Wednesday, April 22, 2020

What I'm watching

We have YouTube as a channel on our TV line up. (ch 371)
I had heard that John Krasinski, (yes Jack Ryan and the office John K)
had a show on YouTube that was called Some Good News (SGN)

He does this from his home. I think the episodes are 30 minutes or less.
There is one episode a week. 
No news that is depressing, just uplifting news.

We watched the 1st one and got a kick out of it.
You see we will tune in to the news in the morning and then the rest of the day we don't wish to hear the same shit rehashed. It gets so heavy and depressing and it just is not good to do to oneself while in quarantine. 
So we figured let's turn this on instead of the news.
So at around 6:30 when the news is on we watch this. If it is a day that there is no SGN  on we will go to Cheers or Seinfeld or not watch TV at all. We just know for us, watching the news on a loop does nothing positive for us.

John does this show from his home. In the first episode, we giggled when he got up from his chair and he had on a tutu. From the waist up as we all look when on Zoom we have dressed appropriately, but what no one can see is usually a disaster.
Each episode we look forward to what he is wearing below the waist as the show ends and he gets up from his chair. Silly of us but it is cute. Boston Red Sox Boxer shorts I think was his 2nd episode below his suit coat and tie.

He held a live prom on YouTube this past weekend. Billie Eilish and Jonas Brothers and Chance the rapper. I tuned in but didn't stay. I got a kick out of it when I saw the mom and dads dressed to the 9's as well.

I believe there have only been 4 episodes so far. Give it a go for some good news and tongue in cheek "reporting"  Brad Pitt did the weather, he stuck his head out of the window and went, eh it's okay or some such silly thing.
Just silly stuff but not depressing.
We all need some good news - SGN.

We have watched the Jimmy's doing their late-night shows from home.
Fallon's kids interrupt and I don't honestly find that all that endearing. Especially in the middle of an interview with Halle Berry. He looks like his house in the Hamptons where he is quarantined is a hobbit house. Dreadful but the slide to the floor below I am certain everybody loves. I'd use it all the time!
These shows aren't great but I do like John's even if only 1 day a week.

In other news...
Friday is Season 2 of After Life. I so love Ricky Gervais. Season 1 was so damn good. I admit at the beginning I thought his character was such an asshole and asked myself why the hell I am watching it. He was just so angry and mean.
Rick plugged away and I watched along with him and then as you realize he is in such deep mourning over his wife's death that him being an asshole to everyone around him is how he is coping. If it weren't for his dog he claims he would have killed himself than to go on without her. But he can't bear doing that to his dog. He does make a friendship with a woman on a bench who visits her husband's grave. They sit and chat about their spouses. It is lovely. I fear we will find that she is a figment of his imagination. Rick said he doesn't think that will be the case. I hope Rick is right. This woman is perfect fodder for seeing his cranky and not allowing it.
By the end of the first season, he is being more kind to himself. We are both looking forward to this lovely show coming back on Netflix Friday. If you like Ricky then you will like this. The mailman and he crack me up.
And why is it that if a Brit swears it sounds far more lovely than if I said it.

I saw this on FB
If you don't have Facebook then I'm sorry you can't see this family.
I couldn't get this link without using Facebook. 
This father had the right idea to keep the kids busy for a while.

I loved it because it was fun but the kids are perfect.
The first kid being the oldest goes down the correct way. Type A, helps her little sister, and does it correctly. 
The 2nd child is a boy and of course, he goes down the homemade slide backward thinking he is so cool.
Then the baby. She goes down on her belly backward and with nothing to help her slide under her. She started with a pillow but somewhere along the line, it wasn't there. The typical baby of the family doing it her way. 
I thought the family dynamics were so interesting. The whole thing was fun and I wish Rick could make this for me here at our home. Having 3 floors it would be fun to slide down the steps instead of walking or running up and down the steps.

And finally, this was sent to me from my friend in Ireland who despises our orange leader and sends me some of the foulest things that even I won't share.
But he knows I am never offended. Last week I said, "Hey Bruce you were my boss isn't this inappropriate?"  He wrote back, "I'm not your boss anymore!"
I love the guy and I love how he is so ensconced in our politics. I told him if I were him I'd just be thankful I didn't live in the U.S. anymore and be done with all this crap.  I admit I love his perspective on all things American because he makes me see things through a different lens and more often than not it makes me laugh and I see what he is seeing.  When he first moved here he would whisper something to me and ask me what it meant. Words may sound the same here as they are in the UK but they sure don't mean the same thing. It was a great learning experience for us both.  His friendship means the world to me.  I wish I could go to visit him.

Here is what he sent.

9 comments:

Grace said...

Looking forward to Season 2 of the Ricky Gervais show myself. Some of his stuff I have no patience for (I'm sorry, what was the point to "The Office"?) But if you want a really lovely, and thoughtful movie, try "The Invention of Lying" and "Ghost Town" was good too.

Olga said...

I like the good news show as well. And thanks for the heads up about a new season of After Life. LOVE The Liar Speaks Tonight -- sending that on to my son and daughter. hey'll get a kick out of it on several levels.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Grace, I loved the Invention of Lying. Great concept! I have not seen Ghost Town and will look for it. Thx.
I loved the office when it was on the BBC America it was the British version of course. I never watched The Office here in America, tried but did not care for it.


Olga, glad you liked it. I knew I would offend some but you know what? This man offends me so there. How is that for childish?

Mike said...

I just saw the video 20 minutes ago and have already reposted on FB.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, list liar or the slide on facebook?

Julie H said...

Going to have to check out the good news on You Tube. I've been watching more and more stuff on there.

Arkansas Patti said...

Loved the Liar Tweets tonight. Pretty sure that "vote him away" will be in my head most of the day.
I can't watch any of the shows you mentioned on TV but can get them on my computer through YouTube.
Thanks, I needed a break from the constant news.

April said...

It's a tree house that Fallon is reporting from!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

April they have a kitchen in a tree house? Or some of it is in a tree house.