Friday, December 28, 2018

Party

The lovely woman across the street from me, Karen, has invited us yet again to her holiday party she has after Christmas. Rick and I hate that we are across the street so she knows if we are home. So we can't say we have plans and will be out.
Gee, can I develop a severe illness that soon?

This time when she invited us I gave Rick an out.
I said I would love to stop by (nose growing) and that Rick has a long day on Friday so it may just be me. She said she understood that and looked forward to me being there.
Damn.

I told Rick that I gave him that out and he was thrilled with me.
Well, I've been married now 25 years in a day or two so I kind of know him.
If he was going he would be complaining about it.
Bad enough we have to go but then I have to have a whiner. No thanks.
I told him I would take one for the team.

While this is a very nice older woman this is not his cup of tea.
For that matter, it's certainly not mine either. But I can wear a Peggy face and Rick can't. In the past, this is just her family and a couple of her friends. (her children and their kids)
They are very nice but boring and the food is boring and it is all so white and waspy. I know that sounds mean. I'm sorry but it is what it is.  Lovely, kind people just not party people. No one is an extrovert so you have all these vanilla quiet people just standing there. It's so odd.

I know I see this through loud ethnic family vision so I get that.
This is probably what most of America does, just not anyone I know or am close to. One could sleep in a chair or on a sofa at this party and not be bothered.
My father would love that. Although my father could have slept through any of our parties, for some reason that never bothered him. I think because our family is loud, gregarious and always laughing so he was used to that type of noise.

Last year I stopped by with some goodies and had a drink and chatted with her kids who are all in their late 40's and 50's. It was all about their children which is not so much fun for others who don't know your children. But I wore my Peggy face and smiled and asked questions. My real inside voice was screaming LET ME OUT OF HERE!
They loved the appetizers I brought and that too was a topic of conversation - see how boring?  Oh, it's all so vanilla. No music, just standing around looking at one another. I am dreading this.

I will make something to bring on my lunch hour today.
I bought blinds this year to go on my front window along with my drapes.
Like this.

At night you can see right in so easily and let's face it Peg doesn't like to always wear pants. Last night I was wearing one of my favorite shirts of Rick's. It is just an inch above my knee. But I don't need the neighbors seeing that. So I close the blinds. Well, Karen doesn't like when the blinds are closed because she says she can't see if we're home. Ah, that is the point! Before she would see our TV on or some such thing and she said she felt better knowing we were home and just across the street. But she can see our car so I don't get why that made a difference. She asked why I got those and she giggled when she told me she had comfort when she could see Rick and I walk around our house. Eew, creepy.
I told her for that very reason, if you can see in so easily so can others.
I don't care for that.

My first week living here my neighbor's father was here helping her move in.
I was in my bathrobe. Because this is an open floor plan you can see from one end of the house to the other. I was at the fridge getting milk for Rick's coffee.
I put it on the shelf, or so I thought and let go and milk went everywhere.
Now we have boxes everywhere we are not moved in completely.
No paper towels. I just ripped off my robe and used it. I was naked underneath.
I stood at my kitchen sink and looked over at the same time my neighbors Dad walked by and looked in and I fell to the floor. At that exact moment, Rick is coming down the staircase and says, "Margaret why are you on the floor?"
And as he comes around the island he says, "Oooh boy you're naked on the floor!"  I crawled to where the fridge was so I could stand up and then ran up the stairs. All the while my hubby is asking what is going on? Why is your robe wet? What is all over the floor?

So you see, I don't like everyone looking in and seeing me clothed or unclothed.
Her father was gracious enough to say he didn't see a thing. I doubt that.
Poor guy, I probably scarred him for life. While Fran lived next door her father who was closer in age to us than we were to his daughter would come over and share wine with us. He was the greatest guy. He passed this year from cancer.

Think I can tell that story to the vanilla folks across the street? Yeah, think not.
Obligations suck.

I hope your holiday parties are fun with people you like.

I leave you my end of the year memes.













No automatic alt text available.



13 comments:

bluzdude said...

Sounds to me like Rick has to go to the next event. That's only fair...

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Oh. My. God. Karen would creep me out, knowing she looks in your windows ON PURPOSE! Creepy and rude. I've been in the same situation where a neighbor invited me over to a party I didn't want to go to. She was very religious and so were all her friends. I was SO out of place. The second time she invited me over with her friends I invented a "prior commitment" and took myself out to dinner, came back home and hid out in my bedroom.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Jean, that is just horrible. I too will be out of place here. I don't want to have to hide. Why is it in poor taste to say no thank you. And leave it at that? So I have to make food or buy something to bring and go stand around for an hour until I feel it has been the appropriate enough time to high tail it out of there. At least they aren't religious or lovers of the orange dr evil. Rick told me to call her and tell her I have diarrhea because I always say no one questions that. It made me giggle but I can't do it.

Mike said...

I'm always asking, 'Have I told you this already'. Or I just assume I did and don't mention it.

Ami said...

I just tell people,"Thank you so much for asking me! But I'm just not a party person. Hope you have a good time. " :)

Honesty. As comfortable as wiping the floor with your bathrobe.

LOLOLOL

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ami, I wish I had thought of that immediately. I am glad I could amuse you with my bathrobe story. It is funny now but my God it wasn't then!

Barbara said...

I agree with Ami. If you are truly not a party person then you just have to be tough and decline. My friends and family have finally given up on me and I am now able to tell the few that ask that I can't, won't and don't want to! There are so many people out there, like my daughter and my sister, who are glad to get together for a chat in the name of a party. I'm not one and the list of other things I am refusing to do is also growing. Man I sound mean.

Olga said...

Your neighbors party sounds like a gala with my family. We are all introverts. The first time my younger brother brought his to-be wife to a Sunday family dinner the poor woman was sure she had done something horrible that we should all be so very quiet in presence. Her family used to find my brother hiding behind the furnace in the cellar.

Julie H said...

I think you are coming down with something so you won't be able to attend. Keep the blinds down and say you couldn't get out of bed lol

Arkansas Patti said...

Think Rick has the answer with the sudden diarrhea. It is kind of like telling your boss you have female problems. No one asks for details and just accepts.

Anonymous said...

I just picked myself up off the floor laughing. Thank you so much for that. I woke up today feeling particularly "blue." I'm not sure which made me laugh more: your excellent little ditties at the end or the saga of your robe and the milk spill. Best idea gaining some privacy. We probably all have had some similar experiences that we can laugh about after the fact. Thanks again. And a healthy & happy New Year to you and your followers!

Abby said...

Ugh, I know exactly the type of "party" you're referring to. Bore-RING. (My in-laws have those). Good on you for taking one for the team. Your naked-on-the-floor story is hilarious, though! What would we do without creepy neighbors?

Cruisin Paul said...

Peg, Rick was so excited then you had to go upstairs to put some clothes on. That's what Mary Lou would do. LOL Enjoy the party if you go. See you my friend.

Cruisin Paul