Thursday, November 7, 2019

Rock

I miss rock 'n roll music. I know I'm an old fuddy-duddy.
I do not like rap, so-called dance music or most of the pop music out there.
It all sounds the same. Same with country.
I did like some country but the new country all sounds like a boy band and the same. I do not like the country or otherwise boy band sound.

I recall in the early '90s or late '80s when rock was fading I watched a TV special with this guy called Garth Brooks. I had heard all this hoopla about the man. He had just played at our county fair and my husband said I hear he is a big deal now in Country Music but he made this gig when he was not so big and he is honoring it. Maybe we should go. 
I laughed and said, I am not a country fan I don't think so. 
Boy, would I have liked to have seen Garth! I loved all those from that time, Little Texas, Martina McBride, Trisha, and Travis Tritt to name a few. (Vince gill who I really like is now playing in the Eagles)

Not I love Adele, Kelly Clarkson, Bruno Mars and Pink to name a few newer artists.
But I love the rock driving sound.
I think we all enjoy what we grew up with don't you? 
I am certain that if I played some Allman Brothers a 20 something would think it was awful.  

When I was a child my mom listened to all the crooners. Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin were huge in our house. I can sing those songs today and remember the words. And I still like the music as well as Michael Buble who is of that same ilk. 

There are no more rock bands. 
Hell, most so-called artists don't even play an instrument today. 
Their singing is fixed in the studio.
Now if you wish to hear rock you must find a classic rock station and they just repeat the same songs to the point of hating the songs 

I recently heard Adam Levine from Maroon 5 talk on a podcast about rock 'n roll being absolutely dead. He's right, but I still hate that it's dead. 

I am curious to see what the next thing will be because this stuff I hear is so redundant and boring for me. 
I recall how my father hated rock music - to him it was noise. 
He'd tell me that all the time! I'm so old I am beginning to understand him now.

I used to play my albums loudly and he would come into my room and make me turn it down. As soon as I could afford headphones I bought them. 
Then he'd yell at me for listening to it so loud through my headphones. 
"Going to lose your hearing" he'd tell me over and over again.
Well I have. But I don't think that is the reason.
When he was 70ish he got hearing aids. 
I asked him if it was due to all that damn loud rock and roll you were listening to.  He stuck his tongue out at me. 
He knew I was just repeating his line he said to me for years. 

I don't think rock will come back in my lifetime. 
I just have to listen to my pandora with my list of rock, country, Motown & pop. 
At this point, I'd even take a big hair band.  Bon Jovi, are you listening? LOL

There are always songs that will remind me of a time, a person and I love that music can do that for you. 

What is your preferred musical genre? 

20 comments:

Annsterw said...

I love so many different genres depending on what I a doing. I learned to love some of the hip hop music of today from doing Zumba and Hip Hop exercise classes! It is so fun to dance to! Kidrock will always be my favorite although the country he puts out I am not so fond of. I love all those older country stars...esp Reba and loved Vince Gill too!!! Now days I am loving 70's music...it is so free and flowing and about love and happiness.... IE: "I'm on the Top of the World" or "Make it With you" or "Little Good News". Just a few that are on repeat for me right now! We have a lot of similar taste though....Pink was my favorite concert of all time and I love a little head banging rock to get psyched up for a night out!!! HUGS

Brian said...

Classic rock guy myself, although I also listen to some jazz, blues (real blues, not that R&B crap),can tolerate some country, but my favorite alternative is Zydeco.

It's true too - there seems to be very little in the way of new rock music. All those bands are doing reunion tours or something, trying to sucker all us boomers to come see their old wrinkly asses.

We did go see James Taylor (fantastic show) and an REO Speedwagon/Pat Benatar combo show. REO was great, Pat needs to accept her vocal range ain't what it used to be!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Brian that saddens me to hear Pat isn't the same. I have a blues CD she and Neil did that I really like. my favorite song title is "Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me" 😊

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Brian, to your point of we old guys going to see our aging rockers. wanted to see the Eagles, it was $175 per ticket for cheap seats. Nope, not gonna do it!

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I grew up on Rock-and-roll and I really don't listen to it or want to anymore. I dread going to a memory care place someday where that's all they'll play because I came of age during the rock-and-rock age.

You know I like country now but not Garth Brooks or Kelly Clarkson. Love Bruno Mars but I am hard pressed to think of a single country piece I would use the words "boy band" to describe. Well, maybe the really old ones from the 40s & 50's. For me it's, the storytelling aspect of country western that sucks me in but some artists have stories I don't connect with like with Brooks. He writes what he thinks will sell where as my favorite country storyteller is Toby Keith who writes what he sees around him. His "I want to talk about me" was my caregiver anthem for several years after Don's stroke because no one ever asked how I was doing but always asked how Don was doing.

bluzdude said...

