Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Hump Day

So many things going through my little head this week.
__________________________________________
Izzy is still dealing with Lyme. We had to go back to the vet 'cause symptoms were back.
She is back on medication.  A whopping $69.52 was the Costco discount price for her medication. Jeez. That is some discount isn't it?
Within 2 days of medication we see the difference. She wants to run and play more.
I think this affects her joints and that is the reason she won't walk or run much. 
Her fever is gone. I feel badly that she will have to deal with this her whole life.
We (vet and us) feel that this is the Lyme rearing it's head because of her symptoms but they did a panel of blood work so we are awaiting the results of those. We should hear from them today or tomorrow. I just hate her sad sick puppy eyes. She puts her head in your lap and looks at you as if to say, "help me please!" But she is a lovey dovey dog when she's sick and part of me loves that. Bad mommy.
___________________________________________
I am trying to get through a book for my book club that is an okay book.
Not a great book but not a bad one either. Just an okay book.
It's is written in a style that reminds me of a person  who just took a writing class. 
I am chomping at the bit to get started on 2 others that I have that are both highly recommended as well as highly acclaimed.
Last night while reading the required book I was so tempted to toss it and grab one of the other 2 instead. I plugged away and took a lot of intervals to look at the TV screen to see the baseball game.
___________________________________________
There was a young girl who's blog I read for a long time. She was a feisty young thing trying to find her way in the world. She and I talked off line and developed a friendship. Then she stopped writing. I wrote to her once and never heard from her. I knew she had moved to another state and was trying to get her sea legs so I didn't persist. I wish I had.
I found out that she passed away this past weekend. It is haunting me.

I know what you're thinking, you didn't really know her.
But I feel I did. And if not then by gosh she touched my heart then.
I have said this before that the friends I have made on the blog are real.
They aren't "pretend" friends as strangers may think.
These friends send me words to pick me up.
They write me kind thoughtful emails asking about me.
They aren't so self consumed that when you ask them a question for your sake they don't turn it around and make it about themselves.
I won't link them here but they know who they are.
Tammie and Jenny are two blogger buddies that have been there for me through some dark times.  Both have read between the lines and instinctively knew I needed that call or email and just reached out, sent gifts to cheer me and to lift me when I needed it most. They knew me enough to know it was a dark time. Isn't that the definition of a friend?  So called friends who see me physically weren't as thoughtful or that much of a friend.

This all came flooding back to me when I heard about the young woman's passing.
I wish I had continued to try to reach her. I know I told her how terrific she was but oh I don't know what.... I just am having a hard time with this.
I don't have facebook and that is how others knew of her diagnosis and passing.
I have rebelled and rebelled loudly against stupid facebook but if it means I have to do facebook I may just have to do it.
Damn you Facebook.

10 comments:

Mike said...

I mostly use Facebook for following my kids and other family members. I don't do a whole lot of posting. I think I have 32 friends.

mamahasspoken said...

I would so friend you on facebook! I do enjoy some of the things on FB but just today, was talking to a friend about how people need to learn about 'private chat' instead of posting it on their wall for all the world to see.
But seriously, I know what you are saying about having blogging friends. It's nice to have email conversations with you about life and stuff. Hope Izzy gets to feeling better soon!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - I may just have to suck it up. 32 friends is more than me - although that would be my cousins. :-)

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

I"m so sorry about your blog friend and about Izzy. There is nothing sadder than that, help me, dog face. At least you can get some good cuddling in, right? I have a personal FB but not one for my blog. Maybe you could just have FB for your close blog friends? I friended one of mine when she was shutting down her blog and we've been able to keep in touch ever since. FB definitely has its ups and downs - I find mostly ups!

flask said...

i win! i WIN the who has the fewest FB friends contest!

i KNEW that would come in handy someday.

book club: have you considered just stopping the thing and goign to the discussion stating that the thing was a waste of your time so you stopped reading it? that's a valid discussion point.

and as to blog friends, it doesn't matter if you never met the people.

when the Very Bad Thing happened to me and i spent a week wandering around northern virginia unable even to get myself home, something about that was more bearable because you were out there somewhere even if i'd never met you.

that's all i'm gonna say about it.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

flask - you just crack me up. I'm sure their must be some plaque for that don'tcha think?

Anonymous said...

Look me up, if you join.

Ms. A said...

I've lost several blog friends and their loss is just as real as those I've known in person. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Get well, Izzy!

Carolyn said...

I know this is late but I am so very sorry to hear of your friend passing. I hate that there can still be a stigma about bloggers and being friends, but there is real connections made on here and I am truly sorry for this loss.

Julie H said...

That's really sad :( I've had a few that have just disappeared and I wonder how they are doing from time to time.