To add to Mike. I had a resident Roadrunner till the day he killed a red wing blackbird in front of me. I ran out to save the day for poor Red and that Roadrunner started running about 20 miles per hour towards the back of my yard. A hawk spied both of them and zoomed in on Roadrunner and prey. Right at the fence, the Roadrunner took to the air just long enough to hop the fence and bury himself in some shrubs. Only one not to survive was Red. Guess they can fly but not very well.
Well Patti that was a sad story. I guess this picture I saw of it in flight was a quick snap then for sure if they aren't off the ground that long. Obviously not a nice bird so I hope Wile E get him :-)
10 comments:
Roadrunner made me smile all the time. No logic every existed in that one which was part of its charm. But, why didn't it fly away? Good question.
Let me fix your anxiety.
From Wikipedia - "Although capable of limited flight, it spends most of its time on the ground, and can run at speeds up to 20 mph."
Hey. I was a Mighty Mouse fan and he has yet to save the day.
The Roadrunner flies the same way the Coyote does... by stepping off a cliff and hovering there for a couple of seconds.
So many ways we were duped as children -- and honestly I carried on with duping my own children.
Lol, I kinda liked the dust he would throw up when he took off.....and it seems to level the playing field, right?
Oh, right, Margaret. Next you'll tell us that coyotes don't mail-order rockets and strap them to their backs. As if.
Abby, oh they still do that.:-)
To add to Mike. I had a resident Roadrunner till the day he killed a red wing blackbird in front of me. I ran out to save the day for poor Red and that Roadrunner started running about 20 miles per hour towards the back of my yard. A hawk spied both of them and zoomed in on Roadrunner and prey. Right at the fence, the Roadrunner took to the air just long enough to hop the fence and bury himself in some shrubs. Only one not to survive was Red. Guess they can fly but not very well.
Well Patti that was a sad story.
I guess this picture I saw of it in flight was a quick snap then for sure if they aren't off the ground that long.
Obviously not a nice bird so I hope Wile E get him :-)
Post a Comment