Friday, April 5, 2013
Documentary
Have you heard about this documentary?
I am hooked.
I can't wait to see this film.
I am a sucker for a documentary.
Rick and I watched a great one the other night on PBS called Eat, Fast Live about health.
Last evening we saw this story on the evening news.
We both looked at one another when it was over and said, "we have to see this!"
This was a horrific time of our history. I find the stories compelling and have since I was a young girl and introduced to the Diary of Ann Frank. I remember being in 6th grade when I read that book. I drove my mom crazy talking about it for weeks. Looking back that makes me laugh because I am sure she was just sick of me bugging her about this. We had not learned a thing by that time in school about this topic. It was so riveting to me. Why was this happening to humans? How could they find reasons to laugh when everything was so bad? I kept driving her bonkers with my questions until one night after dinner while I was helping her dry dishes she said that it was time for me to read other books too. To read about a lot of different topics. I know now it was because she didn't have the answers. She didn't have anything more to add and I just couldn't understand the simple why?
If you watch this clip above notice how happy the people are who came out of that year and a half in a cave ended up being? Would you?
They see the positive. They are happy to be alive and free.They don't appear to be bitter.
Granted just a clip but you can see it in their faces can't you?
They don't seem to be whiners because they don't have new furniture or new clothes.
We all need to pay heed to that, certainly me included.
I am always amazed at how those who have had such difficulties remain so upbeat and CHOOSE to be happy. My father is one of those people. He drilled it into his kids. I certainly don't mean they don't feel pain, cry, worry, stress. But they overall are happy people who know there are struggles and deal with them and move on. No holding on to the ugly and using it as an excuse for their behavior.
Dad had a horrific childhood that could be a very depressing movie but when you meet him he is all smiles and he chooses to be happy. As he will tell you he has been blessed.
He never dwells on the bad stuff.
Why do you think the average person today does dwell on the bad stuff?
Why do they all think they are entitled to have everything they want when they want it?
The instant gratification is what everyone wants.
When did this switch occur and become acceptable behavior instead of the boorish obnoxious behavior it really is?
The men and women in this movie are people I would want to meet. To talk to. To listen to.
I find them to be a lost generation who gave their children everything they could and those children went on and have entitlement kids. Of course not all are that way but as a society the shift has turned.
Bilbo, a fellow blogger who writes a lot about history and teaches me a great deal, I'd love to hear what he has to say on this topic. You out there Bill?
So what do you all think? Do you see the shift? For the better or for the worse?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Eat, Fast Live came on last night at 3am but I was ready to give up for the night so I didn't watch it. I'm sure it will be on many more times over the next week.
The title An Ordinary Expedition doesn't sound familiar but the cave story does.
An Ordinary Expedition Mike? Did I miss something? You confused me.
I'll have to watch the link later but have you hear the term "1st world problems" like "I had to wait in line for my starbucks and then they made my order wrong". Our problems are nothing compared to people in other countries.
Julie, I fear the documentary you are talking about would make me a bit angry. I know someone who thinks everything that happens to her is the end of the world. When in fact she has the world by the ass and we should all be so "miserable"
The Eat, Live Fast is a diet and my hubby has already started and boy does it work for him. He will live like this he said.
I guess the name of this documentary is 'No Place on Earth'. But when I watched the video it looked like the name was 'An Ordinary Expedition'.
I also found the Eat, Fast Live video online. Very interesting.
Mike I know that most that watch or try this way of life will do so for weight loss. Rick and I were most intrigued about the overwhelming health benefits. Although rick has done this now for a few weeks because I got the book before we saw the video. He has lost 2.5lbs per week. (not counting the sick week) and he finds it easy and this is a man who can NEVER even contemplate dieting. He is also working with his doctor on this so it should be fascinating to see the end results. If he gets off his meds we will be thrilled!!
I heard something on the news about this a few days ago - wonder why it has not been more publicized before. I mean to live that long in a cave is remarkable and especially the history surrounding it. Especially here in the U.S. - the importance that is placed on superficial things is unreal and a huge waste of time. This is life at its most basic - survival. I have been trying to life a simpler life for years - succeeding in some ways and not in others. I really thing that is the key to a happy life - to be satisfied with experiences and not with accumulating more things. Have a great weekend!!
Julie's comment is spot-on. The problems most of us think we have are nothing compared to those in most of the rest of the world. The real issue is that we're so insulated from those sorts of problems that we never are able to develop the empathy to understand them, and when we're in a situation where our advantages are stripped away, it tends to bring out the worst, rather than the best in many of us. We saw it in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina. You have to marvel at the resilience of people like the family in Ukraine, and their ability to recover from things that would kill most of us in the 21st century. I really want to see that documentary.
Biill there is a generation of entitlement kids. This is a documentary that I wish were required viewing.
(....and there are entitlement adults too)
Post a Comment