Monday, April 26, 2010

Weekend of Advil and Wine....is that wrong?

It's dark, damp and a bit gloomy Monday here in our nation's capital.

Spent the weekend at the lake and it wasn't a big rollicking fun time. 
I have been taking advil to prove it.
It rained a lot. Didn't get near the yard work done that we wanted.  We did manage to power wash the old stain off the wrap around deck so the next time down we can restain.

The ride down Thursday after work we discussed our plan of attack on the house.
This is the ugly side of a 2nd home not close by.  It's been 5 months since we've been there.  The house inside is dusty and has that closed up smell.  Not pleasing when you walk in.

We dropped off our bags in the bedroom and got to work immediately.
I always remember the scene in On Golden Pond where they walk in and take off all the covers on all the furniture and open up the house.  That is how I feel. 
Open the windows and the cleaning begins.
Of course you didn't see Katherine Hepburn doing any of that did you?
Magically for her after the covers came off the furniture they were ready to go. 
It sure doesn't work like that for me.
Oh the cobwebs, the neglected old water that's been sitting in the toilet, the dust, a few dead bugs.  YIPEE.  So a lot of cleaning, dusting and window washing. 
There was a thick layer of yellow pollen on everything outside.  It was so gross!

 Day 1 of Advil - Rick spent Friday morning from breakfast to early afternoon sawing a huge tree that fell on our property into the lake. My Paul Bunyan was drenched in sweat and came up to the house when he was done for Advil. Then back outside for more work.

I, on the other hand was delegated to the inside of the house. But not to be outdone by Paul Bunyan I moved furniture and rocked the cleaning until it was time to make dinner.
Then as I slowed down I realized I began to hurt.
Now I do pilates 3 days a week. I walk 3 miles a day.  Why does this still hurt me?
What was that muscle in the right side of my lower back that was screaming at me?

We had ever intention of heading off to the drive in to see Date Night with Tina Fey but we were both whooped and decided we'd go tomorrow night. Ah, the best laid plans. 
So a bottle of wine was opened instead with an Advil chaser.

Saturday didn't give us much time to relax.  As Rick finished the power washing on the upper deck I was downstairs using the blower to blow off all the remaining leaves and tree "gunk" all over the firepit area and lower level. I was in charge of cleaning all the outside furniture that was piled up in the screened porch area.  There was so much pollen that I ended up wearing a bandana around my nose like an old fashioned cowboy from a western movie.
The bright blue chair was almost green from pollen.  I have never seen it like this and my allergies did not enjoy this.  Fast forward through the all the lifting, mulching, the damn wheel barrel to the evening shower and again I am feeling sore.  I again pop an advil and get ready for the drive in movies.
We began packing things to bring to the drive in.  I was so excited I mean, when was the last time you even saw a drive in?

Then the crack of thunder and then the lightening.  Okay this will pass.
But it never did.  It poured!!  It was a storm that even knocked out the satellite TV.
So no movie, no tv, only advil and our aching bodies. Which made us both laugh.

So there we were moaning about aches and pains, a storm outside and all plans shot to hell.

Sunday before we left we took a quick ride around the lake. You could actually see the pollen laying on the top of the water. I can't remember a time when it was this bad. So Izzy, Rick and Margaret are out on a dreary day on the lake wheezing and sneezing. It was rather funny.

Here's a shot of the dog - her poor eyes not loving what is in the air.

As we were boating around the lake looking at what is new since being there we found this house with all these beautiful azalea's.  I had to take a quick pic....and I mean quick as we were flying by

This was one of the new things we saw on the lake since we were there last.  I hope that ugly fence comes down when it's finished. House looks nice though.  Anyone got an extra 3 - 4 million?

This below is our neighbor's home. He brings up our property values....or do we bring down his property values? ...tee hee.  Anyway he is a famous author who's books you would know and the movies made from them.  I think I could get in trouble printing his name here so I won't. But you know him if you read.  Before we owned a home there (he's at the end of the cul-de-sac on the road we now live) we would go by on our boat and I would tell Rick I would be happy with something  like his dock for heaven's sake. Be careful what you wish for, trust me on this. Damn why didn't I say I just wanted this house?  Oh now foolish me!  I know you can't see the dock space but trust me it goes on and on with bays for 5 boats and a party area and a sunning area and a tiki bar. You get it.  Nicer than my house.

And just so you know that Izzy wasn't miserable the whole time and I am not a bad mom here she is looking better. She is enthralled witht the ducks.
Now back to work.

6 comments:

Jess at R/evolution of J said...

Stephen King? Tom Robins? Deepak? Am I getting close? ;-)

I had an advil and wine weekend too!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Hey Jess, nice to hear from you the last couple days. I hope you are well....miss your blog.

Well close in the sense they are authors but no. Not horror like Stephen, not spiritual like Deepok, and well I don't know Tim Robbins except the actor. :-)
But it is a man.

Anonymous said...

i love izzys ears. i just want to gently pull on them and rub them on my face. is that weird?

the pollen problem in florida was crazy this year. the worst i had ever seen it. my house has three sets of glass doors and since the weather was nice i kept them open during the day. there was soon a layer of pollen on everything in the house.

ive heard other people complain about the pollen this year too, i wonder why it was so bad?

oh, and i love your new header. so appropriate.

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

I love your pictures and especially of Izzy. Good to see he's feeling better. In that last picture it looks like he's seriously thinking of chasing a duck. I hope you get through all the cleaning and sprucing up it takes to make your lake house liveable (I know just how that goes). I want to picture you instead, just like you guys look in your awesome new header!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Me too Tia!!! Izzy is a girl by the way. She doesn't mind being called a boy but she's too pretty to be a boy. :-)

Signed,
Proud Mama

Gal Friday said...

Such a gorgeous dog(and the scenery ani't too shabby, either!). If you ever get the chance, check out the blog "Content In A Cottage"
http://contentinacottage.blogspot.com/
Rosemary has a half choc. Lab/half pit bull that would make a fine "friend" for your Izzie, I think. ;-)
I am astounded by those HUGE houses on the lake!(is you's as large?) I have stayed in cabins on lakes(in northern New England) but they were just that...cabins, not mini-mansions.