Well, I got Rick to a movie theatre for the first time in something like 4-5 yrs.
Thankfully there were no mentions of ducking, finding your exit and how to save your life as they did 4-5 yrs ago on our last visit to a movie theatre. That all spooked him to his core. So it helped to keep him in his seat.
We received a $50 gift card from his daughter at Christmas 2017.
It was to an Alamo Drafthouse theatre. Where you have these big comfy seats and it is stadium seating with tables and you eat and enjoy your movie.
The food was eh, but the movie was good. We made this dinner and a movie but we should have just eaten before we left and just settled on popcorn.
It was sold out and as you go to the counter to get your tickets you can pick your seat. I had not encountered that before since I have not been to a theatre in many years. There were 4 seats left. All in the front row.
Rick and I like the 3rd row but it was the first row or no movie.
(Or a later movie which means my senior hubby would be asleep for the 10p show.)
So we decided to do the front row. The seat reclined and that helped.
We got the senior rate which still cracks us up. It's a senior discount of $10 if you are 60. The rest would be for booze and food. I admit it made me chuckle when Rick said we were seniors and did they need our ID? She looked at us both and chuckled and said, "nope" The fact that he thinks this 18-year-old doesn't see anyone over 45 as a senior is what makes me laugh. Besides we are 60. I know, I know he thinks he looks better than he does but it never ceases to make me laugh. He can be so delusional that man.
We got into our big fat seats. 1 1/2 of me could fit in this seat.
It was wonderful.
That made it feel like I wasn't on top of the people next to me.
Because in most chairs/places I can't reach the floor the seat was big enough for me to sit crosslegged, Indian style. It was great.
The previews were all the other A Star is Born movies. 30's 50's and 70's.
I have only seen the one with Judy Garland and James Mason from the 50's (HORRIBLE)
Then, of course, I saw the one in 1976 with Kristofferson and Streisand.
I was all of 20 years old when I saw this and thought Kristofferson was so hot. How funny to me now because I don't see him that way. Seeing these previews I think it shows it's age. It was very dated looking and sounding. And to think how I loved that movie and bought the soundtrack. An LP no less.
Then this movie began. There were some things I did not like.
It could have been because we were so damn close. But there were scenes where everything was spinning and I am not certain what the effect was supposed to be except I had to close my eyes. It wasn't when he was drunk or doing the drugs it was at odd times. There were other things as well but I don't want to spoil things for those who wish to see it.
Bradley Cooper and Stefani Germanotta were as good as the reviews have said. Especially Stephani. I have to say she looks better to me as herself with her real hair color and minimal makeup compared to Lady Gaga. I love her eyes which I have never noticed where that color or that shape with all the black liner.
Rick said as much when we were driving home. He felt she was so pretty as herself and he felt it was a shame that she felt she had to hide behind Gaga.
I responded that maybe she just likes herself with platinum hair and cat eyeliner. It doesn't mean she isn't comfortable. Just like I prefer my hair brown with some white around my face and not completely white.
Then he pointed out to me that that is what he means. Why aren't I comfortable just being white since I am. Oh, that smarty pants. I just hate when he does that to me. Okay okay, you win this one mister.
Her singing is so damn good. Her acting was very good.
I can't fathom anyone saying anything negative about that voice!
While I knew the story and the ending it still was a pretty good movie.
I was entertained and I very much liked the music.
Academy award worthy movie? I don't think so.
But Stefani may have a chance. I was really surprised at her depth in the movie.
Have you seen it? Did you like it or hate it?
19 comments:
I haven't seen it, and probably won't until it hits Amazon, Romeo isn't a fan of going to the theater, even though we did go to one of the stadium seat with larger seats the last time we went ~ he only agreed because he wanted to see the latest Star Wars movie (omg, you have no idea how many times we've watched those).
I agree that Stephani does look beautiful just as herself ~ and I look forward to seeing the movie!
My wife & I want to see that movie. Oh the seats are divine. The only problem is that it may put my wife to sleep. I have never fallen asleep at the movie. The only thing that I can't do is to sit right at the front. Never, never. See ya Peggy.
