But for some giggles at the end of the week I bring you some funny photo's from the past.
This my Dad's first truck. Boy is he proud.
I remember this day only because of the excitment of my parents.
My Dad brought his truck to his brother Angelo's to show him and this pic is in Uncle Ange's driveway. My Dad has passed his Master Plumbers exam and was now officially in his own business! He was in his early 30's here. The printing on this truck is so funny and by today's standards pedestrian at best. Later my fathers business focus became industrial and commercial plumbing. Malls, nuclear power plants - that type of thing. I'm proud of him too. Because after the Navy he got his GED and had a booming business. The American Dream.
This pic is just here because I think it's funny.
What the hell was I looking at and what's with my hands.
Rick says I was probably trying to talk since I must have my hands going at the same time as my mouth. (his words people not mine!) Yes, here's baldy....
This was at my Aunt and Uncle's home. Look how small the kitchen is.
Wow, by today's standards that is a small bathroom.
And nobody whined. How did we get here? But I digress....
This picture is to show you the hair. My Aunt's hair looks like Marge Simpson to me. And my cousin Lynette's hair was something I coveted. My parents wouldn't let me wear my hair like this because I was not allowed to have my hair "in my eyes"
And yes there were only 7 people (4 adults) and all that food. Crazy Italians.
This is my sister Pam below in our back yard.
She went through a phase of wanting to be called Sam.
She was such a tomboy. This picture never ceases to crack me up.
She refused to wear a bathing suit top that day. My mother apparently got tired of agruing she picked her battles and let this one go. But for God knows what reason my sister insisted on wearing a bathing cap. What the hell is wrong with this picture? "I think today I will not wear a top but I must protect my pretty blonde hair"
This last one is a hoot isn't it? These are my sisters Pam, Stephanie & I with only a FEW of Dad's brother, Angelo and his sister Filomena's kids....not all were in the photo that day. (Yea seriously I have a lot of cousins because my Dad has 8 brothers and sisters!)
I think this is a fun picture of us. The chubby ones are all svelte now and the one with the thick glasses is very handsome today. The little babies are now old with babies of their own. I literally just turned 14 here (top left) but I look huge and older to me. Thank God I found tweezers! We were all together because it was a surprise birthday party for my Uncle. Any reason for this family to get together to eat, drink and laugh. This was March 1970. I was wearing wool plaid shorts. Thank God you can't see 'em. I thought it was a hot outfit too. Oh the 70's.
Thanks for stopping by.





3 comments:
I love your aunt's hair. She's pretty. That's quite the pool and bathing cap :-)
Love old photos.
Mary
Your pictures are a hoot. They remind me of mine - Irish family instead of Italian but lots of them.
I love the bathing cap (do they even make those anymore?) And whay would she wear a top with that? That is top enough.
The Chevy truck is my dream machine. I seriously have been dreaming of owning a refurbished Chevy truck from the 50's forever. I would paint it all shiny and red and take my dogs on long drives down Pacific Coast Highway 101. My Golden would be standing in the back with her ears flying out pretending she could fly.
The photo of you sitting on the stool talking with your hands is hysterical. I wonder what you were thinking? Looking at the expression on your face, I'm imagining it's exactly the same things you think today. Enjoying your blog posts for a while now, I have analyzed that you are a pretty deep thinker.
Your aunts kitchen is cottage size but your yard is HUGE. I'm laughing my head off at the hairdo. Every teenager I knew at some time or other in my day, had those bangs. My hair was wavy so I literally scotchtaped them down at night so they would be nice and straight the next day. Crazy Irish.
OMG Tia the scotch tape! I did that too but not bangs. The side "spit" curls like Gidget remember? I used scotch tape until I started having rashes in the shape of scotch tape. Then I got some pink tape made for your hair and it was cut with pinking shears - do you remember that?
Yes our yard was big. We grew up outside the city in the burbs. The family thought we were rich. The reality is my father didn't want me going to school where the riots were going on in the 60's so he moved us 15-20 minutes outside the city to the best schools in the state.
Post a Comment