Sunday, April 12, 2020

Shingles

I got a bump on my eyelid on Monday. We joked that I was getting a pimple on my left eyelid. Inside corner to be exact. As the week went on I thought maybe eczema. But the pain and burning left me convinced this was not the case. Oh my the pain!

Friday I  called my eye dr. The office is completely shut down due to 2 of the doctors in the group had Covid-19. They did not even have a dr. on call. I kept thinking I was making a big deal out of nothing. Then Saturday morning when I woke up my eye was almost swollen shut. Everything about this was worse and now in my hairline. Yikes!

Rick had to work Saturday at that empty hotel so I put on my mask, gloves and went to Walgreens looking for something to stop this burning pain. I went to the pharmacist and as we both kept our distance I asked what he'd recommend for the itching/burning of my eyes, but it's not seasonal allergies I wanted him to know. He asked me to take off my glasses. He leaned forward and said, "you sure that isn't shingles?" I told him I didn't know. He told me what to buy and I went to that aisle.

There was a woman stocking shells and I asked where this stuff was located and she looked at me and said, "oh, you have shingles." I laughed and told her I did not know what this was. She said, "been there done that, that's shingles you poor thing. Call your dr. You need medication right away!"

So I came home from Walgreens and called my doctor. I was thrilled she was the on call doctor from her group. We did a conference call online so she could see my eye and my hairline.
Yes, she tells me its shingles. Great.

Yes, I did have the shingles vaccine 4 years ago I believe, after Rick got shingles. The following year a new vaccine came out. They claimed it was far better. But the new vaccine is several hundred dollars and not covered by insurance BUT when you go on medicare it will be free.

I honestly thought I  could get away with waiting for the new 2 part shot since I had the old vaccine. Apparently I was very wrong.

I am thankful for quarantine because no one can see me that is for sure. I'm one hot oozing mess.

Are we having fun yet?

17 comments:

Mike said...

I did the one-shot but I still haven't done the two-shot regimen. They have been out of it the few times I've asked. Maybe with everyone worrying about Cofefe-19 I can get the double.

Nancy in Dallas said...

So sorry you have to go through this. On the other hand you also have given me the nudge I need to get the shots even though they are expensive. Hope you are better very soon.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Never had shingles but know people how have had it. It's terrible! So sorry you had to get this on top of everything else going on.

Karen said...

Please be careful as any shingles on your face can involve your optic nerve. Hopefully you got antivirals and hopefully a medrol dose pack ( decreasing steroid medication pack). They both worked well for me when I had shingles 2 times prior to getting the double dose vaccine a few months ago. If your eye sight becomes involved, see doctor immediately. I do not mean to be scaring you but the shingles follow a nerve root and that is why you have to be careful with your optic nerve! Take care

Cruisin Paul said...

Oh my dear friend, I hope that everything gets back to normal. I hope that your shingles go away. It will. God will take care of all of us. Keep safe Peg.

Cruisin Paul

Arkansas Patti said...

Oh I am sooo sorry you have the shingles and in such a bad spot. I hope the doctor prescribed the proper meds for it. I believe it takes an antiviral. Around the eye can be dangerous. I had it several years ago on my trunk (navel to backbone) and it does hurt a bunch. Please get good care.

Abby said...

Oh NO! Well, I'm glad you got it diagnosed (hopefully) properly.
I just got the Shingrix vaccine - I'm pretty sure that's the "new and improved".
My doc told me, the sooner you have it diagnosed and treated, the better, so hopefully that's you!

Olga said...

Oh, no! I am so sorry that happened to you. The hope is that having the first vaccine will at least lessen the impact of the shingles.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I'm so sorry to hear about you getting shingles. I've never had it, but my Dad did, and many of our patients have told me it is very painful. I'm glad you were able to discover what was happening and get ahold of your Doc. That's a rather nasty Easter surprise. Take care, Peg.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you have a shingles attack. Had one several years ago & can completely empathize. Ouch!!! Since Rick had a case, I'm sure you're aware how uncomfortable it can be. Lucky to have your pooch & Rick with you. Hoping the attack doesn't last very long & you can just chill out. Hugs.

Grace said...

I realize this is too little, too late but do you have a Harris Teeter near you? We get all our 'shots' there, including the 2-part shingles for free. We got the 2-part as soon as it was available (as well as the original one - HT actually contacted us for both the shots and said "Hey you should get this") I hope the meds work quickly and efficiently...

Abby said...

Hey Peg, I've left you a few comments that haven't shown up, including a prior one on this post. Who knows?!
Hopefully you get this one because I'm sorry to hear you have shingles! I just got my second round of shingrix - the "new and improved" vaccine, I think. I hope your treatments work FAST fast.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thx everyone.
Abby,this is the only one I've seen. Sorry.

Barbara said...

OMG. How unfair. I have heard that shingles is very painful. I had the shot one year after learning about it but didn't get it again - either. Damn something else to worry about. Hope you get some relief soon.

Mary said...

I just got the first shot about a month ago and will do the second one in a couple of months. I am on Medicare and it does not cover the shot. It cost me $165 but the second one may be covered since I will have met my deductible. It’s worth it to me no matter the cost..
My FIL had it for 2 years and it was awful.

Julie H said...

Oh my God girl, so sorry :( (((hugs)))

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thank you all.
Yes, I will get the 2nd vaccine as soon as I can. One can't until this is completely out of your system.
I was told it was free on medicare but from what you all are telling me it's not so why wait.
I know it was $700-800 dollars without medicare so if on medicare it is only $200 then I may wait. I'm going to call about prices this week. No money coming in now will play a part sadly.

We can not go out of our home without masks and gloves. We are not allowed out of our homes to do anything other than to the grocery store, medical and work. If outside farting around you will be fined $2,500. We have well over 15K cases in the area. My county has over 5K cases and 145 deaths so far. (my county has a population of 400K)

In the big scheme of things I am still doing okay and we are living okay.
I am thankful that quarantine does not normally bug me.
But I've only been quarantined for 4 weeks. Ask me at week 8.
Thx everyone for your kind words!