Thursday, October 18, 2018

Squirrels and Snow

As I have told in many stories here that my husband is a country boy. I am his city girl. Our jobs never allowed for living in the country, at least not country enough for him. We have always compromised by being in the suburbs.
It was a real compromise since I wanted to live in the city core and he wanted to live on a mountain top.
Over the years we have both migrated to the others side just a wee bit.
Not enough that he had the same love of New York City as I do. 
But after my time in Vermont, I am wondering if I can really slow down my life to that point.

The vistas were perfection. 
The little villages were so storybook. But no Costco?
I laugh at myself just typing that but it's honestly a thought that went through my head. It seemed like everything was so far away. No grocery store just down the street. No liquor store to be seen where I was. (Poultney, Wells, Arlington and Manchester)

I say I want to slow down and while sitting on the deck with my morning coffee I was thinking I could really like this. My shoulders weren't up at my ears from stress. I found it instantly relaxing and less stressful. Just like I want my retirement to be. No traffic. God the lack of traffic alone would be a blessing.
I went through 6 states and I had no traffic until I got to the beltway. 
Then it was hurry up and wait. I sat and sat and that portion of my trip was the longest. But what about medical in those areas? Since I have medical issues as does Rick would that even be smart? Hmm.....

Rick would be a happy camper because of all the animals he'd see and have. 
I never grew up with any animals.
I didn't dislike them but was never exposed to any. 
When my father married my stepmom she came with a wonderful new sister and this little fuzzy toy poodle. 
This poodle was carried around like a purse. It wasn't an affectionate dog either. It yipped and snipped and was such a barker. It was my new sister's little dog and that is the only person he loved. The feeling was mutual. 

Looking back I am sure this poor dog was overwhelmed moving to a new home, more people and who could blame him. But this dog did not win me over and I was non-plussed with this dog.
My parents were not animal people so there just was no exposure to them. Even my extended family didn't have animals. 

Now I have always been scared to death of cats so there was that issue. 
But overall I was never exposed to animals until I met Rick. 
This man loves animals, all animals. Well, thankfully his least favorite animal is a cat so I don't have to worry about him bringing home a cat. 

If animals die or get hurt on tv or in a movie he is crying. (I will deny ever telling you this folks! ) If animals are hurt in any way he is a hot mess. 
Kids and dogs are his kryptonite. 
Slowly but surely he has brought animals into my life.
Especially dogs. He loves big dogs. I know every dog he has had. 
Every bird he has had. I don't wish to have a bird. 
A goat yes, a bird, not so much.

When we used to go to the beach in Erie PA there was a bird sanctuary. He loved to show me this bird or that bird. To me, he was this critter boy and that is what I began calling him. When we lived in the Pacific Northwest we got to see animals up close that I hadn't seen before in what I call real life.  Moose, coyotes, and eagles come to mind. To make you laugh at me a bit more, I thought the coyote under my window in our new apartment was a dog. So I yelled for Rick to come to see this big dog. He laughed and said that sure wasn't a dog and don't start calling them or petting them you goofball. I still had a lot to learn I realized. Oh, how I have been teased about that one.

Once there was a critter category on Jeopardy. Alright so it wasn't officially called Critter Category but in my mind, that is what it should have been called. 
He knew every answer before anyone and I would laugh at his answers. 
A Two-Toed Sloth? That is a real thing? Sure enough, that was the answer. 
Then I got a dissertation on the 2 and 3 toed sloth. I didn't much care but I heard it all and laughed. But you know what? They are cute little suckers. I mean, c'mon, have you seen a baby 2 toed sloth, yes you'll melt.

Once he took me to the county fair. To me, the county fair was for the rides and funnel cake. For Rick, it was to see all the animals. 
See how different we are?
Off to the fair we went, a sheep came over to him at the fence. Over the years I have seen all kinds of animals come directly to him like he's Dr. Doolittle.
Rick rubbed this sheep's head from the top of his head down to his nose and the sheep fell asleep standing up. The little boy next to him thought this was pretty cool and wanted to try, but his mother wouldn't let him put his hands through the fence to touch him. Silly mom.
Rick just has a way with animals that I never had.

