Friday, November 8, 2019

Imaging Center

Well some of you really had some opinions about your favorite music. I loved it.
Some of you even got a bit hostile. I found it all funny though, no worries. I love that you all have such varied opinions. Hopefully that can and will keep making good music.

Rick had to have his renal tests today at 8am.
You see Rick has stage 3 kidney disease and has for some time now.
I do believe I've shared that before.
But suddenly his numbers took a slight turn. They are concerned as we all are.
But because it was a slight turn they told him to stop a couple of his drugs and over the counter items. That could be the cause or we could be dealing with someone far worse.
I can't wait to get the results.
He just lost 25lbs and we are hoping that will help with some of this.
He is a bear when he is dieting.

I keep telling him I'll give him a kidney should he need it. I hope I would be a match.
This morning he had to fast and drink 3 glasses of water 1 hr. prior and 1 gas x one hour before his tests. We found the Gas-X a head scratcher but did as we were told.
I write this as I await his text to tell me he's out of there and on to his appointments.

I made him coffee in a travel mug to keep in the truck while he's having his tests.
I know that the first thing he will want after getting out of there is coffee.
Neither of us do well without our morning coffee.

This whole kidney and A-fib shit is what made him do his DNA in the first place.
He is adopted and he thought it may help. Then he met his siblings.
He begged me not to tell them anything about his health.
He feared they would think he was looking to harvest organs. That made me laugh.
But the reality is they could think he just wanted to meet them for donor or something.
He so did not. He wasn't looking for them. He wanted to see his medical history but the dumb ass did the wrong DNA test. 23andme gives you all that information.
He did ancestry.com and his siblings popped up.
When I asked if he wanted to do the other test he said no. What is it going to do for him?
He has this he tells me. It's not like he can or could have prevented this according to his kidney doctor. Then why do they all ask him about his family after he tells them he is adopted.

I was thinking that it would be nice if when a child is adopted a list of medical history goes along with the paperwork. That would sure be helpful. But I also get why some don't wish to do that. My Step Mom is adopted. She never wanted to find her birth family. She says she couldn't care less. I never believed her when I was young. But now that I am older and see her as a human that is exactly how she deals with everything in her life. So I get her decision and it works for her.

I often wondered what I would do if I were adopted. I tease Rick that it would be a blessing to find I was adopted because I am 180 degrees different than my family. He searched for his mom I think because he didn't have a great relationship with his adoptive mother. But he adored his adopted father, I mean to tell you he worshiped him. So he never had the burning desire to look for him as he did his mother. And by the time he did wish to find him he had died from an accident.

While writing this I have stopped so many times. It is now almost 11am.
Rick had his tests. He tells me he flirted with the technician. Of course he did.
They talked about their favorite wines and that started those two off and running.
I heard about all the conversations and laughter. Of course he made her laugh.
Then she had to stop because she got a cramp in her finger. Rick said, give me your finger and he rubbed the tendon that was knotted and she was blown away; how he felt the knot and made it go away.  
She said at the end of this test, I am not supposed to tell you this but you've been so kind and happy this morning and no one ever is. Everything looks fine here Rick so don't worry.
But you didn't hear this from me!

So bonding over wines and then he rubs her finger and now they are friends for life.
He called to tell me all this in great detail and that everything looks fine. It probably was the meds as they thought. I can't wait to hear the kidney doctor tell him the same. Staying at stage 3 for as long as we can is our hope. Everything changes once we hit stage 4.

Only my Ricky would make friends at the imagining center.

16 comments:

Linda said...

So glad things look ok!!!

Did he find his birth mother?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Linda, he has but too long to write here. It was horrific. She was mean as a snake and hurt him terribly. Not an Oprah moment shall we say.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

My hairdresser's husband is adopted and her doctor suggested they both get DNA testing to see if there could be complications with the baby. I've had it done and found it fascinating but if I was guy I'd kind of worry that a child I didn't know about popped up who'd been looking for me. Sowing wild oats and all that.

Glad Rick had good news from his test.

Mike said...

"I do believe I've shared that before."

You have and I also have stage 3 kidney disease. My PCP says, 'eh, don't worry about it. We'll just keep an eye on it.'

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike glad yours is holding at 3!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, your train of thought is a good one. I am certain that happens all the time. Rick was a one night stand between a 16yr old and an 18yr old. He never knew she got pregnant. she was scooped away from California to Pa instantly

April said...

My dad's dad was adopted. Found out my mom's mom was also adopted (no one knew this until I saw a census when researching. Still haven't had any luck with finding anything out. Even had a kid that was on CBS Saturday morning show (he's like really good at dna stuff) do the research and he couldn't find anything out either. Sucks.

Glad he got good news.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Linda - here is the story of his mother if you'd like to read it. https://straightupnochaser.blogspot.com/2011/04/not-oprah-moment.html

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Hi April, I think back in the day things were held tightly, no open adoption etc. I also think a lot of that generation only whispered things you know? Hard to find the truth. It does suck for everyone looking. Sorry!

Abby said...

Glad Rick's tests went smoothly!
Gee, I don't know how I'd feel if I was adopted. I think I'd be curious about my birth parents, but maybe a little scared to find out details - what if they were people I didn't like!?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

well Abby that is exactly what Rick found when he met his birth mom. it was sad.

Arkansas Patti said...

So glad Rick was able to charm the good results out of the tech. I always feel they know but make you wait for the doctor. I always appreciate the early heads up.
I am so glad Rick had a great relationship with his adopted Dad. I will check out the link on his birth mother. Stay positive you two.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Morning Patti, thank you. now that we know nothing additional, like tumor or blockage we are no longer stressed. seems this was probably his other meds caused the change. Happy Saturday

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I got such a charge out of Rick massaging the tech's finger. Lol, I can just picture it in my mind ~ we do have very charming men and women patient's in our office, and it is always a joy when they step in the door. :-)

Of course I am thrilled that he is OK, and I'm sure everyone is letting go of that held breath. Good news.

It sure would be a good thing to pass along family health history with adoptions, although there would be some cases where it just wouldn't be available. I know you said you understood, but I sorta don't. But I do have trouble understanding why people make certain decisions, haha.

Julie H said...

I've got a kink in my neck maybe he can help me out haha.
Hope all the tests come back well, my step dad has congestive heart failure and his liver and kidneys were going too but he's improved a lot with diet.

Ami said...

I married a man who won't go to the doctor.
Drives me bugshit.
I'm so glad the technician was able to put everyone's mind at ease. :)