Rick likes to cook. I, unfortunately, I like to eat.
It is a terrible combo. Be careful what you wish for ladies.
I'd prefer a man who did laundry, ironed and knew how to clean floors.
Or maybe I should say it this way, a man who can see that the floors are in dire need of cleaning and that the pile of laundry won't do itself.
My man has good eyesight until it comes to cleaning and chores.
He is the one who will clean the bathroom to a sparkling shine. But outside of the bathroom he is either blind or wears blinders.
Rick is home a lot right now although still working.
He just wants to cook, eat and drink.
Yesterday I walked to the mailbox.
I came back to him tearing apart a rotisserie chicken purchased at the grocery store and making soup. A VAT of soup.
I was planning to use this chicken for something else but okay.
He keeps telling me we can freeze the soup. I know but we still have leftovers from all of last week and you're cooking for a damn crowd.
My new routine is this -
He cooks all day and I clean up after him all day.
We have coffee.
I make him breakfast or he gets his own.
I do dishes and wipe down the island and stove etc.
Basically, just clean the kitchen.
He is now talking about lunch at 11:30a.
You just ate buddy! You can't be hungry.
Finally, lunchtime rolls around and he is making a meal like it's his last.
Whoa, I tell him if you eat this then what is going on with dinner?
Okay, he says I will just make one burger. (he was going to add tator tots to this as well as 2 burgers until I suggested he may wish to rethink that)
He makes a burger in the cast iron skillet and builds himself a big fat burger with the fixin's . He has grease everywhere - stovetop, countertop, microwave.
I don't know how he does this. Or how he doesn't see this!
I do the dishes, clean the stove and everywhere he has essentially been and I clean the kitchen island. Again.
No shit, 15 minutes go by and he asks what I want for dinner.
I told him to stop eating and thinking about food.
How about you go to the garage and finish the building of the A/C vent cover?
Okay, he says, as he grabs a handful of cashews. You know he needs those cashews, he could darn right starve on that walk to the garage.
He comes in at just past 5pm. I have come downstairs from the office and just wish to "be" for a few minutes.
You know just to decompress after talking to customers all day.
I am on the floor with the dog when he walks in.
He asks, "Are you making dinner or am I?"
So now we are eating early bird special? It is just past 5 o'clock babe.
You ate lunch at 1pm. Seriously you are out of control.
He goes to shower off the wood dust etc he has all over him.
He comes downstairs and says I'll start dinner if you want.
I ask him to sit down.
I have a come to Jesus meeting with him.
You can't become that old guy in retirement who eats himself to death.
What is going on with you?
Stress.
I know. But I think I'd prefer an alcoholic. (just kidding of course!)
He laughed and my comment did the trick. He waited a bit to ask about dinner again. You know like 40 minutes.
I suggest fish tacos. He loves fish tacos. (I hate them) Also less fattening.
He whines we have no avocados.
I asked if they were good without the avocado because you have eaten them without before. He nods it will be fine.
As I stand in front of the refrigerator with the door open I see all the Tupperware containers of leftovers. I suggest we might consider leftovers and save the fish tacos for another night.
Thankfully he agrees that may be the way to go.
I made a chuck roast in the crockpot with all the veggies in a wine and beef broth stock that was incredibly good. We had a lot leftover. Even mashed potatoes and gravy were left over. I ask Rick what leftovers he'd like. He said to bring them all out. I refused. I reheated the roast with veggies and mashed potatoes. He will have that. If I put all the leftovers out, he will eat it all. There was enough leftover roast and trimmings for 4 people.
We settle in after a long after-dinner walk with Izzy to watch some TV.
At 9p he tells me he wants a little somethin' somethin'.
I laugh and think he meant sex and I turn to look at him.
I realize he means food. He asked, do we still have ice cream?
OMG. Who is this man?
I told him the walk to the freezer would do him good. I don't know.
I knew we still had some. I haven't had any since we brought it home.
But he was annoying me and I thought he could get off his butt and go see for himself. He asked if he could get me a bowl. Nope, I didn't want any. (ok that isn't true I did want some but I didn't want to eat it because I am not moving as before and I am eating too much of late) As I have mentioned here many times I really have to watch my intake to maintain chubby.