If he had his way we would live on that mountaintop, have a slew of animals and it wouldn't snow much. 
That is his dream.
My dream is that I would love to have a couple of dogs and live near water.  What is this couple going to do?

I have followed him around the country until this move. This move was for me and my career and then looked what happened. So where we end up in the next couple of years will be interesting. It's too expensive to stay here unless I win the 900 million+ mega millions. Then we'd probably stay around these parts but in the country with a few acres. Not quite a mountain top but a nice compromise.

Critter Boy says every year that you can tell the winter by the squirrels. In 31 years he has never wavered or been wrong. This year he is perplexed. There are a ton of acorns but the squirrels are burying the nuts so to him that means a less snowy winter. We will have snow but not a ton. It will be very cold but less snow. I don't like either so doesn't help me much.

The other day he read the farmers almanac and of course, they are telling him just the opposite. He was actually doubting himself. Then last evening he got back with the dog and said that he and Izzy watched the squirrels and they are burying the nuts so the farmer's almanac is wrong for us here in the mid-Atlantic.
That's my Critter Boy!!

22 comments:

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I hope Rick is right about the less snow. My husband grew up on a farm and loved the country too, and always bought the Almanac. But making a living in the country wasn't possible for either of us. I used to want to live in the country as well but that's before I feel in love with Starbucks. Everything else you can order from Amazon.

It cracked me up every time you say that you are scared of cats. I grew up with cats and dogs both. There are some breeds of both I don't like, but they are few and far between.

Olga said...

My husband was an animal lover and they all seemed to love him as well. I always told him he was going to animal heaven even though he did not believe in afterlife existence. His sister went to a psychic after his death and was told he was surrounded by animals but kept his back turned to the psychic. (Pouting because he found out he was wrong about there being life after death is my guess!)

Olga said...

Oh, I also wanted to say that living in the country is a young person's game. In retirement, I like being closer to shops, doctors' offices, etc. I also like getting out of VT entirely during the winter months -- all seven of them -- well, five now thanks to global warming.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jean and Olga, you both are saying what I have been saying, can I live in the country at this age? I still say I must be near shops, medical and well a Costco would be nice (just kidding about Costco) I think Rick is beginning to see it my way. Even all the acreage he wants, how the hell is he taking care of all that over 65?.
And Jean - sorry, the squirrel prediction only works in the area he lives and sees the squirrels in action. So who knows what you all are in for up there. I predict snow...tee hee

Olga - I love that Mike was with all the animals. That will be my hubby. But he believes in an afterlife so there is that. I don't know where you live in VT but it is so rural. Then Rick reminded me that Fairfax VA has over 1 million people and that is double the population in VT. So while I have become misantrhopic, that may be too small for even me. :-)

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

Lived in the country or 18 years; did the whole commute thing. Would NEVER want to go back at this age (I'm 60, husband is 63). We live just west of Toronto in Canada in a beautiful town by lake Ontario. Everything is close by, the yard is small enough (just) to manage and the house is one floor living. Would love to move to a condo but the hubs likes to have a garage full of tools, etc. to play with. Maybe someday .... country - NEVER again. The winters were brutal.

Cruisin Paul said...

I grew up in a small town, Amherstburg my entire life. I lived in the city for one year after getting married and I hated it so after I had a home built just outside of the town. Growing up I always had a dog. After getting married my new wife told me that I had to make a decision, her or a dog. Well of course I didn't want to sleep with a dog. LOL I still can't live in a big city so I'll die in a small town. My would love to live near a river or lake or even a stream. We'll see soon because my wife & I want to move. Enjoy your day Peg & Rick. See ya.

Cruisin Paul

RO said...

