Monday, June 25, 2012

Odds and Ends with a Fun Video

The weekend was a lot of work and some play.
I want a weekend the other way around soon.

Had company at the lake so we were entertaining and all that entails.
For men reading this I know you all think that is fun.
For the women we know that isn't always true.
Constant cooking for one.
One doesn't eat mayo, onions, soy, milk and only fat free processed junk.
The child eats anything without cheese, meat, milk or nuts.
It was crazy.
Wish I could have afforded to take them out for every meal.

Even having hot dogs, burger, corn on the cob and potato salad wasn't possible.
No mayo, no meat.
I really hate cooking at the lake so I want easy peasy.
But it didn't work out that way.
The gorilla bread was a hit.
I didn't tell them it had condensed milk in it because they weren't allergic to milk they just don't like it.  Bad hostess right? Hey I needed some sanity too.

When company left we spent 5 1/2 hours putting all of our things in our home away into our "closet that locks"
Then we emptied all cupboards, fridge and freezer and cleaned them.
We have an extra refrigerator in the laundry area of the basement.
We put locks on it. So we fill up our fridge down there with everything in the kitchen fridge. This way we don't have to buy condiments and food all over again each time we go down there. We cleaned out the fridge, the whole house, the dock area and got it all ready for the first crew that arrives this week. It is going to be 96 on Thursday so being in the water should be great for them.

Remember that "island" we bought?

Rick put it up this weekend.
He and one other adult enjoyed it for short period of time.
I was floating around on a raft and figured I'd go over there when my drink needed refilled.
I  heard a loud bang, looked over toward the sound and all the air went out of it so quickly and it began to fold. All I could now see it Rick's feet.  Everyone is laughing.
The island had been blown up for a whole 30 minutes or less at this point and it is ruined.

While Rick was blowing it up he asked if I thought it needed more air.
I said, "This one area has some 'wrinkles' on the arm of the chair. But why don't we get in it first and see how it feels. We don't want to put too much in or it will blow won't it?"
He agreed and he left it alone. He and our visiting company LOVED it.
Rick even said while reclining in this that he couldn't believe how great this was but he did think it needed a bit more air. The company agreed.
They blew it up some more and well, you know the ending.

So in less than 30 minutes it was done, cooked!
I never even got to sit in this and I have wanted this for 8 years.
I guess the good part of all this is that a renter didn't do this.
I was not happy with Rick but better him than me that's for damn sure.

Last evening when we got home we settled in and watched a new HBO show.
We LOVED it.
The show is called Newsroom.
It is an Aaron Sorkin show.
Great people in this.
Sam Waterston, Jeff Daniels,Emily Mortimer, and Allison Pill to name a few.

Now I didn't watch West Wing. I think I was the only person who didn't.
But one of my favorite shows was by Aaron Sorkin called Sports Night.
Rick and I both loved that show and it had nothing to do with Sports really.
Sports were just the background. We both thought it was a lot like Sports Night only in a newsroom.
The fact that Rick and I both liked that show (sports nite) we knew that was the kiss of death. We don't tend to like what the masses do and sure enough it wasn't on more than 2 years.

We both really enjoyed the show and I hope that doesn't mean it will be canceled.
I really like Jeff Daniels and Sam Waterston.
I happen to love actors who look like real people too.
Character actors I think they are called when they aren't pretty boys.
(Charles Durning, Brian Dennehy to name a few)
Sam Waterston is very good in this and funny.
Not in an obviously comedic way but funny.

If you have HBO check it out.
Not much else on TV on Sunday nights in summer anyway right?

In the mean time I laughed out loud when I saw Jeff Daniels on Craig's show last week.
I hope you enjoy.  Give it a listen. I can't get the damn thing out of my head.
Here's your Monday toe tapper.

11 comments:

mamahasspoken said...

I read this and thought, they put too much air in it or one of them had something metal that popped it. My brother had one of those that he repaired and repaired until he couldn't repair it any more. Though he bought his on clearance. You might want to wait and do the same if you replace it.

Carolyn said...

That raft looked awesome! Too bad you didn't get to enjoy it. Maybe you will be able to get one for next summer!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bonnie & Carolyn

There will be no new one this year.
They are over $300 at Overton and other stores that supply these things. At Costco got it for $82.
It is the last one trust me!

Mike said...

That floating thing should have come with a repair kit. Super glue can fix anything.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike it did come with a repair kit for a small repair. This blew on the seam of the whole parameter of the damn thing. Too big to fix. He did a good job. Like I said I am glad I didn't do it that's for sure I would never have heard the end of another of Peg's blonde moments. I made a joke about using a roll of duct tape. The company laughed, he didn't.

Ms. A said...

Love Sam and I fell in love with Jeff, in Terms of Endearment!

Sorry about the island, that really bites! It may not have been made well, hardly anything is nowadays, regardless of how much you have to pay for it.

Bilbo said...

We don't do high-maintenance guests. If they don't eat what we eat, we always have directions to the local McDonalds available.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bilbo - the nearest McDonalds is 45 minutes away....damn should have thought about that.

Ms. A - oh this was human error on Rick's part. I think it was made just fine. Too much air. It was funny to see his butt & feet in the air as it folded in the middle and collapsed on him though.

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

I remember the days of entertaining at the cabin. Not all it's cracked up to be which is why they say the average person keeps theirs for 7 years only. I sure miss the cabin, but (shhhh) not the company!

The Jeff Daniels video was hysterical. I loved his song. I'll probably have it in my head all day now.

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

I remember the days of entertaining at the cabin. Not all it's cracked up to be which is why they say the average person keeps theirs for 7 years only. I sure miss the cabin, but (shhhh) not the company!

The Jeff Daniels video was hysterical. I loved his song. I'll probably have it in my head all day now.

Julie H said...

Noooo not the island!! I think if you bought it at Costco you can take it back. You can take anything back there.