Cruisin Paul
No front row for me.
I'm surprised Germanotta is using her real name. Maybe she's making a transition.
I haven't been to the theater to see a movie in eons. Don't see myself ever going since I've developed a phobia of sitting in the dark, where I can't see what's crawling around on the floor, in chairs thousands have sat in before me, but I do understand her having to do the Lady Gaga thing. Real talent doesn't have a chance these days unless and until you first get your foot in the door and noticed with a gimmick.
Mike- she only used Stefani Germanotta when acting in the credits. Just saw her on Colbert and she was dressed as Gaga and said that is the real her. I found that sad. So I don't think there is a transition. When she acts she uses her real name and when she is singing she is Gaga she said.
Boots, I agree real talent shouldn't need gimmicks. You don't see Adele doing that. But Gaga's voice is superb, too bad she feels she needs the schtick.
It's - I have never seen a Star Wars movie. :-)
Paul - I have slept in a movie theatre and they weren't comfy seats. :-)
I cannot wait to see that movie! It looks so good - thanks for the endorsement - now I am really excited to get there~~hugs
Ann - oh wait. The movie isn't great, but I liked it. It is not substantial, something as I said was missing but the music is great. I liked it, not loved it. I loved Gaga and Cooper. In my humble opinion, it is not Academy Award-worthy but Lady Gaga is for sure!! Then tell me if you think she looks better with her natural hair and her face with normal makeup vs her Gaga look? I can't wait to hear what you think.
I would love to but the nearest theater is a 3 hour round trip for me. So it will have to wait for the DVD but I sure would love those comfy seats. Sounds marvelous though front row was only fun when I was 10 years old.
Patti Wherever do you live? 1.5 hrs to the nearest theatre? God love you. I couldn't do that. I am a city girl. :-)
But I bet it sure is pretty and I know my husband would love that. He married a city girl so the compromise is the 'burbs. But honestly, if we did not have a gift card to this theatre from his daughter we would probably wait too. Besides watching in your PJ's eating your own food is much better - and with my bra off. ...tee hee
I'm hoping to see it next week. I've heard nothing but good things about it.
I do think Lady Gaga has body image issues and that's why she hides behind all the costumes.
I loved the Streisand version and thought Kristofferson was great looking too. I was afraid I wouldn't like this new version since I like the others so well but I too was impressed with her acting abilities. And, I thought Bradley Cooper look delicious. I've never really thought him bad handsome with short hair or normal hair but with that long hair do, yep, I like it. I thought her acting was really good. I saw part of American Horror Story but not enough to tell if her acting was any good in that. I'm going to watch the Streisand version again as soon as I get stuck in the house on a rainy day.
Great review! I remember being all a-drool over Kris Kristofferson in the 70s version, even though I only ever just saw previews...
I want to see this one, though, because of Lady Gaga/ Germanotta. I'm not much a fan of Bradley Cooper. Think I'll wait for the crowds to settle down so I don't have to sit so close :)
See and I think Mason and Garland are by far the best couple up to this one. And o do like the original. I go to movies all the time, you can reserve seats online and then arrive at the movie whenever you like.
I was like who is Stephani? I thought it was Lady Gaga. Oh doh lol.
You know I watched the 70's one and it took me several days because I kept falling asleep! I could never go see a movie in recliners like that I'd be out like a light. I have move rules. Can't go see anything after 8, I will definitely fall asleep at that! Anything earlier there is still a chance. God I don't know what happened to me! Reminds me of when I was a kid and we went to San Francisco to see the Nutcracker and my mom fell asleep. I was mortified then but I so get it now haha.
That should say "movie rules"
Julie, I made Rick take a nap earlier in the day because I know he would have fallen asleep. He said to me, I think you're right I'm gonna lay on the sofa for awhile. He slept for 2.5 hrs before we went to a 7:30p show. He did not recline his seat though. I know that would have been the end of him. We haven't been to a evening show for over 10 yrs how bad and pathetic is that? When we used to go it was always in the afternoons. :-)
Barbara I can reverse seats? I am dense on that one.
Post a Comment