I've moved more times than I can count on 2 hands, and comes from being in the USAF, and working in the telecommunications industry. I've lived in tiny towns and big cities. Like hubby, I love animals, but I've found that living in the tiny places sometimes comes with bugs, who are not my friends(lol) The irony is that I love snow, and even though I'm from Baltimore, I always end up living in places that have almost none.(lol) I sometimes think I want to move back to Virginia Beach, but then I think about all the hassles of moving, and at my age that just sucks. So give me a little but of small time flair, but big city love so I can hang out in Michaels and the local library any day. Sure hope you guys are having the best Thursday ever! Hugs...RO

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ro, Rick has mentioned VA Beach as an option. Only been there once so I can't say just yet. But it sure is cheaper down there. NC is the other one. Should make for an interesting couple of years until we can do this move.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Paul, you do make me laugh. I can't wait to hear where you move.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Whole Lotta - oh my God YYZ is my favorite city and I have spent so much of my summers there since you were just 3.5 hrs away from me in Erie PA. The CNE,and just about everything! Just my love of Canada. Grew up watching all Canadian channels growing up. If only I could live there by the lake. But I can't move to Canada without a job, pesky little rule. So in retirement (i'm 62) I could only go for 6 months. So I would pick summer and then a home back down here. After the huge lottery win that is. You are living my dream woman! (in mississauga?)

Brian said...

We're going to h ave to share that Mega Millions ya know. But there's plenty, I'm sure we'll both be able to retire in style!

Heh - You said YYZ referring to the Toronto Airport, I immediately thought of the tune by Rush (also from Canada!)

When I (we) DO retire, I'd love to move out into a more rural area, but we need to stay close to our kids too so we can spoil the grandkids.

Arkansas Patti said...

Actually you can live in the country and still be close--time wise--to medical. I am ten miles from the hospital but that is only 10 minutes due to no traffic. In the city it can take you 10 minutes to go a mile with gridlock.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Brian, I still live in my travel industry mode. Hard to break after 25+ years. Yes, I saw Rush in person, I know they are from Canada. I hated Rush. Boyfriend at the time loved them. So he took me to see Jefferson Airplane as a pay back. :-) And NO I AM NOT SHARING MY MEGA MILLIONS WITH YOU! C'mon I'm selfish like that - you know that.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Patti, that's called the suburbs. :-)

Peace Thyme said...

As you may or may not know, we just left living on the top of a mountain for 16 years. We have moved to the city, traffic, shops, school children, noise and, yes, a beautiful garden. I thought I would miss the mountain sooooo much. But it is not as bad as I thought. I miss the quiet and the peace and the greenhouse and the neighbors on the dirt road (all 1/4 mile or more away) but not as much as I thought. I miss walking the doggie in my PJ's and I miss looking at Mt. Evans every minute that I wanted to. But not as much as I thought.

Mike said...

I bought a mega millions and powerball today. I have a potential of 1.3 billion dollars in my pocket. At least for a few days.

Susan Kane said...

My husband is an Irish Catholic city boy, while I am a Bible belt protestant farm girl. We married, I left the farm, and we moved around. After living in the Mohave Desert for 7 years, we moved in Ireland for a few years (Irish f-in-law).

Now, I think about the youth in farmland, and hunger for it, visit once a year. But, living in a retirement community in So. Calif. is mighty nice.

Sounds like your experiences have provided a good mixture.

Barbara said...

I definitely like a man that animals like. Good sign of a good man. I've already moved from the city to the country and back. At first I was dying to get back to the city and it was good but then I started missing the country. Finally, I decided to grow where I was planted. Probably a good thing moneywise. However, given the right deal (man) I could move back to the country life. PS I say I need a man only because country living can be physically demanding.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike, I'm winning and not sharing.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Peace, good to know.

Susan, Ireland would be pretty but cold. sounds to me like it is perfect where you live now.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Barbara I understand, you need your lumberjack to cut the wood. But I think your community now looks pretty nice.

Julie H said...

The Dr thing is the only thing I can see holding you back. They have delivery for everything else ;)