Wednesday, January 2, 2019

2019

I don't normally get real complete time off. 
Being self-employed doesn't often allow for that.
But over Christmas time it is beyond dead. 
I actually did not work for 4 full days and it was fabulous! 

Now with all that time, you'd think I would get things done that I have been procrastinating. You'd think I'd use my time productively. Nope.
I was lazy. Rick being the enabler he is, only encourages that behavior.

But here it is Wednesday, January 2nd, 2019.
I feel awful. Moved less, ate more and drank a bit more than I should have.
Can't breathe in my jeans. I like to breathe. 
Can't get on the scale or look in the mirror. Nope, not gonna do it. Aaah!

I never make resolutions. 
Sets me up for failure was my excuse when I was 20.
Now I just don't bother. I know what I need to do. I need to stop eating, move more and put down the wine. So here we go. 

Our 25th anniversary was Dec 31st. 
We had a fun day planned. It was raining so hard with winds making it even worse.
All that we planned was now shelved. But I really didn't mind one bit.
Izzy was at doggy daycare so we didn't have to walk a dog in the rain which is always wonderful.

But now that our plans were changed we had a good laugh about how nice it was. Rick and I then decided to finish watching this crazy ass show on Netflix we started the evening before. 
Before you know it we finished season 1.
Ah, I say, why go out to lunch, I'll just make us lunch. 
So then Rick adds, "Well if we're staying home how about we have a drink, it is our anniversary."
We opened one of the bottles of our favorite Prosecco and well, needless to say, we never left our home.  
It was the most laid back quiet anniversary ever. We both loved it.

Normally we go out to dinner at a favorite joint. We come home because we hate being out and about on NYE. Sometimes friends come over and sometimes it's just us. More often than not, it's just us. Because let's face it we got married on NYE because we hate NYE. 

On our 15th we went back to the Bahamas/Sandals.  We love Sandals, got married at Sandals, but don't go to Bahamas Sandals. It was all Jersey like and the people were right out of Jersey shore and not like what we have found to be the normal couple at Sandals. 

But here we are, old and married 25 years and we just stayed home and had a wonderful meal and a great day. Rick made these steaks that were so out of this world for dinner. He sears them in a cast iron skillet with butter, garlic, and rosemary, basting them with the garlic butter and rosemary and then put them in the oven to finish them.  
I made Melting Potatoes that were damn good if I do say so myself and a salad. I had the easy job.

Then we opened a 21-year-old bottle of wine that we bought a case of in 1997 while in Sonoma. We can no longer afford this wine today but we've been holding out on this last bottle. It was a good occasion to enjoy this wine.
The meal was restaurant quality if we do say so ourselves.

Of course, while making this meal our dog was fast asleep thanks to doggy daycare playing all day. We put on music and because neighbors on both sides of us were out of town, we cranked up the music. We sang, danced in the kitchen and made a great meal. 

On the 31st we drank our prosecco out of our wedding champagne crystal glasses. Every year it brings us such joy and laughter to think of our good friends who engraved the wrong year. It just doesn't get any better than that. We love them! 



Then Rick tried a selfie. OH MY GOD.
Remember the first selfie ever?
Okay, this is no different except Rick looks nothing like Rick! 
I look like I'm being goosed. As is the case, my face is not in this but that's for the better really. You can see my brown and gray hair and the bags under my eyes. This was the morning of Dec 31st.  
No more photos. Ever. 

Now besides the fact that this looks NOTHING like him, the picture is reversed (or mirror image) and he is slouching to get us both in the photo since he is over 6'1 and I am 5'1". But I'm still not in it and his eyes are shut, that could be why he can't see what he is doing. When he showed me this picture I asked how it became a mirror image. He has no friggin' idea, only he could do this. This man is nuts.


Here is to a happy and healthy 2019.

19 comments:

Linda said...

Now this just made me smile....the real kind....with crinkled eyes and a squeezed up face. Happy Anniversary you two♥

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Thank you LInda. I Love the new photo of you in your hat in the corner. I don't recall seeing this. if it has always been there don't tell me!

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Sounds like you had a lovely anniversary! I would have to say that Romeo and I are not at all skilled in selfies either. We took one last summer and although Romeo looks great, I look like a maniac. :-)

Mike said...

I made a New Years resolution years ago and have kept it ever since. 'Never make another New Years resolution.'

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

It's -There will be no photos ever again!

Mike - best resolution ever made!!

Julie H said...

LOL you guys need to work on your selfies haha. I always have Scott take them because his arm is so long, our built in selfie stick haha.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Julie, no working on it, just no more!

Annsterw said...

Loved this whole post! Home with those you love is the best way to spend New Years in my opinion!!! Congrats on your anniversary - that is amazing that you are still singing and dancing in your kitchen after all these years!!!! Someday I hope to find someone to do that with...you are both very blessed!!! Happy Anniversary and Happy New Year!!!!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ann, of course you will. dont forget it took me awhile too!

Susan Kane said...

Great way to celebrate such a great event. Hard to believe 2.5 decades have passed, isn't it?

12/31--that is an excellent day! Happy NYeve.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Susan, it did go quickly, those 25 yrs. Happy New Year to you as well.

Barbara said...

Hahaha. I can sympathize with the height issue. My ex was 6'2" and I am 5'3". I never had a good dance with him.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara so you understand!!😉

Abby said...

Happy anniversary, you crazy kids! Sounds like a great celebration. I love the selfie - it's so messed up it's perfect!




Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm glad you had a good time, a good meal and great wine. That selfie had me laughing out loud at your description. I've never tried taking one but I'm pretty sure mine would look just as silly.

Olga said...

Sounds like a perfect anniversary celebration to me -- selfie and all. Here's to the next 25 years!

jade said...

Dear Peg, I think you look great for a woman who never stops working...
And also: selfies are always mirrored - there you go, nothing weird your man did (this time).
Enjoy another 25 years together and many after that. Hug and best wishes for the new year!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jade, HAPPY NEW YEAR! No, selfies aren't all mirror images.
The last one he took was fine. The staircase is in another side of the home in this one. Weird. So that was nice to say, but it's my goofy hubby.

Arkansas Patti said...

Congrats on 25 years. Impressive these days. Ha ha, you do look like you had been goosed with the wide eyed look. Think you should frame that one as a cautionary tale.