Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Bubba's Achilles

At least one of the walks with Izzy is down at this area that I have shown you all before.
On most mornings I will go down here between 7:15a - 7:30a and stay down there throwing a ball or having her run with the other dogs to tire her out.  Then when I come back home I go upstairs to my office and she falls asleep next to my desk.  It's helps me immensley to get things done. Especially if I can give her a full 45 minutes of running at full speed.















Yesterday morning was a crazy morning. I got down there at 7:40a.  I have to be at my desk by 8:30 so I knew there wouldn't be enough time to exhaust her but she's been up since 4:45a and I was hoping this exercise would tire her out somewhat.

There are 3 moms who show up after they drop their kids off at the bus stop. These moms are nice to me and I assume it's because we all have a dog. I am not just that woman without kids for an hour or so you know?

As soon as Roxie took her dog Bubba off his leash to run he got hurt.
Bubba is a huge dog.  He is a mix of Wolf, Irish Wolfhound, Golden Retreiver and German Shepard.  They actually had Bubba's DNA done. I find that funny but that has nothing to do with my story here.

Bubba is easily 3 times the size of Izzy in height but they love to play. Bubba is so gentle and sweet. The size and temperment of an Irish Wolfhound I suppose and the face of a German Shepard.

Both dogs take off running and we are laughing at how Izzy's ears are flying because she is running so hard to keep up with Bubba with her short little legs. Then we see Bubba lift his left back leg at the same time he yelps of pain. We run to him and he is down!  We knew he was really hurt. Izzy came back and laid on the ground next to him like she knew.

Roxie checked Bubba's pads to be sure there wasn't something in there like broken glass etc.
I slowly ran my hand up and down her leg and didn't feel like it was broken but it could have been a fracture we couldn't feel. Bubba would not get up.
Of course Roxie is in a panic. This dog weighs over 125lbs. (Izzy is 65)
So it wasn't like we could just pick her up to carry her to the car.

Now you can't drive your car down to this area. There are these gates that do not open just there enough to stop cars from coming in. We had to find a way to get him out.
Roxie lives a little over a mile away and we could see that there was no way Bubba could walk it.
We decided that it would be best for her to walk home and get her car so she could take him directly to the vet's. I would stay behind with him.

I have been around Bubba and Roxie enough to know that Bubba is Roxie's shadow.  As Roxie began walking away Bubba tried to get up and stand on 3 legs.  He did it and tried walking but only got a few steps and laid down and cried.
Oh my this was sad to watch. I felt so helpless. 

The ground was very wet from having 3 inches of rain but the only thing that calmed him was me sitting next to him so down I went. I sat on the very wet mushy ground and rubbed him and Izzy sat on his other side with her paw over his. I wish I had my camera for that shot. It was adorable.  Bubba's breathing calmed down and he was no longer howling or crying.  But then all of a sudden, he got up and walked a few steps and then would lay down.  He wanted to leave but couldn't do more than a few steps.  So I went along. He did this hopping thing on his 3 good legs.

He would walk 2-3 steps.  Then he laid down.
We did this for what seemed like forever but I'm sure it felt worse for Bubba.
We got to the front entrance just as Roxie pulled her car down in the entrance.
We got him to walk a few more steps to the car.
Then we both lifted him into her van. What a heavy dog!
This whole time Bubba is crying in pain.
All I can say is thank God for a mommy van! 
That really helped having that big door on the side. 
As Roxie got into the drivers seat, Bubba put his big ole head on her thigh and looked up at her like, "Mom help me."  It was heartbreaking.

She thanked me a million times and left.
Izzy didn't get any exercise but it was now after 9am and I am late for work and 30 minutes from home by foot so we headed home. I had to change out of my wet jeans and underpants!  I am sure people who saw me walking home thought I may have peed my pants....or worse.
I didn't give a hoot what anyone thought but it sure didn't feel very good.

