Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Cake and a Little Somethin' Somethin'

When I met my husband he told me he didn't care for sweets.
My first thought was, "Hey, great more for me!"

One of our early date type nights he asked if I wanted share a dessert.
Are you kidding me?
I said NO, I prefer my own dessert.
He laughed and said, "No woman has ever said that to me."
I asked him, "did you notice what I ate?  (salad, dressing on the side)
I prefer the dessert to the meal."

As the years have turned he has begun to enjoy something sweet.
Or as he recently referred to it as, "a little somethin' somethin' "

A few weeks ago after a nice dinner and a glass of wine he tells me he needs a little somethin' somethin'.  I turned around and said, "NOW? and since when do you talk like that?"
I assumed he meant sex. Oh silly old me.

He began to laugh so hard his face turned red when he realized what I was thinking.
He walked over to the kitchen sink where I was cleaning up the evening’s dinner and he hugged me. He said, "oh you are so funny woman. I swear you dye your hair blond."

ME?  What would anyone automatically think when they hear a little somethin' somethin'?
He clarified for me that what he meant was that he was looking for something sweet.
I again said, " ME? NOW?" .
I now knew full well what he meant but I had to be a ball buster.

"Oh funny woman. I meant sweet as in a piece of candy or cake or something like that."

He continued on about a cupcake or a piece of cake.
I said, " I have jello."
He said "No."
I asked, "Would you like me to make a quick cake like a box? I have one."

"Would you?"

I said, "Okay. I'll do it." 
Hey a box cake is easy peasy so what the hell.
I just hate having a cake around because  -
1. I can't have gluten and 2. it is my kryptonite.
Also because it will be hard and dry before it is ever finished.

So as I begin to make Mr. Man a cake.  I remembered I had this recipe for a 5 minute cake to make in a coffee mug. It is the equivalent of a nice size piece of cake.

I mention to him that if I can make him 1 piece of cake instead of a whole cake, "Would that work for you? "
He responded with a happy, "Damn, that would be perfect!"

So I put pulled out that old email copy of the recipe and made him the 5 minute cake.
I put cool-whip on top and handed it to him.
You would have thought he was given the other somethin' somethin'. 
He was such a happy camper and moaning so.
When he finished the cup of cake he said, "that was perfect. Just enough."

This past weekend we went grocery shopping.
Bringing Rick to the grocery store is always a mistake but I did it anyways.
As I was looking at my list he was putting in butterscotch morsels and peanut butter morsels in our cart.   I asked him if he was planning on making something.
He laughed and said "NO!"

"So why did you put those in the cart then?"

"Well, didn't you use chocolate chips in the mug cake recipe?"

"Yes I did."

"I thought you might want to try peanut butter or butterscotch with the cocoa this time."

"This time?"

"Maybe this time you can make it yourself Rick it's simple."

"Maybe I could but it tastes better when you make it Margaret?"

"How old are you for god's sake?"

"57".....and he says this so proudly which makes me laugh out loud.

"It's my birthday"

"It is not your birthday until May."

"Bcause you love me then?"

"Not right now Bucko"

"That's okay you'll love me again later" as he laughs.

Seriously this is our exact conversation in the grocery store.
Just another reason why my husband should never ever go to the store with me.

I printed the recipe this morning so he can make himself his 5 minute cake.
5 minutes total to mix up in the cup and bake it!! 

I think at age 57 he can make this himself don't you? (ok not for his birthday!)

Stay Tuned to see if he makes this.

8 comments:

Ms. A said...

Rick might, but mine sure wouldn't.

Leisa said...

Oh my son's gonna make his future wife happy because he makes this all the time - and for his sisters as well!

mamahasspoken said...

My hubby is the same way. Though even with a simple recipe, he can't follow it in order to make it :o/

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

UPDATE - I had this post in my schedule to be posted while I've been sick with what Rick gave me - the stomach flu. Oh my!

He did indeed make this for himself with the peanut butter chips and he said it was like a cake of a peanut butter cup. He loved it. Knew he could do it.

Leisa - yes, your son is gonna make his wife / girlfriends very happy!!

Bonnie - Rick is a great cook and baker - he just has become very used to me doing things since I lost my corporate job. He has become spoiled. The first 1/2 of our marriage I did nothing in the kitchen except eat.

Carolyn said...

I love love those 5 minute cookie and cake recipes! So easy and so quick and just enough so you don't have a ton of goodies laying around.

Mike said...

He really wasted time on making food? He could have been working on his toilet paper shooter. I really need his phone number.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mike - no, no, no!!!
I made the mistake of telling him about it.He liked it too much. No he has no phone mike....no phone.

Julie H said...

Man I love cake too. Thank God birthdays at our house will be done after April.