Monday, April 27, 2020

Monday Morning

Some random items that have been said, have occurred or just went through my little old head.

Watching Jeopardy with my husband always makes me laugh. 
I admit I do learn a lot as well. He knows the things I don't normally.
I learn that he can go through a critter category like nobodies business.
I don't know my critters but my hillbilly sure does. When he does get an answer wrong he will say, "Same Thing" which always makes me laugh. 
If the answer is Nova Scotia, and he answered Prince Edward Island, he will just say, 'Same Thing' as if he is correct. But how else would I have learned about 2 and 3 toes sloths? Give me geography and I can clean out that column. But critters, nope. 

We watched the full season of After Life on Saturday. 
We were crying like babies throughout the full season. 
My God Ricky Gervais is good in this. 
The pain that is on every inch of his face just kills me. 
Rick was crying, I was crying. Izzy did not cry but came over to us both for comfort. I think she thought we were both upset. Izzy was so cute.  This is such a lovely show! Ah, but sometimes the translation.

As I have said to you before I had a boss from Ireland. He went ballistic when someone in a meeting said "fanny pack" when it was announced we were going to Vegas for our conference. Of course, Bruce took me aside, (I was his translator) and he asked what do we Americans think a fanny pack is? I explain. He whispers to me with a beet-red face what fanny means in the UK. Oops.  No, that is just a vagina here. 
And the C-word which is so nothing there, but means something so awful here. There were times when he would pull out a paper and ask me over drinks what the hell we Americans were saying and we'd go through his list. I loved this man as a boss but as a friend, he is the best. He would bring things to my attention that I may or may not have ever noticed and he would ask why we said or did this or that. It made me see things through his eyes and more often than not it made me laugh because his observations were spot on and always right. This show throws all those words out there that so fondly remind me of Bruce's first move to the U.S. and me being the translator. 

Our life has not changed that much during the pandemic. We are busy with work. Doing what we can in empty homes. It shocks me how many people will leave their homes and allow us in them just to get this done. Priorities are all screwed up but I must say it is keeping us afloat since we are getting no SBA loan or unemployment or stimulus monies. We are the little guy in the middle being screwed once again.

I am no longer watching the news except in the early morning to see if anything else happened.
You know like what asinine thing the orange leader spewed this time. 
Then no more news. Period.
I don't need it.  I am doing it all correctly. Social Distancing - ALWAYS. 
I have been wearing a mask for 3 weeks when out and about. 
I only go to the pharmacy and grocery store so we're okay with all my travels. :-)

Rick on Friday was in the town of Reston VA. He stopped at a Home Depot in this city between his jobs. He was standing in line to be let in (walkie talkies tell the guy at the front door if 1 or more people can enter by how many have left)
As Rick was about to enter he saw a man walking from to his car with a big ass amount of Charmin. 
He yelled to the man - you got that inside? 
The man shook his head yes.
Rick was thrilled he was next to get in. Of course, he got some Charmin first. They had a lot. He so wanted to take more than 1 but he felt that was wrong since we get angry at others for hoarding. 
But one big container of 16 rolls was a good find!

He got home on Friday and held it behind his back. 
He said, "Who loves you, baby?"
"What did you do Richard?"
He laughs and insists he only did something that is going to make me very, very happy.
He brings his hands to the front and proudly holds the Charmin.
I squeal of course.  I jumped up and down like I was a teenager.
For friggin' Charmin. How pathetic is my life? But I am so very happy!

I immediately took off that damn "angel soft" which I might add is anything but soft and put Charmin on the roll. We went about our day.  That evening Rick gets up and uses the powder room downstairs and I hear him say from the closed bathroom door, "Oh how I love Charmin!" 
That made me laugh. Yes, we both love our Charmin.

Here is my pandemic Meme of the Day:



14 comments:

Grace said...

I binged 'After Life' on Friday, but first I watched the last episode of season one. And yes, there WILL be a season 3...

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Yes Grace I knew that. Saw an interview with Ricky on BBC America.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

The meme with we funny if it wasn't do damn stupid and dangerous for 45 to put that crap out there.

Love that you score 16 rolls!!!1 I have not been lucky yet.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, well apparently you and I have been going the traditional route. We needed to go to Home Depot or Lowes apparently...and who knew?!

Arkansas Patti said...

Seeing Obama and Hillary cracking up made my day. Oh I miss them.
I worked with an English girl years ago and use to crack up at the difference meanings to normal words. She married a Yankee GI and when they met, she asked him what time he planned to "knock her up". That threw him but she just meant what time would he come by the house to pick her up.

Olga said...

I have watched only the first episode of season two. Binging for me involves two shows in a row.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Patti that is funny!! Yes watching this show I would be appalled if I had not learned the meaning of the same word in the U.K.it appears we speak the same language but we do not.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, I admire your restraint😉

Mike said...

Did you tell your old boss that Fanny is a girls name here?

Julie H said...

I watched all of the After Life the other day. They do throw the C word around a lot! It was sad but good too!

Bohemian said...

I Love that Meme of Hillary and Obama... in Private, I just know this had to of been said for Reals!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, I did not tell Bruce that was a womans name.

Julie - yes they do and yet it means nothing as we mean it.

Bohemian - This is my all time favorite meme!!

Barbara said...

Glad you've got empty houses/buildings to keep you busy. Last I heard from my grandson they were still busy in a new build. I've had pretty good luck with toilet paper since the initial hoarding but that might be because there are quite a few grocery stores in driving distance. Still on the same tank of gas since the start of this disaster movie.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara, yes it is weird to have a tank of gas last this long. I now must seriously diet before this is over 'cuz everything is tight!!