'll continue to write so don't leave me now. Lots of adventures to come😀
You underestimate the snow-panic in southern states. Hell, we get snow every year here in Baltimore but people still lose their freaking minds every time it happens.
Excited to take this journey with you!
It's got to feel so weird and exciting!! Watch Rick get famous with his turned wood when he retires haha.
Julie, it's more scary than anything.
Wow. Such focus. Do you have a barter website in town. Maybe you could trade the snow blower for something you might need in the south.
Post a Comment