Thursday, April 23, 2020

Where Do You Keep The Spoons?

Things I heard last evening that may or may not have annoyed me.
  • Everything is too organized now and I can't find a damn thing.
  • wow. all my laundry is done. How did you do that?
  • This is the best dinner ever.
  • Where do you keep the flour?
The answers to the above.
  • Good grief, keep looking, geez. NOTHING is in a new place
  • Aargh. !@#$ !@#$! !@#$!% !#@$!$*&^% !!!!!
  • Good because I am so friggin' sick of cooking dinner, nachos are a fine dinner, go ask any 15 year old. 
  • The same place it's been the last 20 years of living here. Go find it. No, I am not giving you directions in our own home. You live here too. And don't tell me it's not on google maps because it wasn't funny the first time you said it.
Yes, I made nachos for dinner. Don't shame me. I had a cocktail and some nachos. I just did not feel like cooking. And honest to God nothing sounded good to eat. So fat and calorie-laden nachos it was. Rick was in heaven as you can see from our platter. He devoured most of it. He loves leftover nachos when soggy the weirdo, so I put the leftovers on a plate and I know for certain he will eat them when he gets home this afternoon. We should have grilled something because the weather was so nice and today and tomorrow are to be all day rains. 
Gross Finished Nacho Plate:

Last night we were on the stoop with the dog. Our young neighbors next door came out with their dogs. Staying a safe 7 ft away from us we chatted. I should say the female of the household chattered and we listened.

She works in marketing for Audi. (she drives very nice cars!)  Her dept. has stopped all marketing campaigns and all marketing period. No money to be spent for the foreseeable future. She was to hire someone for her team and they have stopped all hiring. She said that there is not much for her to do on a daily basis now. 
I asked if she felt her job was secure. She said, Oh yea I do. Spoken like someone who has never been in that situation before.

Then she went on to tell me that they are looking at buying a new home. They found one that needed some work but because of needing work it was only $650K so they are going back to look at it Friday. She went on to explain that this trip was to add up all they need to do before they move in and the totals costs. She thinks they can get by with only spending another 50-75K.  
Rick said what I never would have said to her and he asked, "Did you think you may want to wait until your job security is settled."  
She said, "Oh I won't lose my job. They have not had layovers since I was born."  

Okay, this is where Rick and I have been around this block a few times.
I too did not think I could possibly lose my job when I was number 1 on the east coast every year I was there except my first year. I had awards and commendations, I was sought out by headhunters for the competition. I too was cocky. But guess what? I lost my job, my pension, and a healthy six-figure income. So you've got to be prepared.  You may not get a job in your field again or at the same level. But she thinks she is untouchable. She works in a cubicle for a team that has been shut down. No money. So why wouldn't their next step be to begin layoffs?  I know she may be a manager or head of a team, but she works in a cubicle,. Those are the first to go. Not the guy in the glass office overlooking the Potomac and overlooking her desk/cubicle.  
(We also do not live in the dumb part of the south that is reopening and ignoring science. So we will be in lockdown for at least another 30 days or until the curve flattens.)

She waxed poetic about her job and this new house and I hope she gets to keep both. I just am thrilled after Rick asked he shut the hell up!!
Being the head of many HR depts he has seen this and he felt from his previous experience she should be concerned about her job status right now.   

She told us her parents (just a decade older than us) were trying to convince her to wait until she saw how this played out at work before buying a new home. 
She said her mom didn't understand that homes sell here in 2 days and due to the pandemic they have time but not a lot of time. She said then her father called her to try to talk some sense into her. She laughed and told her dad the same thing. We smiled and listened.

She is so excited about this house that I hope it all works out for her.
I like these kids. His job is very stable. He works for the cloud. He is the electrician who keeps it all running. We have a town of nothing but gray buildings and it is the cloud for many companies, Verizon, Amazon, etc.
She did mention that if they only lived on one of their incomes they couldn't do this. Something was said when she was discussing her conversation with her father.  Thankfully Mr. No Filter Rick said nothing and neither did I. Again we just listened.  It is none of our concern or business.  I can't imagine being the parents and watching your kids do this. It would be like watching a free fall. I hope her parents and her neighbors Rick and Peg are wrong. She finally asked if they are gone longer than expected on Friday would I walk the dogs. I said sure. 
So that ended that.  

