Friday, July 29, 2022

😪

I got a text on Wednesday night from my dear friend in California. You may recall when we went out to visit Rick's family in Orange County we stopped and spent a day with our friends Rusty and Therese in Mission Viejo. 

We have been friends since 1995 when we met in Seattle. It's been a long crazy friendship. We would meet in Chicago when she attended an interior designer event each year. I would go into Chicago the weekend before the event so we could play over the weekend and then she would begin her conference on Monday for the full week and I'd head home.

She always had business in DC so I got to see her a lot from that as well. She did interior design and office modules etc for government offices around the country.

Anyway, my dear friend texted to tell me she was diagnosed with Dementia/AZL.

She told me that was why she hasn't responded, written, or called me. I am gob-smacked. This is all I've been able to think about for the last 24 hrs. This is too close to home as Rick said. She is 53. Only 53. 

I am afraid to ask too much. I don't know where they are emotionally and mentally. She did say in her text that she has been laying low and trying to come to terms with this. She is enrolled in something at UCI. Which I assume is University of California Irvine.  I did not speak with her on the phone. Last week when I called her she never responded so maybe when she text me back she did so because she can't talk about it yet. So I let everything go. I hope they tell me something when they know more. But my God this is heartbreaking.

Rusty and Rick both worked in the same office in Seattle. Rusty and Rick hit it off immediately. I met Rick one day for lunch and he introduced me to Rusty. I liked him right off the bat.  I saw why he and Rick hit it off.  One day Rick told me he met Rusty's wife. She was a firecracker. You will love her he kept saying. 

We were new in Seattle and the only people we knew at this point where those Rick worked with. We were invited to a party at one of the co-workers home. Rick came home and told me and said that Rusty is bringing his wife. I said, "good I can't wait to meet her"  He said, "I didn't tell you this but she's 22 yrs younger than Rusty. She is in college right now"   OMG Richard, is she a bimbo? Dating the older guy with money?

Margaret no, don't make assumptions. I'm telling you right now you'll eat your words and you two will end up the best of friends.

Okay, you're right. But c'mon 22 yrs younger? Rusty was all of 43/44. I admit I was a bit bummed. Because I needed a new friend here and Rick went on and on about he knew we would be friends but I'm thinking she's only 21/22 yrs old. I am 38 yrs old at the time.  Fast forward to the party. I met her and after talking to her I said to Rick, "Okay so she's the mature one!"  They all laughed.  She never once seemed like a kid to me. She was funny, smart, sassy and boy she had Rusty's number. When they met she was in school and waitressing. Then she took off a year to just work so she could get more money. She had a very meager upbringing with a single mom. This girl understood working. By the time she married Rusty she was in school full time and she finished shortly after we met.

When the owner of the company Rick and Rusty worked for was taken out in handcuffs for embezzling amongst a shitload of equally horrible things they were out of a job. But Therese knew what she wanted. She began working as a designer at a firm. But she knew she wanted her own firm. They decided to move to California after the job loss just as we moved. That is where with Rusty's help they built their business. Or as we tease her, Her empire.

It has grown into a multi-million dollar company. Then after we moved here last fall she told me they were going to try to sell the business. I realize Rusty had stepped back due to his health and age but I was surprised to hear this. He was still working just not 60 hrs a week like she does. Now that makes even more sense to me now. She can't continue. I know they have great long-term employees but she can't work like she did anymore. So now I understood why she was selling her "baby" 

Therese and Rusty never had children. Rusty has a grown son who lives in Europe.
So it is just them and their cat. 

I want to fly out there and do something. But I know logically there is nothing I can do for them at this stage. I wrote to Rusty to ask him some things and to let him know Rick and I are both here even if as a caregiver he just wants to unload and vent.

 I can't even begin to understand what Rusty must be going through. My heart aches for them both.

Okay, these are the only pics of us together I could find that we weren't on a boat looking like wet rats, in bathing suits, or laughing so hard only the roof of our mouths was showing. This was in 2016 or 2017 in Chicago for a fun weekend. Since we look so serious I will assume it was right after arrival and our first cocktail.  This is why I don't let people take my photo! 



13 comments:

Mike said...

