Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Wind

Today I went out to the patio for a mid morning snack of strawberries.
Izzy and I enjoyed the sun on our face. I especially enjoyed being away from the phones.
I decided to open the umbrella and shade it and have dinner outside on the patio tonight.
After my little break I came back inside and went back to work.

Izzy was snoring her little dog snore as I worked.
I was on the phone with a customer when I heard a very loud banging sound.
Almost like pots and pans falling to the floor below me.
That of course woke Izzy and she began to bark.
I was ending my conversation and after hanging up with the customer I ran downstairs to see what had fallen.

Out on the patio I saw my umbrella out of the table lying on the ground.
The table top shattered and glass everywhere. Damn it!

When I was outside there wasn't  'wind' it was a bit breezy but not what I would call windy.
Neighbors on both sides of me had their umbrella's open just like me. But mine was the only one that this happened to. This is the 2nd time I have had to go through this.
Is my home situated in just the right vortex of wind to have this happen?
Blows my mind.

It's cheaper to replace the glass than to put this on my home owners because the deductible is more than the cost of replacement.

Can you believe all this glass? Keeping Izzy off the patio has been an issue because she has a doggie door out to the patio. I am waiting on Rick to get home because he has a shop vac in his van.

The green case is filled with grilling accessorries like big tongs, big fork etc. It actually knocked this off the table along with the mosquito thing you see on the floor.
So we won't be having dinner on the patio this evening.
Boy this is our week, Rick damaging the floating island and now the patio table.

9 comments:

Carolyn said...

Oh no!! So sorry that happened!! That's terrible.

I'm With Stupid said...

That's so weird how that happens. I guess the wind hits it at just the perfect angle and speed. What a mess. ha ;-)

Jay

Ms. A said...

I've been through this exact same thing twice myself, both at different times. We finally just cut some wood to replace the glass, because we had to replace the umbrellas, as well... and we're cheap. This happened several years ago and we're still finding glass.

Mike said...

That looks a lot like our patio table. Thanks for the warning.

Have Rick weld a metal brace that sits right below the hole in the glass that will hold the umbrella. Then have the hole cut bigger in the new glass top. OR get a different table.

mamahasspoken said...

I read somewhere that this is a common occurrence with glass top tables (especially Martha Stewart's) as in they will shadier without anything causing it. I remember this because that's the brand I have :o(

Carma Sez said...

totally sucks. been there. Hope you can go get a replacement on the cheap

a.k.a. Quintina said...

Yes, there is a weird vortex. We went thru four tables in less than two years. NO one else's would blow over but we are at the end and I supposed the wind would whip passed us just right. ( It has even gone over with the umbbrella closed.) We had to buy a shop vac and then afterwards get down on our knees with screw drivers for days on end to get the pieces wedged in cracks of the deck.... everytime it happened. We have spent the last three years with a tiny cafe style resin table that I dug out of the garage because I refuse to buy a new one again. And yes it has tiltled four or five times, but no need to dig out the shop vac.

Julie H said...

Man that sucks! My mom's little vacation place by me gets such a wind tunnel in her backyard it will actually rip the doors off the shed. Crazy!

Anonymous said...

oh my god. what a mess. I'm sorry you've had to go through this twice now. sheesh.