Wow was this weekend a bust.
Let's start with the good day. Or 1/2 day.
Friday I had to work so how good could that be?
But at 5 pm Rick walked in the door with Laura.
Yipee.
Drinks and laughter ensued. Laura is used to good pizza from up north.
She loves pizza as well.
She wanted to have pizza so I made plans of pizza, wings, salad, dips etc.
I was going to make wings but then she told me she won't eat meat on Fridays.
So there was that. All of the things I was making were now out the door.
We only have awful pizza around these parts. Chain pizza shops.
So she wasn't too happy with the pizza which I knew would be the case.
But I made myself a cake. The only good part of the meal. (mine was fine, salad) It is a 3 ingredient souffle cake. Oh, my is it good.
It is naturally gluten free so I was hoping she would like it as much and Rick and I do.
Thankfully she liked it. She asked for the recipe to make it for her hubby. It is fabulous and I could eat it all myself with some wine. It pairs perfectly with wine. 😊(says Peg about everything)
She fell asleep on my sofa so we decided it must be time for bed.
Off to bed, we all went.
Rick as you know, brought her back to DC in the morning. After they left I went upstairs to strip the bed and bring the towels down to the laundry room.
She didn't even turn down the bed? What did she do, sleep on top of the comforter? Goof ball.
When Rick got back he brought Izzy to daycare so we would have a carefree birthday fun day for me. We made plans and I was eager to get a move on them
Rick returned home and as we were getting dressed his cell rang. He answered and I hear, "how much blood? what is the issue? okay okay, stop talking so I can get there." Gee that was rude I thought.
He hung up and said Izzy was hurt and we have to get her to the vet.
What? How hurt? Where? He was out the door. I was calling the vet who works at a clinic that is also a veterinary hospital on the 1st floor.
I called and said I wasn't sure what Rick was bringing in but I was told her foot was bleeding and they couldn't stop the bleeding.
Apparently, Izzy caught her nail (pinky toe) on something tore her toenail out from the root. Some of her toe has a cut as well. The owner at doggy day care carried her out to the car. Apologizing like crazy. Hey, she could have done this while in the woods with us. We surely didn't blame them. They don't even know what she caught it on. They saw a trail of blood and saw Izzy standing there.
Before they took Izzy to the back she and Rick were in the waiting room. There was blood everywhere and Rick told me it looked like a murder scene. I am glad he didn't show me that. They took Izzy back with the technicians and they had nothing to cut off. That nail was gone. They got the bleeding to stop and they bandaged her up. They said she was so sweet and didn't move or whine. I know this dog - she would never whine about pain, she will just look at you peripherally and be frozen in fear.
We were told to keep an eye on her. I didn't understand why since she wasn't given drugs. But I assumed if it began bleeding again etc.
They wrapped in a pink bandage and sent her home with the cone of shame.
Rick removed that immediately. She didn't bother the bandage. She can't walk on it so she just lays around. She won't go to the bathroom. I mean how long can she hold it?
This is her laying on the sofa. (yes I have a sheet on it so she doesn't scratch the leather. I'm anal like that)
She last went to the bathroom yesterday early afternoon. She peed this morning only after a lot of coaxing to get her outside and then she wouldn't go further.
So she is eating just fine but not pooping. She really doesn't want to walk on it at all.
We were told to take off the bandage today. We did. Oooh gross. She needs something on it so we wrapped it up again but smaller. She tried licking that so we put some lemon on her foot - not the open wound side- that would hurt and be mean. Just rubbed the lemon rind on the good part of her foot, knowing full well she hates that smell. Sure enough, she stopped with that. She took one lick and made a face. Kind of funny actually. But that stopped all that nonsense immediately.
I ran to the doggie store in the development on my lunch break. We put a bandage on the area and wrapped it back only we didn't buy a pink tape, this time it's green. (only color there) and we bought her a bootie for her foot. We thought that may help her walk a bit. The cold air or wet grass wouldn't be felt at all this way. Hey, it was worth a try.
After the bandage, she got a small treat for being still and we made her go outside. My goodness, this dog is as stubborn as her human father. He literally had to drag her. She peed and walked into the wooded area and pooped. YIPEE.
I think this thing on her foot helps her. She then walked home and smelled everything outside like she hasn't been there for years. Poor thing. Now that exhausted her and she is out like a light. I think covering the whole foot helped her. I could be wrong, but she went outside and that's all that matters.
So Saturday was a bust for my birthday fun. We can do it another weekend. Our plans will all still be there. Sunday I took apart our wine cellar.
Dusted and moved things around and all kinds of fun stuff.
This girl really knows how to live it up doesn't she?


8 comments:
Poor thing! And happy belated birthday to you, I hope you'll have some fun, some other day. xoxo
Poor Izzy! My dog can't walk with those cones of shame on his head.
Happy Birthday. Wine and cake would suit me just fine, too.
Get well Izzy.
You dusted the wine cellar? I thought dusty wine bottles were a status symbol!
Poor Izzy!! Oh - and Happy Birthday to you too Peg! You guys are great doggie parents. Hope your next attempt at the birthday weekend goes smoother. Maybe the weather will be better too.
Brian I am beginning to feel its this age thing that is ruining the birthdays. Not the same as when I was a carefree 30 yr old you know? :-)
Poor puppers!
What a great idea for rubbing lemon rind to keep her from licking. I'll try to remember that if Bud gets hurt.
Barbara, it really worked too!
Post a Comment