I said later to Rick that when I was that age (30s) I am not sure what I would do. You think you're invincible until shit happens to you and you become a bit more trepidacious. It's all part of living and growing up. 
I saw that kind of stuff in my family but I still think I may have behaved just like her.   I'm not sure. So with age comes life experience. If she loses her job this will be her life experience. I just hope she doesn't. 

Lockdown meme of the week.

12 comments:

Cruisin Paul said...

Now that was funny watching that video. Thank God we have a big house. There is three of us, my daughter is in her room ( it's like her own apartment ) my wife is everywhere and me, I'm sitting in my chair watching " Touched By An Angel " every day. This is going nuts. LOL.
Keep safe Peg.

Cruisin Paul

Olga said...

OMG, I am laughing so hard at that video that tears are running down my face and i don't even have a man in the house at the moment.All emotions live so close to the surface these days!

Anonymous said...

Oh, God! I laughed long & hard. So true. Right on target. Thanks again Margaret (Peg, or Peggy too) for making my afternoon even better before I get my fanny outside the door for an MRI. These are the little things that keep me in a good mood despite it all. Love your blog. Don't comment often, but I love it & read it daily. Hugs to you and yours.

bluzdude said...

Oh, to be young and bulletproof again!

Back in 2008, after 12 years of apartment dwelling, I was finally doing well enough to look into buying a house. But then our company went up for sale. That ended my house-hunting immediately. I've been through the layoff grinder before so there was no way I was going to extend myself during a period of such uncertainty. That's just hard-won experience, that your young friends haven't earned yet.

Luckily, through blind dumbass luck, I managed to stick around with the company that bought us. (My counterpart was looking to get out of the job we both were doing for our companies, so the consolidated job fell to me.)

I hope your friends are similarly fortunate. If not, I bet they don't try THAT again.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bluzdude, we've both been there so we get it. They will learn just like we did. I'm glad you got to keep your job. Sadly I did not. I sold everything!! I am thankful I had things to sell. Rick lost his job 6 months later. fun, fun, fun. But the important things I have and that is all that matters!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Regina, I am glad I could help. I hope your MRI goes well. ((hugs))

Arkansas Patti said...

That video was so funny. Sure you didn't write it?
Being 30 was almost as bullet proof as being a teen. This seems like the absolute wrong time for big purchases but she only hears what she wants. At least Rick and her parents tried. I worked for a utility (hard to get more solid) and it enticed all of us over 50 out the door. I wish her luck.

Mike said...

"I made nachos for dinner."
What do you mean you didn't cook? That would be a major project for me. Not that I would fix nasty nachos. When Claudia is eating nachos, I make her stay 6 feet away from me.

A fixer upper for 650? HA! If I paid 650 for a house here I would expect the existing butler and maid to sign a long term contract.

Abby said...

Wow, 650K for a fixer upper. I'm not sure if your neighbor's optimism will help her or hurt her. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
I hardly ever cook dinner anymore since the youngest kid moved out. I do the grocery shopping, he can transform them.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, yea it's not cheap here for buying homes that is for certain. This area is very odd and very insulated. I want to eat so because I am celiac I can't just grab a sandwich or some such thing. I looked at these blue bunny ice cream sundaes. Small container for an individual. Rick saw them on a TV commercial. I was reading the ingredients and most of these had wheat in them. Why is there wheat in ice cream? So, of course, I can't even eat those if I wanted to eat something like that. I have to make everything from scratch and some days I'd rather have a glass of wine and some popcorn. (yes stuff premade to throw in the microwave will sometimes have wheat so I make my own) I can't get away from cooking and I HATE TO COOK. Tip: 1/4 cup of regular popcorn put into a brown lunch bag will pop a nice amount for one person. Who needs the chemical-laden stuff from Orville anyway!?

Bohemian said...

A Cocktail and Nachos seems like a Fine Meal to me... Pandemic or not!

Julie H said...

LOL on the video. I'd be in a closet if everyone was home all day. Trevor is slightly annoying here and there since we are the only 2 here ALL the time.

Yeah pretty stupid to spend move like that unless they are going to make bank on their current house. I did say before thought that if the market ever drops out here I'm going to buy another house in town somewhere. Houses are so expensive around here now I'm just kicking myself for not buying one when they were cheap 10 years or so ago. I don't have a house payment so it would be a good tax write off and I'd rent it out to my kids so I don't have to worry about them lol.