Christmas was snow free and quiet.
It was just lovely.
Rick and I opened a bottle of our favorite Prosecco and played some games in the dining room yesterday evening.
I kicked his ass at backgammon. He kicks mine at scrabble.
If I could spell I could whip him at Scrabble, but spelling is a key component as you know. Yet he insists on playing it.
I know why, he can win at scrabble. I win all the other games.
But my goodness does this bring on the laughter. I can't spell a lick and when I think it is spelled correctly he will tell me it's not. Because he cheats I am not certain if I am wrong or he is just screwing with me. Sometimes he just does both. So I must play with a dictionary nearby. Only to check spelling. It is allowed in our house even though it's against the rules because I can't spell. I can't look before I place the tiles.
But if he questions it I can look then.
We are so competitive and he cheats so there is a lot of teasing and kidding.
He debated when I won on ID. Yes, Richard, that is a word. He wanted a definition. He was convinced I didn't even know it was a word, those were just two tiles I had left. That made me laugh. He just couldn't stand it that I won at scramble since I ask him how to spell things constantly.
But c'mon everyone can spell ID.
Then we watched something on television.
That got Rick telling me that he will never ever date again.
I laughed and said, "ah, you're married mister I should hope not"
He said well if something happened to you I still wouldn't date.
"Ah, you planning something buddy?"
Oh my, goodness did the rest of this conversation make uproarious laughter.
Then I asked, okay pretend you'd have to write online what you are looking for? He rubbed his chin and said, "Well I just can't have a cat-lovin', bible thumpin, smoking, trump supporter."
Okay, but you can't write that on an ad Rick.
You should write what you want not what you don't want.
"Why not? Isn't there a Curmudgeon Website looking for nice women?
They even have a website for farmers and hillbillies for heaven's sake.
Why not we old curmudgeons?"
I don't know Rick, start one.
Oh my, he is certifiable.
Then he said, "I think the next one needs to be a smart ass ball buster."
I was shocked. I thought you hated that?
"Margaret, that is you, I love you. I am now used to that so who will keep me on my toes and make me laugh daily? "
Oh so you don't love it but you're used to it. Nice.
So for the next 30 minutes or so we laughed our asses off at pretend ads for Rick after I croak. I told him that if a woman answered anything this off the wall, she is the one for you. He asked which one I would respond to and I pointed and he said okay, that's the one. He asked what I would look for after he croaked.
I said, "Peace, quiet, no more mud tracked in on the floor and a non-snorer"
Oh, you'd miss the mud and snoring he tells me.
Sadly I really really would - a lot!
11 comments:
You two are made for each other!
Happy Christmas-is-behind-us, Margaret!
Love your humorous conversations. Laughter has definitely held you together.
Kind of like the idea of listing the "deal breakers" though.
You two have a good friendship which is the basis for a great marriage. I love your sparing. And I detest playing Scramble for the same reason you do.
My x-sister-in-law died 2-3 years ago and her husband, I just learned, thinks he's engaged to a Russian 22 year old girl. He's sent her ten thousand dollars to make the trip over here. She approached him on a poker site. That's the second time it's happened to someone I know! The other guy was stood up at the airport with a dozen roses and a cell phone number that no longer worked and thousands of dollar gone from his bank account. How can guys can be so gullible! Tell Rick to promise not to play cards online if you go first. LOL
I actually did a post on that very topic, back in 2014. I explained that even though I was newly single, I had no intention of rejoining a dating site, just because if I wrote an accurate profile it would have to look like this:
50-something, goofy-looking bald guy, sports fan and couch potato, seeks 50-something childless* female to hang out, watch action and monster movies, dine out, snuggle occasionally and go to ballgames. If you are a sports fan; I probably like your team’s biggest rival.
*Grown, out-of-the-house children are OK. In another city is better.
Will hold hands if it’s not so hot out, it makes our hands sweaty. Will not be told what to do. Will engage in witty repartee, if not annoyed by something that happened earlier in the day. Willing to travel to distant locations.**
** Pittsburgh, parents’ house in Florida.
Can’t work in the yard or on the car; prone to back spasms and hives. Heart problem is probably cured. Don’t move my glass or my pen. You can have the red freeze-pops if I can have the blue; we can negotiate the rest. No garlic, multi-syllabic vegetables or cream sauces.
If interested, send me an email. I hate talking on the phone.
What a prize, right? Good thing I met Sweetpea in real life first...
Abby, why I think so
Patti- yes there are days and have been years in our life where that is all that got us through.
Jean - that is what was nice this time around. I married my best friend. Remember we were just like the movie When Harry Met Sally. And I don't think when Rick plays poker online he will do that. He watches too much Dr. Phil and screams at the TV telling those men to not be so stupid. Besides he doesn't have lots of money to send anyone...tee hee
Bluzdude -well that would be funny to have read. There is a top for every pot they say. And hopefully, they find one another. :-)
I play words with friends and there are a lot of 2 letter words, don't ask me what they mean though haha.
I asked Scott if I died if he'd look for a replacement house cleaner or just live in filth. He was so confused that I asked him that lol.
You guys are crazy. Laughter is the magic of life. Glad you found such a nice way to spend the holiday. I'm looking forward to New Years so this will all be over. Hahaha. Shame on me. Christmas has just become too much expectation and anticipation. Give me a nice quiet holiday like New Years.
What filth? You mean the dust that helps build your immune system? Leave it alone!
Barbara, I no longer enjoy the holidays. It is just so much stress. So I too am looking for it to be over.
Mike, exactly what my husband says. You guys get this shit from that club you're all in?
Not many have a relationship like yours! You really deserve each other. :-)
Not sure how I got here but I love this post. You two sound happy and perfect for each other.
Post a Comment