Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy Happy Happy?

In the big scheme of things in our world today my issues are so very small.
I am trying to not get upset or worked up about a lot of it but finding it difficult.
Which is odd isn't it?  Seriously I know these things are no big deal.
Is it the emotional toll of watching too much emotional tsunami coverage?
This morning when they showed all these children without parents not even crying but in utter shock and confusion I lost it.  I couldn't hold back the dam of waterworks.

I think I am going to give up news reports of all kinds for Lent. I know, I know, I'm not even Catholic or any part of an organized religion. But why should that stop me?  I was raised Catholic so I understand the season.

In the mean time we are only going to deal with happy, happy, happy.
In other words, I'm going to drink and take lots of happy pills

How are you dealing?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't stop watching. The not knowing would eat me up. My brain will not be fooled by looking away it will only make it worse.

So I watch a little. I read a little. I write a little. I hold out of r the stories of heroic rescues and stunning survival. I hope it doesn't get worse.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

CS - you are a stronger man than me. I know I will end up watching but today i need to give myself a break. peace.

alessandra said...

I don't watch too much, I'm only reminded of the fleetingness of our lives, and try to be happy, happy, happy, with the small/big things I have.
XOXO

Raquel's World said...

Well, Lucky for me I had some other horrible event happen right before my eyes this weekend that I will be posting about sometime this week. It kinda knocked the Japan thing off the map for me. Not that it compared at all but that it hit close to home.
Cheer up Peg! (((hugs)))

Ms. A said...

I know just how you feel. It's SO depressing.

Anonymous said...

i havent watched much coverage since it initially happened. i find that after a certain point, it doesnt really matter and that no real good comes from staying glued to the screen. i turned on the tv today and it was already on the news channel and there was a segment about new tsunami warning technology and the newscaster posed the question, "What if they had known in advance?" and it really irritated me. i mean, what does that matter RIGHT NOW for people struggling over in japan?

a few years back i blogged about something similar when there was another natural disaster and i said basically what you said, that at some point i just have to give up watching the news. and some anonymous commenter had left a comment stating that was wrong of me and i was choosing to remain ignorant.
but i still stand by my opinion.

Jenny said...

Let me know how that works out for you. ha!

The only thing that helps me cope is turning outside of myself...doing good deeds, working at the soup kitchen, turning out, out, out...because whenever I turn in things become even more magnified.

I hope things turn around for you soon.

Jenny said...

I just wanted to add that you can't really quantify grief, sadness, sorrow or problems. They are all big when we are going through them.

It is a time to be kind to yourself when you are feeling the hurt...from whatever place it comes.

Julie H said...

We hardly watch anything but cartoons and preteen shows around here so much of what I've seen has been from Facebook and You Tube. It's all so very very sad.