Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to all here who celebrate this holiday.

I probably posted this in the past because I love it so.
It just reminds me of my family, my Grandmother especially.



Didn't everyone have lasagna on Thanksgiving like I did?
(don't fret there was the awful turkey and all those typical sides to go with it)

This old woman reminds me when my Grandmother would ask, "You hungry dear?" 
You would say, "No Gram"  
"Okay then just have a sandwich." As she puts it in front of you.  
Apparently, the thought of not being hungry was lost on her because she never understood "I'm not hungry grandma!" 
That somehow equates to a sandwich to her. 
My husband loved that about her. 
I see it on TV on the character Marie on Everybody Loves Raymond so my grandmother must not be the only one.

Rick loves to eat. If he could do so on a professional level, he's your guy.
Too bad he couldn't get paid for eating, he's very good at it and we'd be very very rich. 
He's also good at putting flavors together that I wouldn't have ever thought of and it's only been bad once in 32yrs of knowing him. 
It kills me when he'll eat something out and think about the flavors and how he can make this dish at home. 
I, on the other hand, think, how soon can I come back to eat here? 
I never think about cooking or making the food I am loving. Never. 
We are quite different in this respect.

Just this past Sunday night we discussed food he didn't like after he made us this rockin' pork loin stuffed with goat cheese, spinach, and tapenade. The gravy/sauce with this would knock your socks off, a touch of lemon and it was so smooth and creamy making it the perfect counter-balance to the tart cheese. Damn this guy is good. No recipe, he just had a few drinks and viola he wanted to make dinner. I did not stop him. 
He opens the pantry and starts taking things out and I'm saying, that going with that? Really? Eeww was my thought.
He continued with, "c'mon trust me. If it's awful we will make a couple of burgers."  
I asked what he wanted me to do to help him. 
Just like our first date, he told me to sit at the island and have a glass of wine and keep him company. 
I can do that! I can even do that very well!

I have such a long list of things I don't like it's easier to tell you what I do like.  He only has 2 things he prefers not to eat. Note the word, "prefers" Meaning he'll still eat it if it is in his food but he'd prefer not to eat these 2 things. (I can't do that, if no like, no eat!) 
1. Green Olives (yet he likes them in tapenade) go figure.
2. Octopus.
Well, who the hell does like octopus? 

I love green olives so I look out for him and take his olives like he takes my mushrooms.  Octopus? Oh, he's on his own!

Whatever you eat on Thanksgiving. Enjoy it and share!
I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving Holiday. 
Remember when eating that pumpkin pie, someone like me can't have a piece and I would so love some, so have another piece just for me!!!
No calories in that slice you take for me.😋 It will still end up on my hips.

20 comments:

Cruisin Paul said...

I loved that picture of the old Italian grandma. It brings back wonderful memories my Grandma. Every time we would go and have dinner at her house, she ould always tell me to mangia, mangia, mangia, which means eat,eat,eat. I never left her home starving. LOL This blog brought back dinner for Thanksgiving, the night before Christmas, Christmas and any dinners at her home. Thanks Peg.

Cruisin Paul ( F. Pietrangelo )

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Great post, wish I could help you with all of Rick's culinary explorations....that pork sounded delish. I hope y'all have a happy Thanksgiving!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Paul, oh I know what Mangia means. :-) Glad you got great memories from that.

Yvonne, You must come help us eat all his food. The other night he tried making cheese cake in indiviual ramikins. No recipe again. It was @#$!% fabulous. I didn't need that and asked him to stop with the food lately.
The other issue is he makes such an enormous amount of food. I had a piece, he had a piece. We had a huge pork loin left. Thankfully we like leftovers. But there have been times when a neighbor stops by and I make them bring food home. The kids to our left will smell Rick making food on the grill and before you know it they are coming over for dinner. We love that kind of thing because in all honesty he can't seem to cook for only 2 and we have so much leftover why not share. He cooks at the city mission for years for holidays and was in his glory because he made stuffing by the VAT. not a small roast pan - oh no - A VAT. He was quite happy!!

Abby said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Peggy. Rick sounds like a true artist in the kitchen. Since we're on the brink of moving, I've been trying similar things to just use up the stuff we have. As Rick what to do with Cheerios and mustard for me!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby, LOL. Sadly he'd probably come up with something. He may have an idea for cheerios and mustard because every time I say there is nothing to eat, viola he makes something. He doesn't clean up well though. :-) Happy Thanksgiving Abby to you and your family!

LL Cool Joe said...

No Thanksgiving day here in the UK just another boring day, with boring food. Have fun!!!

joeh said...

My 1/2 Italian wife is Irish in the kitchen, but she does make lasagna twice a year so that's two weeks of good eating.

I have learned that even tomato sauce with a meat base is gravy, calamari is pronounced "galama", and "stuta jeet" means I need to shut up.

Olga said...

My Italian mother in law always served ravioli at any holiday dinner. My husband wouldn't touch it.

bluzdude said...

My late grandmother, my aunts, and my mom are like that. Asking you if you're hungry is just a formality. Regardless of how you answer, food will appear in front of you.

Several years ago I was visiting with at my Aunt's in Pittsburgh before going out to a blogger's meetup for dinner. Aunt was serving dinner about 2 hours before I had to leave. I tried to pass on her dinner. But there was a plate for me anyway... I said, "I'm about to go out to dinner in a couple of hours!" She said, "But you might be hungry in the meantime..." So I ate dinner before I went out to eat dinner.

Mom always jokes that you can't win with an Italian cook. If there are any leftovers, she's unhappy because you didn't like it. If there are leftovers, she's unhappy because she didn't make enough.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

bluzdude, this made me laugh out loud. You understand. I've had to have many a dinner before dinner. Happy Thanksgiving.

Susan Kane said...

I enjoyed this post. No, I loved this post. Happy T-Giving!

Mike said...

"I never think about cooking or making the food I am loving. Never."

I'm right there with you on this one. We have to bring the rolls tomorrow. So I have to bake rolls tonight. phhhhsssssttttt!

Cruisin Paul said...

Happy Thanksgiving Peg & Rick. Enjoy the day but don't eat to much. LOL Eat all that you want. It's only one day. I did on the Canadian Thanksgiving. See ya.

Cruisin Paul

Bohemian said...

OMG your Grandma and the Memories you have Shared of her crack me up... it made my Thanksgiving Morning! Thank You!

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

You lucked out in the husband lotto, Margaret...getting one who likes to cook. Hope you both had a good holiday!

By the way, Don's mother was the same way about feeding anyone who walked in the door. You are there you eat.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Susan, yea. that makes me happy. HOpe you had a wonderful holiday.

Bohemian, thank you! Hope you had a great thxgiving.

Jean, yes I am lucky in that regard. The mess he makes and doesn't see is another story. I can tell you every ingredient by the mess. But I'd rather clean up after him than cook any day of the week! So I never complain to him. Wouldn't want him to stop. :-)

Barbara said...

I only had a little piece of pecan and a little piece of pumpkin and my sugar was still sky high. I ate fewer vegetables to make up for it! Rick cooks like some people can sit down at a piano and play a tune. My ex could do that. As for myself, I cannot make up a recipe or a tune. Lucky you.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara, You're right. I'm lucky in the cooking dept. I wish he did it more, I'm spoiled. I'm in the same club,I cant make up a recipe or a tune!!

Linda said...

I am totally with Rick on the green olives and I eat them in tapenade too. Isn't that odd?

That's a gift to be able to whip shit together. You picked well my dear.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Linda, I think I picked well, but his cooking is just an added bonus. 😉