We had a big fat bird just hanging out on our fence and garage roof .
This poor bird was acting nutso.
I should have taken a picture/video of this bird but I instead just stood there watching this bird going crazy with what may have been panic and/or worry. I couldn't take my eyes off the bird and his/her antics. I am assuming it was a her but I could be wrong.
Our garage is behind our townhome.
See that door? These two birds were casing the joint for a week.
I took this with my phone one day through the windows on the back of the house.
Then I didn't see them again for awhile.
Until...
Well that door is left open a great deal of the time for no good reason, we just don't close it behind us when we go in and out of it.
When all this commotion started the door was closed.
The bird had some twigs or something in his mouth and kept flying up to the window.
Then the bird would go to the roof, then the fence. It circled for hours. I realized this bird must have been building a nest in our garage and we didn't notice.
The bird couldn't get to it's nest and was in panic mode.
I felt badly for the bird but I really didn't want the nest in there so I wasn't about to go out there and open the door.
The problem with all this was that I have a big ole fridge in the garage and I have extra things stored in the garage cabinets as well. I go in and out of my garage several times a day. The reason I saw the bird was because I had to go out there.
So there I stood watching this poor thing trying to get to her nest and thinking how could I go into the garage without her following me in.
I wanted to get the steaks from the freezer to thaw so we could grill them for dinner.
I also needed some paper towels in the cabinet out there. (I have shit for extra storage inside my house so we use some garage cabinets)
The bird flew away or so I thought and I decided to make a run for it.
Oh yea, I got bombed by this damn bird.
It was like a hitchcock movie!
So now what the hell do I do? Why like any chicken shit I ran back out and into the house.
Yep I stood at the back wall of windows and watched for it to come out. Just stood there like a big ole baby. Then I made a run for it when I saw her fly out and I shut that damn door.
I have to admit I felt like a shit but I do not want a nest in there.
The clever little bird was building it's nest on top of the garage door opener.
Which is right over Rick's work bench.
I can just see all that bird shit all over him and the bench. While I admit that makes me giggle a bit I knew he would not be happy.
This poor bird circled the area for 2 days and gave up. Whew.
The nest is gone, the bird is gone and we keep the door closed now.
Lesson learned.

8 comments:
At least there were no eggs to worry about. You evicted them just in time.
Mike....we agree.
What Mike said.
Also, I would have done the same thing, remove the nest. The bird realized it had a nice, safe place until you get rid of it.
Bonnie - and this was while it was colder so they probably thought it was safe of wind and rain and cold too. Sorry birdies!
oh man that's too funny! I can just see it dive bombing you and you screaming ;)
We have these vents in the top of our house and there is one on our bedroom area. One time I could hear all this racket going on up there and I told Scott he better put something over it before they had a whole nest in there. He put some metal wire stuff over it and man they were pissed!
Julie - we had that too on our dryer vent. We put mesh over it and they were pissed for a few days. for some reason that makes me laugh.
That's where the phrase "bird brain" comes from. Just like us, they don't always feather their nests right the first time.
those are some incredibly ninja cardinals. You outwitted them in the end though...well done...
Post a Comment