Honest to God this man needs to go to work or he won't fit through the door to leave the house. And I am seriously tired of cleaning up the kitchen all day.
He told me to let it go, ya'll know I can't leave food all over the stovetop and crumbs on the counters. My head will explode.
So apparently our new thing is, he will continually cook 24/7 for a crowd of people in a home of 2 and I will continually clean up after him and eat great food.
First world problems at best.
18 comments:
No sex???? LOL Just keep safe my friends. I've been worrying a great deal. Kind of waste of time because I have no control of anything. Enjoy life Peg. See ya.
Cruisin Paul
We have all kinds of mismatched meals made of whatever leftovers are on hand. Sweetpea calls it "Refrigerator Review."
Paul, I did not say that, just not at that moment😛
Bluzdude, I rather like refrigerator reviews. Roast beef still left over was Rick's lunch for work today. We are very low on TP so I told him to stop eating, it will help. He did not find that as funny as me.
Oh my goodness.
I'd worry over it, too. I have a guy who eats a lot, too. And he's a wonderful cook. I'm the one who makes batches too large for our family, though. Did it just last night. But I'm the one who's eating too much here. During our regular life, I don't have time to cook. I'm at work until 6:15 or 6;30, so he does his own dinner. I eat a very light meal when I get home.
But now I'm here where the refrigerator is. And all the other stuff.
And I'm cooking. A buttload.
Hey, what if Rick had to drive all the way to Oregon for dinner? He can clean my bathroom while he's here!!
Aren't you glad I am here to solve your problems?
Ami, I understand the eating. We're here, it's here, we're stressed, we eat. I predict when this is over a lot of the following: divorces, babies and diets!
Now I'm feeling lucky that my husband doesn't stress cook! He did go shopping and bring home a buncha what-the-hell-are-these snacks, though.
Abby, oh he cooks like this even when not stressed. Difference is he is not working full time so he is here a lot to do this. He does the same with the snacks.
I have 2 guys the same size as Rick here. There are hardly ever ANY left overs. I've been cutting back on how much I cook because they will eat it ALL. Gotta save some stuff for another day sheesh. Right this minute Trevor is making us waffles lol
You might need to take in boarders to keep the master chef satisfied. My dad was a marvelous cook, plus he cleaned,did laundry and ironed. I thought all men did that. What a shock when my ex and I got home from our honeymoon and both sat on the couch waiting for the other to get up and start dinner. I've been looking for a Rick ever since.
Oh Julie, when you say it like that I felt your pain.if I had a son who ate like Rick we'd need another job to keep food in the house!
Patti, I would like to offer his services. He irons, cooks very well, does dishes but doesnt realize the counters and stove are part of the clean up. If you are okay with that I'll rent him out. Not working means no money coming in and I can charge a small fee. No sexual favors, otherwise he's yours🤣
Oh, my! I would be eating like mad if someone in my household was a good cook ~ well, besides me :-) Romeo made a "white cake" yesterday....he declared it "not bad!", I gave it a thumbs down. To be fair I am Orthodox Christian and during Lent we are fasting from dairy, meat, eggs, etc. In other words, a vegan diet. So he had to make the cake without eggs, lol. I have been walking a lot, and trying hard not to snack too much, with varying degrees of success.
Good luck on reining Rick in though! Maybe popcorn?
Stay safe, y'all.
I have been fortunate to have men in my life who are neat and clean freaks, sometimes to a fault, EXCEPT for the need to vacuum. I don't really get it. I know exactly one male person who has any kind of relationship with a vacuum cleaner and he is mildly autistic about it.
I had to quit buying ice cream because of the anti-diabetes diet I'm on. 55 grams of fat or less a day. No wait, because I've lost weight I'm down to the 50g level. I could easily eat a gallon of ice cream.
I've been eating too. My sugar has been high. Goodness only knows what I would be like if I had home-cooked food instead of whatever I can find.
Got on the scales this morning and shocked myself. I have to quit the stress eating!!!!!!!!!
Anon, you're brave. I know and look at it each morning when I get out of the shower. BUT I will not step on it.
Post a Comment