I really enjoy Steve Martin. As he has aged he has evolved. He's not as silly thank goodness.
I have really enjoyed his books and his spots on Letterman always make me smile.
I saw him during his "Let's Get Small" comedy tour.
I don't remember the exact year but I am guessing this was around 1977.
It was before his first movie, The Jerk.
He came on stage in a white suit, he had his banjo, he put an arrow through his head and had "happy feet".
He showed a short film before he came on stage with Terri Garr and Buck Henry.
The movie was called 'The Absent Minded Waiter.'
I remember everyone in this enormous stadium going crazy over this film.
I re watched this film awhile ago on you tube and while it was cute I realized our humor has come a long way. Or possibly it was because in 1977 there may have been some smoking of some kind that made this hilarious. In that era he was the first of his kind. He didn't stand and tell traditional jokes so I think that was the appeal of his humor. He was different and so silly dressed as an adult male. It wasn't like he was a man child a.k.a. Pee Wee Herman.
But he was a silly naive adult. At that time there was no one before him that behaved this way. There was nothing better than he and Gilda Radnor on SNL back in the day.
I saw him on Letterman a few weeks ago and he performed his song, "Atheists have no songs" Oh my goodness did this song make me laugh out loud.
I was concerned someone would be offended if I listed it here but the more I thought about it I realized how can you possibly be? It's just a fact. If you believe in God then you know atheist don't have any songs. You have all the hymns and songs. If you are an Atheist you know you don't have any songs. It's funny no matter what side of this fence you are on.
So enjoy.
7 comments:
atheists have some very funny songs.
i just don't happen to have them bookmarked.
tim minchin comes to mind as a good starting place, though.
I've seen that! Yes, my humor has evolved into something totally different than it used to be. I don't have much left, but I DO love Steve!
PS: I'm doing a slight chuckle at your typo... sorry! I think you meant "hymn, not "hyman". *smile
I just love his movies, and this song it's hilarious, I appreciated the underpants part mostly ;)
I remember seeing that on Austin City Limits. I think Steve has been doing more banjo in the past few years.
i love, love, love steve martin. he was one of my first celeb crushes.
i follow him on Twitter and his tweets always make me laugh. a recent one went something like this, "Thinking of being a bad boy like Charlie Sheen. Going over the details with my wife."
Alessandra - I too love his movies. Even when he is serious.
Mike - He just won a grammy or was up for a grammy for his bango music.
Tammie - I thought you may enjoy this. How funny is that tweet? Oh my god that is funny!
Post a Comment