Friday, March 24, 2017

Popcorn

This has been a crazy difficult week.
But it's Friday.
This will be my evening.
Wine.
Popcorn
Binge watching Grace and Frankie.

Okay I lied, the removal of my bra is on that damn list too.
God I hate bras....I digress.

This morning on Good Morning America they did a test to determine which popcorn tasted best.
The options were the following for the same amount of popcorn.
1.Gourmet popcorn $5.
2 Regular microwave popcorn $4
3. Kernels done on the stove as I do $.60

There were 6 or so people who tasted the 3 kinds in front of them.
They all picked the same popcorn. #3 for only $.60
They were all shocked but not me. I think that is the best-tasting popcorn.

It takes as long to do on the stove as it does in the microwave so you aren't really saving any time and certainly not any money. 
Besides you can make all kinds of flavor profiles.
I make all kinds of popcorn and I control the flavoring and use ingredients that are real and no chemicals.

I make some kick ass popcorns and have had neighbor friends invite themselves over for popcorn. Jenn used to do that all the time. One day she rang my bell and was standing there with a bottle of wine, a stick of butter and said that her boyfriend was out of town & did I wanna make some popcorn and have a few glasses of wine? It made me laugh. I told her to c'mon in. I made her favorite one and we had a great evening of popcorn, wine and girl talk.
Nothin' better on a Friday night.

So this weekend try it the old fashioned way and use real butter.
You only live once!

6 comments:

Mike said...

I'm afraid I have to stick with microwave popcorn. 1 minute 35 seconds and nothing to clean up.

Anonymous said...

We actually have one of those movie theater style poppers - the ones with the glass case & heated pan with the swirly bar and the kernels sort of bubble out as it pops. (We go through a lot of pop corn)

Haven't gotten into the flavor profiling stuff. Yet. One just never knows . . .

alessandra said...

Ha, that's funny, we used to make popcorn on the stove on Sunday afternoons, ages ago, but with extra vergin olive oil, it was delicious, the only downside is the persistent smell in kitchen which I hate.
It's one of those things that you do all the time for a while and then stop, but I may or may not buy a bag of pop corn kernels tomorrow ;)
Btw the friend showing up with a stick of butter sounds really funny.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Brian - add some of your favorite hot sauce to the oil and it is so good with beer. I had it in Houston at a bar. We were sitting at the bar and they added some tabasco in the oil before they popped the corn in a machine like you are talking about. It had just a bit of heat that made the beer go down perfectly. I do that to this day. Only I put it in the butter until it's orange and then pour it over the popcorn. YUM!

Alessandra - she was a hoot. She moved and I don't see her as often anymore. She gave me a beautiful bowl once and asked if I could fill it with what she called "my famous stuffed shells." I said I would make her some if she brings the wine. So we would end up with a fun evening of wine and food and laughter.

Julie H said...

Well you need to share those recipes! We have a popcorn maker that uses regular popcorn and spins it around as it heats up. We make it all the time too.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I'm with you...off with the bra at the first sign of relaxation comes into view.