Last evening as Rick and I were watching television.
A commercial came on about a diabetic medication.
The actual commercial, of course, was an ad for a law firm who wants you to call them once you get this symptom/side effect.
It said, "If you have a genital flesh-eating infection" call us now!
I was fluttering around and Rick was in his chair. I asked him if I heard that correctly. He too was chuckling. He rewound and we watched it again.
Yep, A GENITAL FLESH EATING INFECTION was a side effect of this medication.
Okay, that is not a laughing matter. But we laughed.
We are going to hell what can I tell you.
I mean if that is a side effect give me the disease. If people get this enough that one must be told to call this law firm if they get it, they must get this enough.
So I googled it. Sure enough, this is something that happens and apparently a good deal of the time.
Anal leakage is a symptom you hear about on these commercials all the time and that is not a fun side effect you wish to get.
But a flesh-eating disease on my genitals is something I want even less than anal leakage. I'll die of the disease first before taking this medication!
Now if you don't believe me go ahead - google this.
There is a plethora of information on this diabetic medication.
One of the sentences said to call a doctor immediately if you get redness or swelling in your genitals and have a fever. Who wouldn't?
Oops, my penis fell off, not calling the doctor though, let's go play golf.
This is just so crazy to me that I feel it falls under the banner of, "Only in America"
19 comments:
LOL! I'm always amazed at when they are advertising medicines and then the side effects are like LYMPHOMA and other horrible diseases. And the medication is for like acne or something similar (reaching a bit but yea). Like I'd take a pimple over cancer..
OMG - I took so medicine like those during a research trial. Let me tell you I had bad yeast infections from them. I quit doing it because I was tired of the infections! But that is scary!
Julie, not so far-fetched. Google the side effects for Accutane, for example.
We always laugh at those commercials, Peg.
"Side effects include but are not limited to blah blah blah and DEATH"
And people still go to their doctor and ask for the medications.
April - yeast infection is far better than flesh-eating disease on your yo-haw.
Ami - I know someone on the pill who got pregnant and she was taking Accutane. She had to abort due to accutane. It is horrible. Again, I'd take the pimples.
Wow! I don't know what else to say. YUCK! And how does the infection know to only eat genitals instead of, say, your lungs?
Side-effects are scary as all get out. We saw the one about genital gangrene. Another one was "sudden and explosive diarrhea". Others included sudden death, lymphoma, immense weight gain, and many others.
After reading the side effects one time, I decided I would rather have pain that take the med.
Jean, very good question. But sometimes the side effects are worse than the reason you are taking them.
Susan - we make a joke about that explosive diarrhea or anal leakage. Gee sounds like fun. :-)
Yes. I have seen that advertised also. I had a good many yeast infections when I was first diagnosed because apparently something that sugar does to your urine causes this. I haven't had any trouble since I started taking so much insulin. I also had yeast problems when I took antibiotics as a young woman. Other than that I never really had the problem. But when you start talking about flesh-eating hey, guess I'm going to be putting the OBGYN back on my list of doctors to visit yearly. I've also heard and heard about the leakage. Great something else to look forward to with my diabetic side effects.
Whoa, that is some pretty picky bacteria. Of all the flesh humans carry around, why does this specifically target the...? Nevermind, I don't think I want to know.
I googled an image search for "necrotizing fasciitis of the perineum". Very interesting.
Paul, I think it is a problem at any age!!
Mike, gross was the only word I could think of after seeing some pix before I wrote this. Hopefully we all don't need that medication.
I'm against those commercials just on principle; that we, the General TV-Watching Public, have no business asking our doctors for some specific drug we saw on TV. They should be telling US what the right medication is.
Bluzdude - so hopefully your doctor does not recommend the one that will give you a flesh eating infection on your genitals!
LOL! I guess this is where you have to weigh the possible side effects to what your issue is - like Julie said above - HA!!! Scary stuff these medicines today!! UGH
Yeah, I take my insulin but stay away from the other meds. Drs always try desperately to add more meds to your insulin to try and get your A1C to the sweet spot but I just have too many issues with them. And to Barbara above: Diabetics get yeast infections when taking antibiotics Dr any time they prescribe them, tell them you need an RX for Flucocan(? sorry, it's not near me but they know what it is) and ask for highest dose. Take it immediately before or after you start antibiotics. It's for yeast infection and will prevent you from getting it. I try to always keep a dose of two on hand just in case. FYI, this is why some of those meds cause genital issues because it increases sugar induced bacteria in that area. More than anyone wanted to know, I'm sure! Lol.
Pippa, gee I wish only diabetics got yeast infections because I spent my 20's and 30's with that issue after antiboditics. I too kept what I thought was diflucan (fluconazole) on hand for such occasions.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply only diabetes get yeast infections with antibiotics. Obviously it happens with non-diabetics also. I just meant diabetics are much more likely to get them once they become diabetic. Thanks for using the proper name, although I do like how I melded the two proper names together and came up with my own, lol!
Pippa, I used it so much I knew the name. Now that is pathetic isn't it?
Post a Comment