A few hours later Roxie stopped by with a beautiful orchid potted plant. The planter was gorgeous as well. She said it was a thank you for staying with her dog so she could get her car. Honestly anyone would do that for her and Bubba. It was so unnecessary. I didn't need a gift but that was awfully generous of her. I asked what the vet found and she said they don't know yet.

Later that evening I made it a point to walk by her home and knock on the door to hear the news. Poor Bubba tore his achilles tendon. The surgery was $5K and they don't have pet insurance. (ouch) And surgery doesn't always provide 100% healing or the fact that this won't happen again.  The poor dog has to stay in a confined area for 3 months. Impossible she said.  They wanted the dog in a crate but the biggest crate in the world does not give this huge dog the room to move and they felt it was inhuman. So they made an area of their home just for the dog. It is a 5' x 5' area built of furniture. The dog is on a lot of medication and if they miss the next dose the dog begins to howl so they don't have to worry about forgetting.

The options for this dog are bleak. The other leg showed it was just a matter of time for that one as well. The vet told the family that this could have happened anywhere and anytime, just jumping down off the sofa.  I won't go into all the gory details about the options and future but I will tell you that this dog is only 5 years old and they are very bleak. Roxie and her husband are discussing what they may have to do with option A and option B because they don't want to have to decide under extreme emotional stress. She also told me that she doesn't know if it gets to that point how the hell they will talk to their children about this.  Lie? Hmm....

I saw Roxie this morning after driving her one child to school as I was walking Izzy. 
She pulled over to give me some updates.
She told me that their 8 year old boy is sleeping downstairs with Bubba so he isn't alone. Apparently Bubba sleeps upstairs with the family and stairs are out of the question as I stated for 3 months. Bubba began howling for awhile after everyone went to bed.  Roxie and her husband have told the kids that they can't sleep on the floor downstairs but they found their son down there this morning. They said they are going to let him stay with Bubba and see how it works out. It also keeps Bubba from howling. (all that howling may be the part wolf  trait but man can this dog howl ) I know I'm not a mom but I think I'd make a bed for my son down there to help them both deal with this.  I don't see the harm of it.

That was my exciting Tuesday, how about you?

9 comments:

Carolyn said...

Aww poor Bubba!!!! I hope things work out okay!!! I wouldn't be able to handle anything like that to happen to my dogs.

Anonymous said...

poor bubba. and that poor family. the decision of whether or not to put a beloved pet to sleep is such a tough one. my heart goes out to that family.

Carma Sez said...

I would at least set out a sleeping bag on a pad so he could sleep near Bubba. Sad that the dog is in such pain. And it just happened from running?

Christopher said...

This makes me sad. I am going to go hug my kittens.

mamahasspoken said...

Wow this is a sad story! I know my dogs are such an important part of my family. I hope Bubba heals soon!

Raquel's World said...

This is so sad, and yet another reason I do not have pets. I could never afford the surgery or meds or any of that stuff, and then dealing with the death or injury of a pet would kill me emotionally. I would let the boy sleep on the floor with the dog.
Keep us posted.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I agree with you all.
Don't tell my husband but he was right. (i will never admit this)
He said we had to get pet insurance before we got Izzy. It is just under $27 a month. He insisted by telling me how labs have issues etc. So I did it kicking and screaming and she is only 2 and has been in the hospital 2x now. It has been a blessing for sure. If bubba's family had it would have only been $250 out of pocket for them. They are basing some of their decisions on money. That is so difficult.
I'll keep ya all posted.

Gal Friday said...

As Im read this, all I could think of was how awful for both Bubba and his loving human friends! This could easily happen to any of our dogs--the wrong move at the wrong time. It won't stop me from taking my dog out for her run(on big soccer fields near my house), though because it make her so happy.
I think we should all look into pet insurance.

Julie H said...

Poor Bubba and his family :( It's so sad losing a pet and/or making that decision on what you can afford to spend to "maybe" make them better.