Friday, June 4, 2021

"Mike"

Yesterday we had an appointment with a man who told me his name was Mike.  I chuckled to myself because I knew that was not his real name from his accent.

Rick was there yesterday and he goes back next week for another room.
This guy drove me nuts on the phone. He called me every 3 days or so to remind me we were coming to his home. Yes, I know that Mike. At one point he told me he was 77 and I don't know why. So on Rick's paperwork, I wrote that this man is 77, very nice but either confused, forgetful, or just needs control. Heads up. 

Rick laughed when he read that he needs control.
He said to me, "well it takes one to know one."
Ok, funny boy.   But then he got there. 

This man is very nice but he is overbearing. "Mike's" name is really Mohammed. So Rick refers to him as Mohammed Mike. He told Rick he came to the name of Mike in the '70s when he moved here. The man at the gas station where he was hired told him he couldn't be a Mohammed so he would call him Mike. So, Mike, it was. It stuck and he began to like it and feel more American. I find that sad but I always understand it. In 1970 things were different, not much sadly, but enough to understand why they told him to change his name. 

Mike came to this country and worked his butt off with 3 jobs to get his American Dream. Gas station and 2 restaurants. One restaurant was across the street from the gas station so he could just go from job to job.  
He then worked for Delta Airlines for just over 20 years. As with all travel industry jobs he was downsized and lost his pension (gee Peg knows something about that!) 

He went back to waiting tables and he loved this one place he'd go to eat wings. He asked for a job there. He worked his butt off and became a manager and then bought a franchise. He now has 4 franchises. But still too cheap to turn on the A/C yesterday in his house. His poor wife Rick said was standing in front of a fan and when he came downstairs she moved it to the kitchen while she stood at the sink. My goodness, yesterday was hot if you have A/C and you can afford it, turn it on!   He didn't think they needed the A/C he told Rick who was standing next to him in a dripping wet T-shirt. Stuck to him in fact from water. I guess coming from a desert setting this may not have been hot to him. Who knows. 

Mohammed Mike stood over Rick all day. Kept telling him stories and watching him work. When Rick went outside to mix chemicals at his truck he followed him. When Rick was done he had him come in to see the work that was done and to approve it. He then took out an outdoor type light and a magnifying glass to review Rick's work. Rick said to him, "Mike if you're that attentive to detail you might want to come work for me."   
Of course, he just laughed. Rick passed the inspection and he shook Rick's hand. Rick said it was weird because he has not shook hands with anyone in over a year. 

He told Rick how he just loves America and how he has achieved the American Dream and he was so patriotic until he spoke of our last poor leader in charge.  He did not like him! So he and Rick bonded over that too.

Rick just loves when he hears these stories about how someone comes here to our country with $100 in their pocket and makes something of themselves with no handouts, just damn hard work. We tend to be surrounded by entitled people who just won't work for their money. They just want the money. Sad that an immigrant gets that and we as American's don't always get it. 

When Rick got home he said he felt he now knew the man's entire life story. Rick said he was a bit of a pain but he was a very, very nice man as I told him. He also told me he understood my notes on the work order after spending 5 minutes with the guy. That made me laugh.

So Rick will go back to see Mohammed Mike next week. I am certain his story will continue. Rick doesn't mind the stories, standing over him drives him nuts though.

Only 21 more days. 

12 comments:

Julie H said...

I love people with stories, makes the day go by faster ;) Probably why the old grumpy men end up liking me at work haha.

The latest generations (speaking from the ones I am around) think that they shouldn't have to work to make someone else rich. All fine and dandy if you can figure out how to buy your own groceries and pay your rent.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

What a great story and an interesting customer to remember.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, I agree 100% with you, about both the nice people make the day go faster and that young people just want to be rich. I swear just because they never lost a soccer game they think they never lose at anything.

Jean - he just called me again. He wanted to remind me we are coming next week and he told me Rick forgot the non slips surface on the bottom. I asked him to walk into the bathroom and touch the bottom. Oh yes, he says, they are there. Then he said, "well it's lunch time I'll let you go eat your lunch I will speak with you later" And I thought oh dear!

Linda said...

Nothing like a good life story. They only work if we chose to listen though and so many people prefer to talk.

Great post Peg........21 days indeed!

Arkansas Patti said...

What a neat guy if a bit challenging but I'm sure you and Rick probably made his day. Hope he made yours. We know he gave you a good post for us.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patti,when he called today he told me my boss was a great man. He said he has integrity. What brought that on i don’t know but it was nice. So few are so I had to post a good story

April said...

If my husband had his way he would not turn on the air! Been with him over 30 years and it still drives me crazy. Never heard of a man who is 6'3 - 250 not like the cold.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

April, agreed!! Rick likes it like a meat locker and I just put on something warmer. But we both love it really cold to sleep. I would rather be cold than hot any day of the week.

betty said...

Someone standing over me when I was working would drive me nuts too so I got to give Rick credit for his patience. I'd be finding a way to get rid of the guy. But Mike sounds like a gem and a hard worker! I don't get why some people just won't turn on the air conditioner. I'm cheap and I don't like paying for it but I live in Phoenix and at 113 degrees in the midst of summer no air conditioning would be detrimental to one's well being (in fact we just had our first heat related death for the season and its recommended to check on older people to make sure they are safe).

betty

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I wonder if "Mike" was taking notes on how to do the repair himself. That would drive me nuts though, I agree with Rick.

Barbara said...

I love your comment to Patti. Your boss is a good man. It is kind of sad but once the boomer generation dies out the world may not expect gender labels - like we said about female doctors.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara, once the boomers are gone so is the work ethic sadly.