Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Random Items and Updates

When it rain it pours.

I have gathered info on my patio table.
New glass in the table is $298 and up from all my calls.
A new table is $300. (no chairs just table)
To try to rig something up was about as much.
The idea of putting some wood there and maybe tiling was mentioned in my comments.
I had already suggested that to Rick and there is no support in the middle for that so he began showing me what he could do. By the time we were done with that the cost was about as much as a new table.
I will go out this weekend and see if there are any tables on sale in the stores without the chairs. I like my chairs they are very comfy. Online there was nothing!
So in the mean time we have some wood over it and we look like hillbilly's.
Our fun neighbors looked over the fence and where making funny comments.
We all had some good laughs but honestly when this happened last I was in corporate America as was Rick. Buying anything new was a no brainer. I just had it done!
I hate my new life.

We swept up the glass and hosed down the rest.
Then we got out the shop vac.
Today we have to get the glass in between the slats of wood that the vac couldn't get.
I imagine that will entail getting the drill and taking out the screws.
I want to do this before it turns into the heat wave predicted of 100 degrees.

Rick's work van needs a new alternator - soon. The alternator was about $550-600.
We found this fun fact out last night along with my Highlander.
My car was inspected yesterday and it passed.....but it was barely able to do so with my front brakes. So I need new brakes and they said it would be $560.+
So I think I will look elsewhere to see if front brakes can be a bit less than almost $600.
I surely don't want to skimp when it comes to my brakes but seriously this week is getting really expensive.
We are one disaster away from collapse at my house these days.
I'd start drinking but I have only really really good wine left in the cellar and I want to save that for a celebratory event not depression. So c'mon give me something to celebrate world!
I'm alive!  Yippee....Pop that cork on the '97 Jordan!

So that I am not completely Debbie Downer I do have some good news.
My mom is going home I believe today, possibly tomorrow.
The doctors have gone back and forth with her getting a pacemaker.
I talked to her yesterday morning and they say no pacemaker, then they tell her in the afternoon yes, then they said no again.
For all I know when I call today she will be getting one.
Odd to me that they can't decided.
In the big scheme of things this is a simple situation, a local only is used, so it shouldn't take too much out of her. Who knows what they are thinking.
She sounds great. She said she feels great.
I think even with the discomfort she is having she feels better than she has in years so I imagine in 6 months she will be bouncing off the walls.
This is all good news.

So looking at the glass half full some good news is in there.

I found this picture and this so reminded me of Izzy the Wonder Dog it made me smile.
I wanted to end with another positive. 
If you have a labrador you know this is your dog too.

11 comments:

Carolyn said...

Ugh that's awful sorry! You should definitly get another estimate with your car. Front brakes should not cost you anymore than $400.

Mike said...

Talk to Matt-Man. I'm sure he could have several cases of Wild Irish Rose on it's way to you in no time.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Is that what Matt-Man does Mike?
Hmmm.....:-)

regan said...

Peg.....crap comes in 3's!..... table, alternator, and brakes! Sorry, but at least you're done.....only good can come around now! Yay!

That pic is too damned funny....and true! Our dogs used to watch every spoonful of ice cream from the bowl to our mouths, cuz they knew they would get to lick the bowls! It used to drive me crazy, so I would send them away, but they would be peeking around the hallway corner, and they could always tell when the last bite was gone! Then they'd come racing out, and sit at attention in front of me, like they were saying 'Ok mom....you've had yours, now....let us at that bowl!" It still makes me laugh; I miss them so much! They've been gone 6 years now.

So....if this helps.....you've got a great hubby and a freakin awesome dog, and they both love you......so feel good about that!

mamahasspoken said...

Yes that's my labs and mutt too. Can't eat a thing without them watching and wanting to lick the bowl when you are finish.
As for the table glass, wow! I was just at the store today and they were clearing them out already for $100.
I got an idea: I can buy it and put it aside and hubby can make another trip to Big Bone Lick state Park. I'll make sure he passes Beaver Lick Baptist Church on his way ;o)
Yes, yes, I knew you would like that one too.

Julie H said...

I'm so glad my husband can do car stuff himself. Saved us loads over the years!

Sad with the table. Maybe watch the sales ads, those things seem to go on sale/clearance a lot this time of year.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Regan - oh you are right girl i am blessed in so many ways. Just whining today. :-)

Bonnie - you crack me up. Big Bone Lick and dear lord there is a Beaver Lick too? Wait until I tell Rick this one!!

Julie - I am hitting the stores this weekend to check out what I may find on the cheap.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Arnebya, yea that's correct and who the hell made that rule anyway? Let's punch 'em.
(thx about mom)

Ms. A said...

Glad to hear your Mom is on the mend! I understand the whining about the other stuff. I can relate. Everything we have is falling apart, including us!

Love that photo and caption!!!

Bilbo said...

Good news about your mom. The other stuff, not so much. It sounds like you need another bloggers' party. Oh, and the picture is absolutely dead on for poor Nessa ... who used to creep quietly into the kitchen, sit about six feet away from the table, and stare at us with those big, sad Lab eyes. When she got REALLY pushy, she'd come to the table, sit next to one of us and put her head in our lap.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bilbo - THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IZZY DOES!! She gives me those eyes like I'm starving her and then puts her head in my lap looking up at me like, how can you not feed me? It makes me laugh and melt at the same time.

Next bloggers get together is not on a school nite okay? Let's do a Friday night or Saturday.