Friday, December 14, 2018

Dolls

A couple of years ago I wrote here about a home Rick went to at this time of year and each time he went in and out there was a life-size doll of an old woman sitting there. It creeped him out. 
He said to me, "it followed me"
Which of course, being the nice wife I am, made me laugh.
I couldn't find it on the blog. I put in all words I thought would bring that post up so you could be reminded of the creepy life-size doll with a photo.  It was as tall as me.

Yesterday he was at another home with dolls. Dolls all over the place.
The dolls were placed on furniture, at desks, on the sofa, playing out a scene.
There was a big doll at a desk as if she were working. (eyeglasses and all) 

Because he must go in and out of the home several times he continued to walk by this one doll by the staircase. He sent it to me with the header, look what greets me each time I go in and out of the house.

He said it was sitting at a random table that was completely out of place next to the stairs. He had to walk around it to get to the staircase. 
He makes me laugh how creeped out he gets by these dolls. He was happy this one was smaller. I am not sure why he thinks a smaller doll makes a difference but how damn funny he is about these dolls.

But then again, why do grown ass people have dolls all over their home?
Let alone sitting in random areas of the home. I find it funny as hell.
I also think it is beyond weird. So if you are reading this and you have dolls placed strategically around your home - explain yourself!



23 comments:

Cruisin Paul said...

If I was to see a balloon doll, I would think it was creepy also. Why do people even spend good money for crazy things like balloon dolls? It's a waste. See ya Peg.

Cruisin Paul

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

what is a balloon doll? a blow up? all were porcelain dolls and not blow up. IF that us what you mean.

Julie H said...

My aunt is a doll collector and doll maker. When I was pregnant with Jessica and right after she was born I used to go with her and hang out at the doll shop. I made a few porcelain dolls. It was fun :) They are all packed away right now but some day I might take them out again lol. My aunts house has dolls EVERYWHERE. 100's of them.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, Rick will never go to your Aunts house I guess. :-)

bluzdude said...

Back in The Day, when I was managing record stores, I used to like to place the various cardboard "standees" in unexpected places. My favorite was when my assistant was opening one morning, turned on the light in my pitch-dark backroom office, and found Stevie Wonder sitting cross-legged at my desk.

The shriek was heard from out on the sales floor.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

bluzdude, now that's funny!

Linda d said...

My father’s wife had a “doll” room. I hated when we were assigned to the doll room. It’s so hard to sleep with hundreds of little tiny glass eyes looking at you. I have no idea what the whole doll thing is about. What a hassle to keep clean

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Linda, keeping clean is something I never thought of, but good point. I just think it's weird. A grown up with dolls. Are they antique and worth some money? Or a little girl who never grew out of this phase and moved on with their life? It's odd to me. But it does remind me of Chucky just a bit.

Mike said...

So you need to call this gal and tell her when Rick goes out to move the dolls just a little bit everytime.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I have a doll in a glass showcase with other toys. She's the doll I played with when I was a kid. But I've been in doll collector's houses and they ARE creepy in mass. They had a hoarders episode once with a women who had pathways through a house with dolls. They had a horrible time getting her to agree to sell and donate some of them.

Susan Kane said...

I stayed in an Air bn Be where the lady collected dolls. Everywhere those creepy eyes stared at me. I understand.

t said...

I really love rag dolls and keep one in the living room at our 4 year old great-granddaughter's tea table. I guess I should have her facing away from people coming in!

Barbara said...

I have heard of older women with collections of dolls. I have never quite understood. Do they feel like company to the owner or are the memories of a sweet time in their life. I often have too much art on the walls. Everytime I move I try to cut down but for every picture I own that I don't put up, I seem to find another one that follows me home.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara, no such thing as too much art! Life size dolls are another thing. Interesting though that they could be recreating a time in their life. hmm....

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

t, rag dolls are not life size dolls. Raggesty Ann is a rag doll of sorts. I can't imagine anyone thinking that was creepy.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean, A doll saved from childhood as s momentous is normal. Several around your home staged is weird. I wonder what the hoarder got from the dolls.There must have been something you know? That show makes me sad.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Susan, ooh,so you understand. But I'm sorry you do.

Olga said...

That doll you have pictured there is very creepy. No matter what one collects, it really looks like too much of a good thing to the non-collector most of the time. Like collectors are from Mars and non-collectors are from Venus type thing. Clown collectors are what I don't understand.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Olga, not a fan of the clown, so that would disturb me. I am not a collector of anything. although my husband did not agree when I said that out loud. He says I collect shoes. Funny boy.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Clowns really creep me out whether it is one or a hundred. a live person or a doll-clown.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Agreed Jean!

Abby said...

I agree with Rick, it's creepy. A life-sized old lady doll is super creepy.
I have a facebook friend that makes baby dolls - gets all the various components and clothes and puts them together and paints their faces to look real. They are really creepy to me - look like baby cadavers - but apparently it's a lucrative little side gig for her.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

LL-agreed! I never liked playing with dolls so I am not normal I guess. I liked Barbie because I liked the clothes and the car etc. But those small dolls like look like small children are were never my thing.

Okay Abby - baby cadavers - Eewww! Lucrative side gig eh? I guess there something for everyone.