Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Haircut

I remember this guy!
I love quarantine Rick far better than work Rick.

This morning Rick and I were bantering and he was laughing up a storm.
I realized that Work Rick may have gotten a bit testy with my remark but Quarantine Rick laughed as it was all intended. 

You see I use Stevia in my coffee. On any given day I don't eat "added" sugar until the evening when I have a piece of chocolate. (I mean wine is a lot of sugar)
Well, let me rephrase that. 
In life before quarantine, I did this. 
All bets have been off of late and I am eating chocolate or ice cream willy nilly!

This morning I was making his and my coffee. 
I handed Rick his coffee and as he sat down to enjoy it he saw me rummaging through the pantry.
He asked what I was looking for. 
I told him I was looking for the gallon zip lock bag I put the stevia in. 
He replied, "Oh I used it to make Kool-aid for me."

"You used all of it?  You, who thinks this stuff is awful and yet you didn't use sugar? Why?"
He told me there was another full unopened bag in there, yes, I saw it. 

Okay so let me get this straight, you used all the stevia, left the empty ziplock on the island for me to refill and now I have none and you tell me it's in there but you didn't fill it up after using it all, leaving me to fill it back up?

"Yes, that is what I'm telling you and that makes me sound awful now, doesn't it?"

Yes, Rick, it does make you sound awful. 

"OMG, I just used all your stevia", he says like it just occurred to him as he is laughing his ass off. 
He got up and walked to me and said he was sorry and gave me a squeeze.
I explained it's not a big deal I can open a new container but the fact that you knew you finished it, left the empty bag, and did not refill it is kind of mean mister. Especially when normally I am the only one who uses this.
He is still laughing as he says, "I know! I'm sorry. Bad husband"
Yes, I too am laughing.
I filled my sugar bowl with my newly opened stevia bag and we sat and had our morning brew together. He had an estimate in an empty condo today so he is gone this morning. His hotel job starts tomorrow. I'm trying not to worry.

Little things.
Little things like this make my quarantine worth it.
Work Rick is gone and My Rick is back and he's laughing more, lightened up and just being the guy I know him to be and it's so welcome and wonderful.

Little Things.
I cut Rick's hair with tools that are not for cutting hair. 
The "clippers" are really edgers for his beard but I did what I could do. 
He thinks it looks great. A real barber or hairdresser will see the issues. But I did what I could with what I had.
His hair was flipping over his glasses on the sides, the back was curling. It was far past the time. He loves his gal Chris who does his hair. I've seen her photo, I know why he likes her. It's not his haircut.

Have I told ya'll I was a barber in the '70s? 
Yes, I was a licensed barber.
I no longer have good scissors or a good pair of clippers.
Rick has clippers for his beard, but not what I need for his hair.
My haircutting scissors are not sharp enough, you want the tips to be very sharp.  I gave him a haircut that looks better than the curls he was achieving over his glasses but it's not great.

As I cut his hair he was sitting on a bucket. 
Because he is 6'1 and I'm barely 5'1" he is too tall for me on a chair which I can't make go up and down like at the salon/barber shop. 
I moved to the front of him to cut and he grabbed my boobs. 
I reminded him I was holding a sharp implement. He just laughed. 
I asked him if he does that to his normal hairdresser.  
He said, "I do not grab her but she also doesn't stick her boobs in front of my face."
"Oh, I see, so if she did you'd grab them?"
"In my mind, I would"

Oh my goodness he makes me laugh.
Yes, work Rick is gone and my Rick is here.
I hope he stays.
If this is retirement I am gonna love it.

19 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Everyone not being able to bet haircuts for what well be two month by the time May 1st gets here is the only thing I like about the pandemic. I've been wanting to grow my hair out a little and I like that everyone else will good as shaggy as I do. Not that we see each other under house arrest.

bluzdude said...

So funny... we did the same thing here. I've been needing a haircut for months and usually, I just go to the local Hair Cuttery. It usually takes them about 5 minutes, 2 of which are spent getting in the chair and caped, and out again. They just shear me down, like a sheep.

So I prevailed upon Sweetpea to do the honors, using my beard trimmer. It did not go well, because the beard trimmer did not cut regular hair very well. Took about 20-30 minutes. Looks good though... good enough that I ordered a decent hair clipper from Amazon. Bye-bye to the Hair Cuttery!

(I offered her $20, but she didn't take it.)

Olga said...

gotta love his honesty!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, hair salons here can not open before June 19th here. Thank goodness I see no one is all I can say!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bluzdude, for 20 bucks I'll do it. 😀

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, yep can't fault him there!! Quarantine Rick is funnier than work cranky Rick. What a difference no traffic makes in my life!!

Abby said...

In his mind he would - I was totally thinking that even before I read his response!

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Thanks for a glimpse of normal and funny! I could not cut Romeo's hair, but honestly he didn't do such a great job on himself!! It looks sort of funny but my lips are sealed.....shhhhhh

Mike said...

I'm thinking of letting my hair grow to what it was like in the 70's.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Y- I won't tell him! Mine is not much better. I have gray roots and a cut that is growing out in weird ways. Thank goodness most can't see me. Wore a baseball cap to the store and a mask so they could see nothing :-)


Mike - I want to see that. I dare you!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, now that's funny to me!!

Arkansas Patti said...

I so enjoy yours and Rick's back and forths. Cool you can make eachother laugh when many are a bit cranky.
You really could make a fortune now with your scissors. I am desperate for a cut. I needed one before this all started.
Those masks really do keep us anonymous which is a blessing and fortunately we are not alone in looking shaggy.

Julie H said...

Probably won't be long before Scott is going to need a trim. I used to cut his hair years ago when we were first together til it was so bad they made fun of him at work lol.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patti, I could make some money but I can't cut from a "social distance" :-)

Julie - oh that's bad then. You may wish to find another way. Or shave his head. :-)

Brian said...


I'm about the same height as Rick. I can verify what a horrible imposition it is when your female hair stylist has to lean in to make a few snips on the top of ones head. Always from the side, but even my arms can feel every ounce of compression happening. The things we have to put up with!

With the way my hair is thinning on top, I'm going to end up with a skullet by the time hair cuttery places re-open. May have to call my stylist and see of she does house calls.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Brian, thats a hoot! You guys. Rick is very thin on top. Not to be confused with his meddle. Oooh... He'd kill me for that one. Good thing he has only read my blog twice.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I meant " his middle"

Cruisin Paul said...

I haven't shaved in an over two months and I was bald and had shaved before. I don't even know myself. I look scary. LOL

Cruisin Paul

Barbara said...

Well, who knew you had been a barber? Fascinating. I'm glad you two are sharing so much humor in a lockdown. Be sure to ask for adjoining cells if you ever tell one of those customers what you really think.