There are boatloads of information on the internet about new therapies for Alzheimer's. There is a new drug that slows down the progression. Hopefully, she has a doctor that is up on all the new procedures and medicines. If this was caught early she should be OK for quite a while.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I've had that same bolt of lighting strike me too. That's what it feels like when a friend you've had for years is diagnosed with dementia/Alzheimer's. Mine I've known since kindergarten and earlier this year her husband had to email me with the news because she'd withdrawn from communicating with others. It's hard not knowing what if anything we can do or say to help or if acknowledging the loss is appropriate. Your friend is so young but at the same age my sister-in-law was diagnosed.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, I know and I am certain that going to the UCI department on Alzheimer's research and study will also really be beneficial to them both.

Jean, yep that is a good way to describe it, a lightning strike. I'm so sorry you have to go through this as does your friend. It seems to just suck for us all.

Peg said...

I am so very sorry about your friend. It's sad to say, but most of us in our senior years have someone in our lives affected by Alzheimer's or other dementia. My friend (since 2nd grade) has been diagnosed and is part of a drug trial. It's helping. She's not cured, of course, but I haven't noticed a decline in the last year or so. I'm not religious, but have a lot of faith in prayer. I've said a prayer for Therese, Rusty and you, too, Peg. Modern medicine gets better every day and there's a lot of research going on for better medicines and treatments. My husband is in a study to contribute data they use to compare him to others with and without the disease. He probably does not have it, they say, but still has tests several times a year including spinal fluid, PET scan, MRI, and written and oral tests. With people participating all over the country and pooling the data collected, there is hope for the future. I hope that you are feeling better every day and can get your life back soon.

Arkansas Patti said...

I am so sorry for her, her husband and for you. Did not see that coming from the beginning of this post.
Though it is crushing news, there are encouraging developments in the treatment. My neighbor and friend, who is my age, has dementia but with the meds she is on, I can't notice any diminishing mental sharpness. We still talk daily, laugh and there is rarely any repeating of stories. I know you are hurting for them. Early onset is terrifying but know she is probably getting the best of care.
You are all in my prayers.

Ami said...

I'm sorry to hear it.
An old friend from Colorado was diagnosed awhile back, he vowed to fight it as long as he could, but about 9 months ago he stopped being able to post or make sense, now none of us hear from him. He was probably about 53 when he was diagnosed, too.

Cop Car said...

I am sorry for your friend, and for you. It isn't easy knowing the best way to be a friend. Being a friend to a person with dementia is a long-haul thing.

That's what I told my husband 7 years ago when I learned that my friend (since 1963) had dementia. He agreed with me, completely, that I should sign up for that long haul. Ironically, it was only a year later that husband began to suspect that he, too, was developing dementia. Having lost his mother to Alzheimer's (confirmed by autopsy), he followed up with his primary care physician and announced his diagnosis to our family when his diagnosis was clear. From my experience with the two of them, I can say that the most helpful/reassuring thing I've done (according to them) is to acknowledge their diagnoses and promise to be there for them for as long as I live. It ain't easy, but it surely is easier than being the one who experiences dementia!!

Good luck!

Cruisin Paul said...

I'm so sorry hearing about your friend Peg. My friend has had Dementia and Parkinson's for many years. Al & I were playing pool one night and I noticed that he wasn't playing the normal. He was hitting any ball and later he wasn't able to even talk. What hurt me the most was when Al didn't even know who I was. He's still here but not here if you know what I mean. He's still my friend and will always be my friend. His wife Meilin sees him everyday. Dementia is a bad disease. It takes away who you are. I will pray for your friend Peg.


Cruisin Paul

bluzdude said...

So sorry, Peg. That's quite a jolt. Life can be so unfair.

Julie H said...

Well that is just the shits :(

Abby said...

So sorry, Peggy. What a shock.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Peg, I am hoping she does get good relief or help from her trial. It's sad for all involved. I dread the 'A' diseases most, ALS and Alzheimers. I will move to a state where I can end my life on my own terms if diagnosed with either of these!

Patti, thank you. yes I do think it's better today for a longer period of time. I hope she gets that too. I noticed her looks changing in the last year and I asked Rick about it. It wasn't aging but changing do you know what I mean? I wonder if AZL has anything to do with that. I know a weird thought.

Ami, thanks. That's very sad that no one told you. If it was a blogger, wouldn't someone like a friend or spouse update? Sorry you have to go through this.

Cop, I'm sorry you are having to be in this club. Boy are you correct with that last sentence!!

Paul, I'm sorry about your friend. It's a horrible disease and I'm sorry you have had this in your life.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

bluzdude, thanks. I hate getting older.

Abby, thanks. Yea it sucks.