Friday, March 31, 2017

Exciting Rainy Morning

Well someone got hurt but it wasn't me today.

I think there may be a black cloud of injuries over our company.
The injury bastards hit Gary this morning and not me for a change.

Gary's first appointment was at 8 am today.
I got a call from this customer shortly thereafter telling me that Gary was at the hospital in Alexandria. WHAT?
The customer, Dan, told me he asked Gary if he could watch for a bit so he saw the whole thing.
Gary was stripping the bathtub of its old finish. He was using a razor scraper as always with the chemical stripper. Gary went across an area that was hard and he pushed and the razor slipped and it cut his forearm. The blood "was spurting up like a geyser" Dan told me.
He said this like it was a very cool thing. Perhaps to a guy that wasn't hurt, but I was not thinking this was cool. Dan went on to tell me that they just couldn't get it to stop bleeding.  So they wrapped him in paper towels and Gary drove himself to the hospital. Which thankfully was nearby.

I called Workers Comp and got a claim going so Gary was not paying for any of this out of pocket. I text Gary the claim number he would need to give them.
He sent me a picture of his arm and it was so gross!! Gee thanks, Gary.

As I write this I do not know what is going on with him at the hospital. I am sure when he is discharged he will call me. He has been there for hours now.

Rick in the mean time was working at a condo in Aldie Virginia.
Not even close to where Gary was today. (with no traffic, it's an hour away)
I knew Rick would be done at 10 am so I arranged for Rick to go to the job Gary was at and rescheduled Rick's day.
Thankfully the rest of Rick's day was all in-home estimates.
Rick isn't thrilled but he will be working tomorrow now.

Dan, the customer, was happy to hear Rick was coming to finish the job.
The job is an 8 hr job so this will be a long day since Rick wouldn't even get there until after 11 am.

I did get a photo from Rick as well of Gary's blood all over this man's bathroom. What a mess. Rick said the customer was being very nice about it all which is sure helpful in this type of situation.

As of this moment in time, I am praying nothing happens to Rick, that Gary will be fine and that the bubble wrap that I have wrapped myself in will not be damaged by the rain when I walk Izzy in a few minutes.

UPDATE: Gary was at the hospital for 7 hours. 
He got 5 stitches on the inside and 12 on the outside. They sent him home and told him not to work until Monday. I told him the same thing when I spoke to him earlier. He kept saying I'll go back to work. No, you won't and Rick has got you covered. Even if they did tell him he could go back we just wouldn't allow it. They did all kinds of things to him, X-rays, shots etc. Sometimes I think when they have a workers compensation case they do more than normal. But maybe not.
He got the chemical stripper inside the wound and he said that was burning like the dickens. But when they cleaned that out he said he was in a lot of pain. He said, "ma'am I screamed like a little girl" 
But he refused pain medication for later. Knucklehead. I told him he should have taken the prescription and if he had trouble sleeping tonight due to the pain he'd have it. But he said no he didn't want drugs. I asked if he was in a lot of pain right now he said it hurts but he isn't in what he calls a lot of pain. Which is very good. But I have a feeling they may have numbed him when they stitched him and that may be alleviating some of the pain. They gave him a release for work on Monday so he will be back to work and good to go Monday. I told him there were easier ways to get out of work and that did make him have a hearty laugh. Now I just need to get Rick home in one piece.

8 comments:

Olga said...

Oh, my. That sounds awful and definitely black flourish.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Wow! Accidents happen so fast! I hope Gary's is a case where it looked and sounded worse than it actually turns out. Fingers crossed.

Ami said...

That's awful. I hope everything heals up without complication.
It's nice that you care about your worker.
The company I used to work for shits all over their injured workers.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Well, I'm glad I didn't have to look at that photo....sounds awful. He sounds just like my son who hates to take ANY kind of pill. He had a couple of teeth pulled a few days ago - nothing serious - but texted me to let me know "it's beginning to be really unpleasant". Good grief, just take the ibuprofen already. Men.

Mike said...

So, are you going to post the photo today?

What did Rick say when the guy asked if he could watch him?

Bilbo said...

Good thing this happened before the GOP manages to repeal the ACA!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

No, not posting the gross photo which I deleted anyway. At 9p last night (Fri)I checked in on him and the hospital drugs had worn off and he realized I may have been correct in taking the Rx home. Silly boy. He was a hurtin' camper. When you're flying high you think it will be fine. But there is always a crash. Lesson learned the hard way for that kid!

When Rick came home he showed me how it happened. I see now how easily that could have happened and I also now can see why it was so deep. ((shiver))

Julie H said...

oh poor Gary that sounds awful! Scott used super glue at work on his arm the other day. I asked if he cleaned it and he said he couldn't find anything to clean it with :/