If it doesn't rock, I'm not interested. I will be listening to rock n roll until I'm in the hole.

I thought I was the only one who was onto the Pat Benatar blues album from the early 90s. (We played "True Love" at my (first) wedding reception.)

When I listen to what passes for "rock" music today, I just hear noise. No artistry, no musicianship, no hooks, just a big wash of noise. My rule of thumb: If you can't hear a bass line, the music is crap.

Video and computer-enhanced vocals have ruined music.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Bluzdude, nice song for your wedding!! I have never met anyone who was familiar with that CD.yeah!😊

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, you made me laugh. We couldn't be more different. AND FYI...Garth doesn't write his own music. In fact his number one song, The Dance was written by someone else.
But I don't think you'll have to worry about rock at your senior living home. Don't think that will happen. I have a relative in a senior living apartment she is early 70's. They play elevator music so no one is offended. She hates it and told me it was like Chinese water torture. They should probably just not play music and others shouldn't play theirs so loud to annoy others. :-)

Grace said...

Well I'm 73 - so rock 'n roll music for me scans 60+ years - Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and like that. BB King, Fats Domino, The Neville Brothers and like that. The Drifters, Ben E. King, The Shirelles and on and on. But wait - The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Jefferson Airplane and on and on LOL Country? Patsy Cline, ever and always. Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson. And then we had instrumentals filling the Top 10 - Duane Eddy, Sandy Nelson, The Ventures, and the sexiest song in the world "Sleep Walk" by Santo and Johnny. The two best dance songs of all time are Glenn Miller's "In the Mood" and Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean". Then there are the pop/rock performers that were so brilliant they are unclassifiable - like Janis Joplin and Whitney Houston.

Too much music to love...

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Grace, great choices. Only the Santo and Johnny I have never heard of. I will have to google that. :-)

Mike said...

Rock around the clock. Forever.

I did just read an article about why newer music all sounds the same to older people. I'll have to see if I can find it again.

OK, I found it.

From the article... there is evidence that the brain’s ability to make subtle distinctions between different chords and other musical elements gets worse with age, so new, unfamiliar songs may in fact sound more alike to older ears than to younger ears.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/out-the-ooze/201910/why-old-people-hate-new-music

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Okay, I should have said the music Garth sings, not write. I don't like the stuff he sings including the very popular and sappy The Dance. I especially hate the song he sings about the widow who screws his brains out one summer when he was working on her farm. I hear that one almost every time I get in the car to go some place. I usually click over to The Highway channel at that point. LOL

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, got it.😊

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, that is very interesting. Although I just heard Blake Shelton say the same thing about todays country and he's only in his early 40s. I can't wait to read this, thank you!@

Mildred Ratched said...

I think we need to get together and listen to some tunes and pump up the volume!

joeh said...

Music evolves, rock did not go away, it just could not go any further. I loved Buddy Holly, all his songs were different, he experimented with different instruments and rhythms, which is also what made the Beatles so great. No telling where Buddy would have taken music. I love some aspects of all music, even some RAP.

Rock never died, it just could not grow anymore.

Put another dime in the juke box baby!

Susan Kane said...

I am a child of the 70s. Rolling Stones are part of that.

Credence Clearwater Revival is and will always be my favorite. John Fogerty is a brilliant writer.

You know, it is kinda hard to limit songs to one era or another.

While I may be stoned/hit with rocks for this, I don't really enjoy the Beatles. Good lyrics are essential and I don't feel it. Oh, Norwegian Woods is good. It's a migraine day.

Cruisin Paul said...

I prefer country western like Luke Bryan, but I enjoy any music but Rap. I hate it when it comes on the radio. I really enjoyed the Beatles when I was a teen. I really enjoyed Motown. I even met Stevie Wonder when he was Little Stevie Wonder. I worked on Boblo Island when I was young and met him. I also enjoyed Queen. Michael Buble is wonderful. Oh what the heck, I like everything except Rap as I said. Crazy, aren't I?
See ya Peg.

Cruisin Paul

Arkansas Patti said...

Loved the old rock but then some one invented Disco and I fled to Country. I thought if I had to hear one more falsetto voice I would just die. I'd say I miss the oldies but they are all on my computer now at 99 cents each.I am really eclectic in my choices from classical, rock, country to blues.

Ami said...

Hm. As a musician and vocalist from a very young age, my list of what I *don't* like is much shorter than the list of stuff I do enjoy.

I have played and performed everything from Bach to rock to country.

I don't love most opera and am keenly aware that you can't spell C-R-A-P without R-A-P.

My (CD) selections in the car this week, in random order... Neil Diamond, Elton John, Mozart's greatest hits, a karaoke CD with a bunch of random stuff, the soundtrack from The Sound Of Music, the soundtrack from Xanadu and The Moody Blues.

Not sure what's going to be in my CD player today, though.