Thursday, March 9, 2017

Blogger

To all of you on blogger I am thinking of making this a private blog.
I see that if I do that only those on blogger and blog authors can read me.

Have any of you tried this? If so what happens to the people on word press or those that just don't have a blog who I would want to allow to read this?

The 2nd option was to make this private and I list all the people who can read me but it isn't clear on blogger if they are the URL of their blog or IP addresses or what list I would make.

Anyone have an experience with any of this?  The FAQ's aren't helping me.


14 comments:

alessandra said...

It shouldn't be very difficult, I think that if you start the procedure, blogger will lead you there. May I ask why if I'm not too nosy? ;)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Alessandra the only thing it tells you is you have 2 options - only those with a blogger account can read you. Or you tell them who can read you. But by what method it doesn't state. It says to list who can read you. By name? By IP address? by their blogger account? Then again it is only blogger folks. They make this so hard

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I have never tried it and never would. I think private blogs are nice for families or groups of people who want to "talk" privately but I don't see the point otherwise. I like to interact with strangers who might stumble on my blog. I've been blogging since 2001 and am on my fifth 'themed' blog and I've never had a problem with any of them being open to the public. I do moderate commons, though, to weed the spammers out.

Anonymous said...

Can't do it by IP because some folks are on systems that use dynamic IP addressing i.e. every time they log onto the network they are assigned what ever IP address is open at the time. Or they may peer into your world from different computers which would be a radically different IP.

Makes me think it must be by user name or some such.

Anonymous said...

First comment for me. I just found your blog a couple of weeks ago through Jean R. I'm enjoying it very much. I'm on wordpress. I don't know much about blogger. I hope you won't go private, but I know there are reasons sometimes.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Hello Bellarum, Thanks for coming by. I understand what you are saying. This is just so frustrating for me. I'd tell all what is happening but that would fuel the fire. I am just glad I can see them stalking and can moderate comments.

Silver in AZ said...

I have done this. Private means the only people are the ones you deem as 'authors.' (clearly make that only you.)

Re the other way, you list people by their email address. The only problem with doing that, is that updates to your blog never show as updates on peoples 'blog list' anymore, at least not on Blogger. Not sure if that applies to Feedly as well. So people won't realize you've posted an update unless they just check your blog daily/regularly manually. I found that a real bummer and dropped my comments significantly.

Other alternatives:

go to wordpress.com or wordpress.org

Or create a brand new blog, and only invite via email those you want to invite. Either create a new blogger user name/gmail account, or remove the new blog from your profile. I can assist you with that via email if you choose that path.

Good luck!

Ami said...

The thing I hate about it is that you get a message 'you aren't authorized to read this blog, you may want to contact the blog's author' and then there's no way to get contact information.

So if you do go private, let people know ahead of time so we can request access.

And whatever's going on, sorry.

I got stalked by a fuckwad of a work comp attorney. He tried to get me fired over my blog. What a shithead.

LL Cool Joe said...

I think you can list the people you want to read it via their emails, but I can't remember how you go about doing it! Everyone that wants to read you has to give you their emails I remember that much.

Silver in AZ said...

email me if you need more help or explanation or a walk-through...beyond what I gave above. silverwillow02@gmail.com. :)

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I considered doing that after I was "outed" by a patient of the office I used to work at (although that was not the cause of the "used to" part, lol). Because I'm not all that savy on the ins and outs of blogger, I decided not to do it....but then I haven't been harrassed either. Do let those of us who love reading your blog know so we can keep in touch.

Barbara said...

All I know is that people who have done this seem to have disappeared. I subscribed to new hidden blog but they seem to quit reading. Not sure what happens.

Julie H said...

Chris (diet coke rocks) has a private blog as well. She had sent me an invite by email so I'm assuming that is how it works.

Julie H said...

PS I have thought a lot about making mine private too. Most of the reason I don't blog much anymore is I can't write things everyone would read lol